SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

http://www.bisonvill...earchid=2182844

Let the meltdown begin.

http://www.inforum.c...group/homepage/

The man with so much integrity speaks.

The athletic director at North Dakota State is not happy with Montana State. Gene Taylor on Saturday said the Bobcats have opted to buy out of next September’s football game at the Fargodome leaving the Bison scrambling to find an 11th opponent.

Really angry, really disappointed,” Taylor said. “Stunned. I just don’t understand it.”

He said MSU will pay the $100,000 exit fee to play another game, which is presumed to be Football Bowl Subdivision Southern Methodist.

“It’s really disappointing for our fan base,” Taylor said. “We uphold our end of the bargain … then they tell us in late February. It’s not how we do business here.”

Boo - hoo. :whistling:

Geno, do really think a lousy $100,000 is going to prevent a buyout when you are paying a ridiculous amount to Delaware St? What's an FBS team going to pay MSU? Montana State held up their end of the contract by paying you $100,000. Wine and bitch all you want, but you signed the stupid contract.

If you had a permanent home and home arrangement with a certain school close to you, you wouldn't have to go through all this drama every single year.

I have my doubts that you are a UND fan. Yes, you may have gone to school there.... doesn't make you a fan.

FU can put lipstick on a pig (BSA), but it doesn't make it nicer. If UND needs to use a larger facility for big games, the Ralph is next door. The Betty works great for most games.

UND supports a lot more sports than FU does. Check out the number of teams for each of the two schools, 16 vs 21.

if you use the phrase 'lipstick on a pig' you should automatically lose any argument. Anyway, the plans for the BSA look pretty nice, it's not like they are just slapping new bleachers in there. The ralph is a good point, but it's availability will always be limited, and will never be able to support BB full time should it arise to that.

As far as the fandom goes, i am; just disappointed and disgruntled with the current trajectory of both the athletics department and the school as a whole. Maybe I'm just being a permanent Cassandra, but I don't think so.

After reading all this stuff, here are my thoughts:

1) I am very happy in the Big Sky Conference.

3) The Scummit League is a dumping ground for schools that have no better options. FU fans just can't accept that. I wouldn't be able to either if UND was stuck there.

the summit league and big sky are basically the same thing, both bottom feeder leagues for schools with no better options (except montana, who evidently likes to be the king of the island of misfit toys); the difference is that eventually some summit teams get to move up in the world. I would prefer the summit league, because I don't really care about any of the bigsky programs, outside of the montanas and maybe ewu, and i like convenient roadtrips.

I believe its darell that keeps proposing something similar to this, but taking the schools near UM (ewu/UI/UM/msu) and the old NCC core (und, ndsu, sdsu, usd, maybe uno or w ill) and unc, denver, and weber, and you have a pretty solid conference with lots of roadtrips for each block and a much higher level of competition.

re: msu, i don't think this game would have been any more competitive than the dsu game will be. I was really surprised to see the buyout so low, and I'm guessing NDSU won't be signing any similarly small buyouts in the future.

Welp, ndsu lost a $100k minimium and a marque opponent to bad contracting. Enjoy :)

edit: i think more recent buyouts have been higher, I want to say that wcu would have to fork up around 200k to cancel their visit to the dome.

Its dirty pool. IMO, it reflects poorly on MSU and the Big Sky.

Also, it may have been the premiere non-conference FCS game next season. Chickens#!t move.

And you know what? There isnt a person in the football world who feels sorry for them. Tough sh*t. We had Central Arkansas back out on us last year. It happens.

• Upvote 1

re: msu, i don't think this game would have been any more competitive than the dsu game will be. I was really surprised to see the buyout so low, and I'm guessing NDSU won't be signing any similarly small buyouts in the future.

Welp, ndsu lost a $100k minimium and a marque opponent to bad contracting. Enjoy :)

So your comparing Montana State and Delaware State? Please expand.

both bottom feeder leagues for schools with no better options (except montana, who evidently likes to be the king of the island of misfit toys); the difference is that eventually some summit teams get to move up in the world. I would prefer the summit league, because I don't really care about any of the bigsky programs, outside of the montanas and maybe ewu, and i like convenient roadtrips.

I have got to meet you tailgating next fall - dear god I hope you see the difference between the two lists.

Big Sky Alumni (1963 to present) approximately 50 years - 4 teams have left. One is now one of the top mid major basketball programs in the nation, another is one of the top football programs at FBS. Another is a very solid FBS football program and yes Northridge one opps in 50 years.

Gonzaga University, Boise State University, University of Nevada, and California State University, Northridge.

Compared to...

MidCont/Summit League Alumni (1982 to present) approximately 30 years - 22 teams have left... some closed shop on all sports, some got kicked out, some went D-III, some changed names and numerous others just wanted to get the hell out... and it is not going to change anytime soon.

University of Akron, University at Buffalo, Centenary College of Louisiana, Central Connecticut State University, Chicago State University, Cleveland State University, Eastern Illinois University, University of Illinois at Chicago, Northeastern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University, University of Northern Iowa, Oral Roberts University, Southern Utah University, Southwest Missouri State University, Troy State University, Buffalo, New York, University of Wisconsin–Green Bay, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, Valparaiso University, Wright State University, Youngstown State University

2014 - UMKC

TBD - IUPUI, IUFW, Oakland and Denver.

I have got to meet you tailgating next fall - dear god I hope you see the difference between the two lists.

Big Sky Alumni (1963 to present) approximately 50 years - 4 teams have left. One is now one of the top mid major basketball programs in the nation, another is one of the top football programs at FBS. Another is a very solid FBS football program and yes Northridge one opps in 50 years.

Gonzaga University, Boise State University, University of Nevada, and California State University, Northridge.

Compared to...

MidCont/Summit League Alumni (1982 to present) approximately 30 years - 22 teams have left... some closed shop on all sports, some got kicked out, some went D-III, some changed names and numerous others just wanted to get out the hell out... and it is not going to change anytime soon.

University of Akron, University at Buffalo, Centenary College of Louisiana, Central Connecticut State University, Chicago State University, Cleveland State University, Eastern Illinois University, University of Illinois at Chicago, Northeastern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University, University of Northern Iowa, Oral Roberts University, Southern Utah University, Southwest Missouri State University, Troy State University, Buffalo, New York, University of Wisconsin–Green Bay, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, Valparaiso University, Wright State University, Youngstown State University

2014 - UMKC

TBD - IUPUI, IUFW, Oakland and Denver.

Don't bother wasting your time. The "WE" act he's been doing is the worst act on SS.com. Anyone fan who tries to argue the stability of the Big Sky vs. the Summit is clearly showing which team and conference they prefer.

I don't know if Gene should really be surprised with a $100,000 buyout. Its actually a smart business move on MSU's part to get out of a cheap buyout and get a game in an area they actively recruit.

I would have like to see the matchup. Unlike our resident "huge" fan of both schools, I don't think it would have been a blowout but I don't think MSU would have got out of there with a win.

Exactly right - MSU figures they'd rather get their loss from SMU than NDSU. BSC has a habit of being chicken sh*t (UM has several buyouts). One can only hope the stars a-line and we get them in the Dome in Dec.

Hmm lets see two schools out of a group of 11 football schools complete a buyout and the entire conference is chick !@#$. Plus, I don't think winning or losing to FU had anything to do with it.. It was a business decision: 1) Play in an area that they heavily recruit and 2) make more money. Easy business decision, UCA bought UND out last year on a return trip. So, I guess you should add the Southland to your list of chicken !@#$ conferences. I don't like it but It happens all the time. FU fans always overreact like you have been seriously wronged somehow. I mean with all the FU football money - bring in the Gophers.

• Upvote 1

Back on topic... A poster on the WAC board noted that the Horizon will be down to 5 baseball teams when Butler leaves.

The Summit will be raided, it is just a matter of how many they take. The admin at UMKC was grilled last week for making a strange move. We will soon see.

Exactly right - MSU figures they'd rather get their loss from SMU than NDSU. BSC has a habit of being chicken sh*t (UM has several buyouts). One can only hope the stars a-line and we get them in the Dome in Dec.

It sucks for FU but it is a smart business decision on the part of MSU. You blanketing the entire conference based at the actions of one are laughable. Have fun finding your 11th game.

Hmm lets see two schools out of a group of 11 football schools complete a buyout and the entire conference is chick !@#$. Plus, I don't think winning or losing to FU had anything to do with it.. It was a business decision: 1) Play in an area that they heavily recruit and 2) make more money. Easy business decision, UCA bought UND out last year on a return trip. So, I guess you should add the Southland to your list of chicken !@#$ conferences. I don't like it but It happens all the time. FU fans always overreact like you have been seriously wronged somehow. I mean with all the FU football money - bring in the Gophers.

Nothing to do with business - all about the playoffs and positioning themselves for home playoff games.