SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

any UM games that aren't on BTHC will be on FSN. that is the deal UND should've negotiated from the beginning in this new league and used existing FCS. yes FSN North is regional but it's also national on the same sports cable tier as FCS which broadcasts ALL UND HOME GAMES RIGHT NOW. like someone said earlier, this whole thing has been a race to make a mistake.

I think we need to see how this all shakes out before hitting the panic button. That being said, moving to fewer broadcasted games will not go over well with the Sioux faithful.

• Upvote 1

It's quite simple: If Rodentia (Minnesota) wants to play us after next year, it had better be a home and home deal, not any of this "only in Minneapolis" garbage. :angry: We shouldn't cater hand and foot to anybody, especially a snobbish program with some followers who think we shouldn't even have a program. If they insist on Minneapolis only, then Faison should just tell them the rivalry is over indefinitely. The same should go for that school 75 miles to our south, but that's another topic for another forum.

UMN also has to cover their ass with a few in state schools, which isn't a problem for UND.

Whens his boy start playing for them? Be a easy raod trip to watch his kid haha

Haha that's exactly what I figured as well. Easy way for him to see his boy twice a year and eat dinner with him. I believe he starts next season. Not positive on that, though.

They must have a pretty good relationship because Mario said on twitter the other day that he's going to his first NFL game ever with his dad. (The Super Bowl).

True, but then why do you sign a four year deal with Notre Dame?

UMN also has to cover their ass with a few in state schools, which isn't a problem for UND.

Because he is a Notre Dame Alum and his son is playing at Notre Dame the next 4 years...

The Big Sky has "Big Sky Television": The Big Sky Conference has teamed with America One (formerly B2 Networks) to bring you this season's action. Fans can enjoy all football, volleyball, men's and women's basketball games played in Big Sky venues for free.

http://www.bigskycon...SKYTV81509.aspx

If the NCHC set up something like that for hockey, wouldn't that be a step up?

As far as not wanting to watch on a computer monitor, don't most of us have a laptop with an HDMI or DisplayPort connection? Most new televisons have an HDMI input so connecting a PC to a television is plug-and-play. I watch ESPN3 (from Midcontinent Cable) from my laptop to a big monitor all the time.

Having said all that, I'm reserving judgement on all of this until all the dust settles.

The Big Sky has "Big Sky Television": The Big Sky Conference has teamed with America One (formerly B2 Networks) to bring you this season's action. Fans can enjoy all football, volleyball, men's and women's basketball games played in Big Sky venues for free.

As far as not wanting to watch on a computer monitor, don't most of us have a laptop with an HDMI or DisplayPort connection? Most new televisons have an HDMI input so connecting a PC to a television is plug-and-play. I watch ESPN3 (from Midcontinent Cable) from my laptop to a big monitor all the time.

Having said all that, I'm reserving judgement on all of this until all the dust settles.

The internet option sure is a lot better than no option at all, but it won't be as convenient as sitting down and turning on the TV. It also means upgrading my internet connection, which I should probably do anyway. I agree we don't have all the details yet. Hopefully something like the contract with FCS can be worked out.

You mean you're not halfway off the ledge, 15 minutes after some vague information is released about something that goes into affect a year and a half from now, like everybody else is?

And here I thought I was the only one.

• Upvote 2

The internet option sure is a lot better than no option at all, but it won't be as convenient as sitting down and turning on the TV. It also means upgrading my internet connection, which I should probably do anyway. I agree we don't have all the details yet. Hopefully something like the contract with FCS can be worked out.

As I said in the other thread discussing this issue, they now have boxes that directly stream the internet to your television. The brand I have seen advertised is Roku. It is basically a cable box for internet streaming television. Not all content works on it now, but you can use it for Netflix, Hulu and many other streaming options. The box costs from $50-100 as a one time cost. Some of the services cost money, a lot do not. The picture quality can be up to full 1080 HD with a good quality internet connection. Maybe UND sports could use a service like that. You could potentially make the games available to anyone with an internet connection, not just people that have cable or satellite TV with the sports packages.

So are you saying you would prefer this type of setup to having Sioux hockey on FCS ?

I don't see any way that this would be a step up. Certainly it is better than having no viewing option but it would definitely be a step backwards.

So are you saying you would prefer this type of setup to having Sioux hockey on FCS ?

I don't see any way that this would be a step up. Certainly it is better than having no viewing option but it would definitely be a step backwards.

I did do this for the Friday game against Harvard. I was at my wife's cousins house and I asked if the get FCS. They didn't. I mentioned that I have streamed the games before, so he took his laptop and hooked it up to his "half the wall" television and we got to see the game. Quality wasn't fantastic, but good.

If UND can do something to upgrade the streaming delivery system, including HD, this is workable.

I also got all of her male cousins cheering for UND.

• Upvote 1

I did do this for the Friday game against Harvard. I was at my wife's cousins house and I asked if the get FCS. They didn't. I mentioned that I have streamed the games before, so he took his laptop and hooked it up to his "half the wall" television and we got to see the game. Quality wasn't fantastic, but good.

If UND can do something to upgrade the streaming delivery system, including HD, this is workable.

I also got all of her male cousins cheering for UND.

That's the way I watch the home games. It's not bad, but I am jonesin' for some HD! Getting greedy in my old age!

Sorry, not possible. That's the whole point. A contract like the one with FCS cannot be worked out. It would violate the NCHC's contract with CBSSN, which has exclusive rights to national broadcasts. In Seattle, the only way you're going to be able to watch UND is 4 or 5 times a year on CBSSN or on the internet.

• Upvote 1

You're not serious are you? The BIg Sky webcasts are a joke. I watched the UND v. Northern Colorado football game last year, hooked my computer up to my TV, and it was barely watchable. Horrible picture, couldn't get sound. It was fourth rate at best.

If the webcasts are so great, why are all the major conferences fighting over television contracts and starting their own television networks? Why don't they go with just webcasts if it's a step up?

As I said in the other thread discussing this issue, they now have boxes that directly stream the internet to your television. The brand I have seen advertised is Roku. It is basically a cable box for internet streaming television. Not all content works on it now, but you can use it for Netflix, Hulu and many other streaming options. The box costs from $50-100 as a one time cost. Some of the services cost money, a lot do not. The picture quality can be up to full 1080 HD with a good quality internet connection. Maybe UND sports could use a service like that. You could potentially make the games available to anyone with an internet connection, not just people that have cable or satellite TV with the sports packages.

You do realize that only a small percentage of the population have any idea what you’re talking about? It’s going to take years and vast cultural shift for the Average Joe to get in the habit of watching sporting events on the internet. Sure, a few tech savvy fans like you will figure out a way to watch the games in a semi-watchable fashion, but most of the people aren’t going to bother. If they can’t easily get it on their TV, they aren’t going to watch. This isn't just about whether you or I can personally watch the games, it's about growing the exposure of the program, gaining recruiting advantages, selling the University. TV is still where that is at, not through webcasting. All efforts should be made to expand your television footprint, not slash it to the point of being virtually non-existent. I understand technology is changing and the internet is a great supplement to a good television deal, but to think it’s going to replace the quality, convenience, and exposure of television for the vast majority of people anytime soon is mistaken.

• Upvote 4

I like how Mn fans make light of this rivalry, you guys are the only people that do this!

The players say otherwise when interviewed, the announcers say otherwise during games, and all of this watching the series in Mn!

Now you guys say like you have anything to say about it(this is funny) "we might play UND but it will be in Mn"

I mean come on, who do you think you are? Seriously!!

Any true hockey fan would be demanding this rivalry to continue!!

UND is Minnesota's biggest hockey rival and most Gopher fans acknowledge that. But there are four other hockey programs in our state and as Minnesotans I think a lot of us feel we should make a strong effort to help support those programs as our first priority. But in no way does that mean UND isn't our biggest rival.

You do realize that only a small percentage of the population have any idea what you’re talking about? It’s going to take years and vast cultural shift for the Average Joe to get in the habit of watching sporting events on the internet. Sure, a few tech savvy fans like you will figure out a way to watch the games in a semi-watchable fashion, but most of the people aren’t going to bother. If they can’t easily get it on their TV, they aren’t going to watch. This isn't just about whether you or I can personally watch the games, it's about growing the exposure of the program, gaining recruiting advantages, selling the University. TV is still where that is at, not through webcasting. All efforts should be made to expand your television footprint, not slash it to the point of being virtually non-existent. I understand technology is changing and the internet is a great supplement to a good television deal, but to think it’s going to replace the quality, convenience, and exposure of television for the vast majority of people anytime soon is mistaken.

I understand that many people haven't embraced this technology. But, I guarantee that educated folks 30 and under ALL know how to do this. Heck, I just run an HDMI cable to my TV system from my laptop and get the games that way. It won't take that long. I would say just a few short years and we'll see the shift from cable TV to live online streaming.

I understand that many people haven't embraced this technology. But, I guarantee that educated folks 30 and under ALL know how to do this. Heck, I just run an HDMI cable to my TV system from my laptop and get the games that way. It won't take that long. I would say just a few short years and we'll see the shift from cable TV to live online streaming.

I know how to hook my laptop up to my TV. Done it several times. ESPN3 is somewhat watchable, but not as good as TV. Big Sky TV is absolute joke.

If TV contracts are going to be functionally moot in a few years because everyone will be online streaming, then why did the NCHC even bother to ink a TV deal with CBSSN? Why not pour all of the conference's efforts into internet streaming and let schools do what they want with TV?

I know how to hook my laptop up to my TV. Done it several times. ESPN3 is somewhat watchable, but not as good as TV. Big Sky TV is absolute joke.

If TV contracts are going to be functionally moot in a few years because everyone will be online streaming, then why did the NCHC even bother to ink a TV deal with CBSSN? Why not pour all of the conference's efforts into internet streaming and let schools do what they want with TV?

Well, it's a change thing. People / Organizations are sometimes aren't as quick to adopt change. Plus, there is a fear that something different may even take the place of something like online streaming. (Anybody got an old Betamax machine in their attic?)

I was back in Nodak this past summer and set up my 82 year old mom up with her first HD television. Now, she can read what's on the TV again and absolutely loves it. But, my brother and I had to program it to work almost like the old TV, or she wouldn't go for it.