SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Think of the credibility they could gain with UNC and Duke basketball, they would be what the SEC is to football.

Notre Dame's hangup as always would be their TV contract, but if they could get around that the B1G would be pretty impressive (at the top anyway).

IMO, if the ACC deteriorates further, Notre Dame ends up in the new "Catholic 7" conference and maintains football independence.

• Upvote 1

But by adding more schools doesn't that eat into the revenue pot that the schools get.

As long as they add the right schools it should just create more revenue. UNC would be a huge addition, every cable network in NC would need to add the Big 10 to their channel lineup. Plus UNC hoops is a big deal, which means more money from ESPN and CBS when those contracts are renewed.

UVA doesn't have as big of an impact when it comes to revenue but academically it would be a huge addition.

Word was Penn State was getting mad being the only team out east so the Big Ten needed to add some to please them. Rutgers and Maryland were chosen because it gives the Big Ten Network New Jersey, New York and Maryland TV markets. BTN is part of any basic cable package in states where a team is from (New York is included for Rutgers). To put it simply you can add slightly more than $1 to the BTN's worth for every single person in the states that they're adding. So by adding those two teams they add approximately 35 million people to their standard viewing area. Giving every school approximately $2.5 million more per year. By adding say, North Carolina and Georgia Tech, that's approximately another 20 million. These are the minimum amounts and doesn't include all the alumni of these schools who may live in other parts of the country that have to pay for the channel.

It's all money and academic driven. The Big Ten WILL NOT accept any school to its conference that isn't an AAU member. Nebraska was when they were invited but have since lost that status. At that time both OK and OK State reportedly asked to be invited to the Big Ten and were turned down immediately because the universities were not AAU members. So the schools on this list are the only ones that even have a chance to be brought in: http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

There's also reports that the Big Ten is trying to add Johns Hopkins University as a lacrosse only member because that's the only sport that they're DI in.

As long as they add the right schools it should just create more revenue. UNC would be a huge addition, every cable network in NC would need to add the Big 10 to their channel lineup. Plus UNC hoops is a big deal, which means more money from ESPN and CBS when those contracts are renewed.

UVA doesn't have as big of an impact when it comes to revenue but academically it would be a huge addition.

Adding UNC will cut up yet another rivalry the Big 10 will ruin. Duke-UNC, and UNC-NCSU

Adding UNC will cut up yet another rivalry the Big 10 will ruin. Duke-UNC, and UNC-NCSU

It's basketball, for those two the rivalry will never leave. This is a rivalry that won't die due to no conference standings being on the line. The campuses of UNC and Duke are 8 miles apart, no way in hell it could ever die. Especially when you get 15 non-conference games per year to schedule each other.

It's basketball, for those two the rivalry will never leave. This is a rivalry that won't die due to no conference standings being on the line. The campuses of UNC and Duke are 8 miles apart, no way in hell it could ever die. Especially when you get 15 non-conference games per year to schedule each other.

It still won't be the same feeling since they will be in different conferences. Kinda like two other DI schools just 70 miles apart.

Looks like the Washington Post C7 article was way off....

A Marquette official said Tuesday night that major portions of a Washington Post story about a new league with two divisions of six teams each wasn't true.

According to the story, the East division would be Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence and either Richmond or Siena. The West or Midwest division would be Marquette, DePaul, St. Louis, Xavier, Dayton and Butler.

Marquette doesn't see Detroit, which was mentioned as a possibility, or Siena as part of its new league.

It was also reported that Georgetown President John J. DeGioia is the person "who has been charged with piecing together the new league" because the six other Catholic 7 presidents are disinterested in the process.

Marquette disputed that, too.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/191910991.html

Big 10 looking at John Hopkins?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1537099-next-round-of-big-ten-expansion-wont-be-about-football

There's one more name being tossed around for Big Ten inclusion, and it's a pipe dream—but not in the way you'd think. That name is Johns Hopkins, whose best sport is lacrosse. Now, the Big Ten doesn't really do lacrosse (though Virginia does—hint hint). And Johns Hopkins doesn't really do what the Big Ten does in the other major sports.

And yet adding Johns Hopkins would be the Big Ten's dream come true. Why? The funding. Oh sweet mother of mercy, the funding.

Go back to that Center for Measuring University Performance report. Go find Johns Hopkins. Johns Hopkins brings in $1.5 billion (NOT A TYPO) annually in federal research funding alone. By itself. Every year. A billion and a half dollars.

That's more than the Big Ten's biggest three recipients (Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin) receive combined. It is the single biggest recipient of federal research funding among universities in America, and by a wide, wide margin. Altogether, Johns Hopkins reported funded research of nearly $1.9 billion.

So yes, the Big Ten just might be interested in this whole lacrosse thing.

The Big Ten's academic arm, the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, got excited when it was able to add nearly $1 billion in annual funded research when Rutgers and Maryland—again, two relative athletic middleweights—joined up in 2012. Johns Hopkins nearly doubles that total.

Now, this might be more of a University of Chicago-type relationship, because we don't expect Johns Hopkins to add a football program and build an 80,000-seat stadium just to fit in with the rest of the gang.

But the key is to realize that when it comes to the Big Ten and expansion, the on-field results are nearly incidental. It's all about expanding the footprint and leading the nation in research and collaboration. Look to those factors—not the gridiron.

I don't put too much stock in the bleacher report. Big 10 having John Hopkins? I guess the Big 10 is eventually going to have every school under its wing.

Somebody posted that the Big 10 wants AAU schools like Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech added to the academic and research side. By offering a school like Hopkins, even if it is only for lacrosse, that would make the Big 10 more attractive to those southeast schools. Probably wanted by Maryland too.

I've seen the Johns Hopkins thing out there also.

From the reseach/CIC/Federal funds notion it makes sense.

But the Big Ten has never gone with anything but full members (no affiliates) in the past. That makes me skeptical about Hopkins for now.

Made a mistake and looked on bisonville. Good Lord are those fans clueless thinking they are so attractive that the MVC will kick out teams just to get them in. Not that I am an expert of any sort, but do they honestly think winning an FCS Championship buys them anything except more difficult FCS scheduling? Were basketball conferences begging to add Appalachian St and Georgia Southern because of their FCS successes? Ridiculous. So Creighton and Wichita St and Bradley and whoever else will get kicked out of the MVC in favor NDSU and even UND? Didn't Kolpack even state NDSU wasn't anywhere near being on the MVC invite list, and yet they persist in thinking that? Why can't facts sink in? Then they go on about how UND needs to join up with them in football and why the Big Sky is so terrible for us. There is maybe one person there who seems to be reasonable, but the rest are beyond having an intelligent conversation with. Anyone saying North Dakotan's have common sense and reasoning ability would instantly be proven wrong reading that board. Can I buy back some brain cells?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Missouri valley conference align itself with the football conference? Bump the mvc teams not in the mvfc and send them to the summit or horizon. Bring along un_ and just get it done.

Turn the mvfc into two divisions, cut out an ooc game and have a championship between the divisions. 2 game ooc, 8 conference games, 1 conference championship, and then the playoffs. 9 teams in each division with the conference schedule running 10 weeks.

Something like that.

But the Big Ten has never gone with anything but full members (no affiliates) in the past. That makes me skeptical about Hopkins for now.

Thought U of Chicago was technically in the group too, but plays DIII?

They technically would be a full member. All of Johns Hopkins DI sports (Lacrosse) would be in the Big Ten. It's a loophole.

U of Chicago used to be a member of Big Ten athletics. When the rest of the Big Ten decided to grow and expand athletics, U of Chicago decided to take a different path.

i believe chicago still has limited voting rights in the big ten, and they are a member of the cic. memory is pretty hazy though.

if the b1g is ever going to have an affiliate, john hopkins makes as much sense as any. i would have preferred pitt or syracuse over rutgers though, and better yet neither.

Made a mistake and looked on bisonville. Good Lord are those fans clueless thinking they are so attractive that the MVC will kick out teams just to get them in. Not that I am an expert of any sort, but do they honestly think winning an FCS Championship buys them anything except more difficult FCS scheduling? Were basketball conferences begging to add Appalachian St and Georgia Southern because of their FCS successes? Ridiculous. So Creighton and Wichita St and Bradley and whoever else will get kicked out of the MVC in favor NDSU and even UND? Didn't Kolpack even state NDSU wasn't anywhere near being on the MVC invite list, and yet they persist in thinking that? Why can't facts sink in? Then they go on about how UND needs to join up with them in football and why the Big Sky is so terrible for us. There is maybe one person there who seems to be reasonable, but the rest are beyond having an intelligent conversation with. Anyone saying North Dakotan's have common sense and reasoning ability would instantly be proven wrong reading that board. Can I buy back some brain cells?

count me on the no-to-the-mvc crowd. This is no news around here but i think the i-29 schools plus unc, denver, and wiu would make a nice conference. yeah ncc2.0 blah blah blah.