SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

There is a reason for everything. Now we know exactly why they bought the game out. Hopefully, one of these weeks NDSU fans and their media will finally get over it. :silly:

To play devil's advocate (and I am sure most Bison fans will think this way) if MSU was such in a money crunch why did they wait until February to buyout the game instead of buying it out back in December or earlier. But maybe MSU didn't know how bad it was until February. I don't know.

To play devil's advocate (and I am sure most Bison fans will think this way) if MSU was such in a money crunch why did they wait until February to buyout the game instead of buying it out back in December or earlier. But maybe MSU didn't know how bad it was until February. I don't know.

They didn't have an FBS money game on the table until then would be my guess.

They didn't have an FBS money game on the table until then would be my guess.

Its pretty unfortunate situation for MSU. Raising prices always sucks from a fan standpoint, plus now you add getting critized for backing out of a H&H game. If MSU has a bad year....heads may roll in Bozeman.

300k is pretty mediocre for a marque fcs team, but this would jive with them looking at the last minute for some extra cash.

re: darell: if MSU got into this bad of shape, someones head should probably roll either way.

Very true. Or else someone needs better accounting skills.

300k is pretty mediocre for a marque fcs team, but this would jive with them looking at the last minute for some extra cash.

re: darell: if MSU got into this bad of shape, someones head should probably roll either way.

Perhaps temporary strain on the budget for long-term gains.

Catholic 7 get to keep the Big East name, and will add Xavier and Butler and will begin play next fall according to ESPN:

The Big East's seven departing Catholic schools are expected to start their own league next season and will keep the Big East Conference name, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil.

Joining the Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova -- in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Butler, Xavier and a team yet to be determined are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 13-team league.

Catholic 7 get to keep the Big East name, and will add Xavier and Butler and will begin play next fall according to ESPN:

Does this mean more purging for the A-10, Horizon, and possibly the Summit? Seems like a setup for a domino effect. 2 spots open up in the A-10 maybe Xavier and Butler replaced with Valpo and Youngstown State (just thinking geographically) then Oakland joins the Horizon along with maybe IPFW or IUPUI (or both). I think it spells more trouble for the Summit League.

Darrell: I challenge you to stay away from bville for one day. Even if you can't hold out that long, I challenge you to take one day and not have to run back here & tell us what they are posting.

Challenge denied. Plus I am not the only one to post about BV.

Isn't it great to be in the Big Sky. Everyone in the Summit is wondering what is going to happen next. The Big Sky is stable and has enough teams built in to cover a situation if a team left. What a great move it was for UND to be accepted into the Big Sky. Whatever happens in then Summit or MVC doesn't really matter.

Isn't it great to be in the Big Sky. Everyone in the Summit is wondering what is going to happen next. The Big Sky is stable and has enough teams built in to cover a situation if a team left. What a great move it was for UND to be accepted into the Big Sky. Whatever happens in then Summit or MVC doesn't really matter.

What a blessing it was to have Montana and Montana State say no to moving to the WAC. The Big Sky is one of the most sturdiest conferences (that also has football) in the FCS/mid major. It was a great move by Faison to say no thanks to the Summit and to be in the Big Sky. We don't have to worry about our conference mates moving in and out like the SL has a history of. Since the BSC was created in 1963 only 5 yes only FIVE teams has left. And now one of them is coming home (Idaho except in football). The five teams are Idaho, Gonzaga, Nevada, Boise State, and Cal State-Northridge. Since the Summit League was created in 1982 they have had 21 teams (UMKC is #21) leave the conference. Talk about a revolving door of a conference.

Oh yes, stable conference, no one would ever leave, ... cough ... ACC ... Maryland ... B1G ...

Strange things happen. Unique opportunities arise. To believe they won't is to be naive. What we should be expecting is that Fullerton (on a conference level) and Faison (on a UND level) are staying up to date on the landscape changing around them and what the effects (and opportunities) could be.

Oh yes, stable conference, no one would ever leave, ... cough ... ACC ... Maryland ... B1G ...

Strange things happen. Unique opportunities arise. To believe they won't is to be naive. What we should be expecting is that Fullerton (on a conference level) and Faison (on a UND level) are staying up to date on the landscape changing around them and what the effects (and opportunities) could be.

But we aren't a major conference. The Big Sky has a unique deal going on...television. Television = money. Why would you leave that for a conference that doesn't have that (Summit). The Big 10 isn't losing members they are gaining members, just like the Big Sky. Bigger may or may not be better but it is working out. No conference worries at this school (baseball was finally worked out). Yes strange thing has happened...like the Big Sky inviting UND and USD to join.

People on BV still holding on hopes they will replace Creighton. They seem to have no problem dumping SDSU like a bad date.

I think even Bison fans would agree that the most likely replacement if Creighton were to leave the Valley would be Oakland. Sure they just left the Summit for the Southland, but I think that their basketball program is more attractive to the Valley than anyone else, including NDSU.

I think even Bison fans would agree that the most likely replacement if Creighton were to leave the Valley would be Oakland. Sure they just left the Summit for the Southland, but I think that their basketball program is more attractive to the Valley than anyone else, including NDSU.

I heard Oral Roberts being a Creighton replacement. I guess we will just have to sit back grab the popcorn and enjoy the show.