SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Best guess at a 20-team B1G?

- Notre Dame stays indy (Dame gonna Dame) 
- UW, UO, and Cali-Stan added to B1G from PAC
- Four corners of PAC go Big XII (CU, UU, ASU, UA)
- Requiescat in pace PAC12
- WasSU and OrSU are newest members of the MWC 
- One fewer FBS conference west of Mississippi River

My guess is if ND doesn't join the Big Ten the 4 additions would be 2 from the PAC (Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford are candidates) and 2 from the ACC.  Big Ten has long looked at Virginia and North Carolina due to their location and academic research standing.  Some sold recruiting grounds in that region and two programs that could be a lot more than what they have shown.  Lots of growth potential there.

5 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

My guess is if ND doesn't join the Big Ten the 4 additions would be 2 from the PAC (Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford are candidates) and 2 from the ACC.  Big Ten has long looked at Virginia and North Carolina due to their location and academic research standing.  Some sold recruiting grounds in that region and two programs that could be a lot more than what they have shown.  Lots of growth potential there.

The ACC GOR locks UNC and UVa for another 14 years. That's a tough nut to crack. 

4 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

I think the B1G is not going to 20 without ND. I think they'll grab ND sooner or later.  And i think they'll save space for them in the meantime.  

The haters may whine, but the Golden Dome guarantees eyeballs and attendance no other school does. 

Look at the contracts. The current big 10 deals run to 2030.  I think they'll go to 20 in phase 1 for bulk of that contact. Oregon Washington and Stanford would be top choices and adding Cal placate the regents opposing UCLA move. 

Looking to the next contract in 2030 the ACC schools will only have 6 years left and swallowing a buyout is much easier. They can even let the SEC do the dirty work through ESPN to get Clemson and FSU.   Then the Big grabs N Carolina Duke Virginia  Pitt Georgia Tech and Notre Dame.

If Kansas football is even respectable at that point they pick them off as well possibly Colorado.   That gets them to 28 with national coverage and might be enough to lure Texas and Florida, becoming the major league of college sports and boxing the SEC into their home region. They could add Utah and Arizona to go to 32. SEC would be a football league BIG would be an all sport juggernaut. 

Divisions would be 

West - USC UCLA Oregon Washington Cal Stanford Arizona. Utah

Plains - Colorado Kansas Nebraska Iowa Minnesota Wisconsin Illinois Northwestern

Rust Belt - Indiana Purdue Notre Dame Michigan Mich St Ohio St. Penn St. Pitt

South- Florida Georgia Tech Duke UNC UVa Maryland Rutgers Texas 

Don't need an NCAA at that point and they've crushed remaining conferences. Wouldn't be surprised if this or something similar is the long range plan. 

On 8/19/2022 at 12:08 PM, The Sicatoka said:

The ACC GOR locks UNC and UVa for another 14 years. That's a tough nut to crack. 

True, but the ACC schools being locked into that poor contract is going to kill them.  Year over year the deficit keeps accumulating.  I think they vote to break the conference up on their own in order to break the GOR before 2036.

1 minute ago, Yote 53 said:

True, but the ACC schools being locked into that poor contract is going to kill them.  Year over year the deficit keeps accumulating.  I think they vote to break the conference up on their own in order to break the GOR before 2036.

Good conversation about ACC and GOR if they dissolve here: https://csnbbs.com/thread-953300.html 

Thinking more about this article mentioned in a hockey thread:
https://viewfromtheglass.com/2022/08/20/sayler-end-of-nchc-ccha-possible/ 

Josh Fenton left the NCHC commissioner role to become commissioner of the Summit League.

NCHC members North Dakota, Denver, and Omaha are also Summit League members. (Summit League's St. Thomas plays in the CCHA.)
If the NCHC wanted to save overhead they'd fold into becoming "Summit League Hockey" because they already know the commissioner.

But if we're going to speculate on "one-sport conferences" folding into all-sport conferences ...
MVFC teams NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, Western Illinois all are Summit League teams.
They'd need to find a friend for football for six ... like St. Thomas (already SL, but Pioneer FB).

If Fenton pulled in the NCHC and formed Summit League FB, he'd have a DI conference with G5 influence without being G5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thinking more about this article mentioned in a hockey thread:
https://viewfromtheglass.com/2022/08/20/sayler-end-of-nchc-ccha-possible/ 

Josh Fenton left the NCHC commissioner role to become commissioner of the Summit League.

NCHC members North Dakota, Denver, and Omaha are also Summit League members. (Summit League's St. Thomas plays in the CCHA.)
If the NCHC wanted to save overhead they'd fold into becoming "Summit League Hockey" because they already know the commissioner.

But if we're going to speculate on "one-sport conferences" folding into all-sport conferences ...
MVFC teams NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, Western Illinois all are Summit League teams.
They'd need to find a friend for football for six ... like St. Thomas (already SL, but Pioneer FB).

If Fenton pulled in the NCHC and formed Summit League FB, he'd have a DI conference with G5 influence without being G5.

where is fenton?

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

throwback time

Midcontinent Conference....gets big tv deal with midco?

AND midco used to be known as MIDCONTINENT!?!  wtf? 

AND Josh Fenton's initials are 2/3rds of JF...k?  K is close to Q - hmmm???   I'm going to do some "research" on the internet and see what I can come up with on that.  I'm sure it's just a coincedence

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

AND midco used to be known as MIDCONTINENT!?!  wtf? 

AND Josh Fenton's initials are 2/3rds of JF...k?  K is close to Q - hmmm???   I'm going to do some "research" on the internet and see what I can come up with on that.  I'm sure it's just a coincedence

< crazy conspiracy theory meme here > 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://theathletic.com/3621500/2022/09/22/pac-12-ucla-big-ten/ 

"Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff sent a letter to the University of California Board of Regents on Thursday in an attempt to overturn the UCLA chancellor’s decision to leave the Big Ten in 2024, a source confirmed to The Athletic."

"He wrote that UCLA athletes could see their academic and health status decline due to increased time traveling on planes to road games. Family and friends of those athletes would also have a more arduous and expensive time seeing the Bruins compete further away from California. Kliavkoff stated travel costs — currently $8.1 in the Pac-12 — would jump to $23.7 million if flights were chartered in the Big Ten."

What a commissioner. He seems nice. 

Meanwhile, while that is happening, Oregon is offering whatever it takes to get into the B1G, up to and including adding sports (i.e. men's ice hockey)!