SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

UND is Minnesota's biggest hockey rival and most Gopher fans acknowledge that. But there are four other hockey programs in our state and as Minnesotans I think a lot of us feel we should make a strong effort to help support those programs as our first priority. But in no way does that mean UND isn't our biggest rival.

That sounds noble and everything...but why start now?

• Upvote 2

I understand that many people haven't embraced this technology. But, I guarantee that educated folks 30 and under ALL know how to do this. Heck, I just run an HDMI cable to my TV system from my laptop and get the games that way. It won't take that long. I would say just a few short years and we'll see the shift from cable TV to live online streaming.

And I guarantee, that the majority of highly educated folks over 55 will not bother with figuring out the streaming (yes some of the technically astute will). The highly educated folks over 50 have the discretionary $ to support what ever they want. If the TV market goes away for them, the money may very well go somewhere else.

I can see why people are pessimistic... from the language of the contract, it sounds like the only options are a different REGIONAL TV provider, or non-TV delivery. When UND says "don't worry yet, we're working on it", I assume they mean those two options.

As I said in the other thread discussing this issue, they now have boxes that directly stream the internet to your television. The brand I have seen advertised is Roku. It is basically a cable box for internet streaming television. Not all content works on it now, but you can use it for Netflix, Hulu and many other streaming options. The box costs from $50-100 as a one time cost. Some of the services cost money, a lot do not. The picture quality can be up to full 1080 HD with a good quality internet connection. Maybe UND sports could use a service like that. You could potentially make the games available to anyone with an internet connection, not just people that have cable or satellite TV with the sports packages.

Yeah, I tried to hint at that here. Between PS3, Xbox, Apple TV, media PCs, and new TVs themselves being internet connected, a lot of people are starting to be able to watch streaming media without jury-rigging a computer. If some of these college sports broadcasts upped the quality and started tapping into some of those delivery services, it would feel a lot more like watching TV than watching the computer. Watching streaming Netflix or a rented iTunes movie feels to me just like watching TV, but watching college sports broadcasts on the laptop is reminiscent of a decade ago.

• Upvote 1

You do realize that only a small percentage of the population have any idea what you’re talking about? It’s going to take years and vast cultural shift for the Average Joe to get in the habit of watching sporting events on the internet. Sure, a few tech savvy fans like you will figure out a way to watch the games in a semi-watchable fashion, but most of the people aren’t going to bother. If they can’t easily get it on their TV, they aren’t going to watch. This isn't just about whether you or I can personally watch the games, it's about growing the exposure of the program, gaining recruiting advantages, selling the University. TV is still where that is at, not through webcasting. All efforts should be made to expand your television footprint, not slash it to the point of being virtually non-existent. I understand technology is changing and the internet is a great supplement to a good television deal, but to think it’s going to replace the quality, convenience, and exposure of television for the vast majority of people anytime soon is mistaken.

I don't think it's going to take years for people to adopt this technology. We are in the middle of a transition period. The problem is we don't know for sure where it's going because there are so many options. Think about the transition period from LP records to 8 tracks and cassette tapes. Or the start up of beta and VHS video tape. Things are happening quickly. You can already stream things straight to your TV from a variety of sources as is mentioned above. The quality can be just as good as cable TV and it can be just as convenient. The difference may be the exposure. But if you are limiting yourself to just the sports package, you have a problem also. Streaming could potentially be available to more people. You just have to get them pointed in the right direction.

Obviously you haven't watched good quality streaming. Very little of what is streamed for college sports is very good quality right now, ESPN3 may be the best of what I've seen but it is hit and miss. It probably depends on the capabilities of where they are broadcasting from. If you have a decent internet connection, try streaming regular TV or a movie. All of the television companies have streaming, like www.cbs.com, or www.nbc.com. Or try www.hulu.com. You will see that it can be pretty good quality.

I'm not exactly a poster child for the new tech age. I'm 51 years old. I'm just not afraid of trying some new things. I actually dropped cable TV a few years ago. I was working all the time and thought it was a waste of money for what I got out of it. I have broadcast TV capability, but actually watch most things by streaming because I can watch them when I want. Also, most of them have fewer commercials. The only bad thing is that I miss a lot of sports. There are sites that broadcast some sports, but the quality isn't that great yet. Obviously, if it can be good for regular TV, it can be for sports also. I think that this is part of the future. But regular TV will also be around for quite a while, it's just a matter of how long. I would be willing to bet that all of the major conferences that signed TV deals have also addressed the issue of streaming in some way, probably in those TV contracts. I believe you will see major changes coming in 1 or 2 or 3 years.

This isn't just about whether you or I can personally watch the games, it's about growing the exposure of the program, gaining recruiting advantages, selling the University. TV is still where that is at, not through webcasting.

Exactly.

This is why we can get all the webcasts we want and it doesn't matter. TV will always trump the net in terms of "viewership." You ain't really going to get "new fans" using the web. TV ain't going anywhere. How do you know what movies to watch? What "shows" to watch? etc

Exactly.

This is why we can get all the webcasts we want and it doesn't matter. TV will always trump the net in terms of "viewership." You ain't really going to get "new fans" using the web. TV ain't going anywhere. How do you know what movies to watch? What "shows" to watch? etc

TV ain't going anywhere? You mean like radio drama's ain't going anywhere? Like the Shadow, or the Bob Hope Show, those shows that soon moved to TV? Or maybe like covered wagons ain't going anywhere?

At some point the balance will shift again and something will replace TV. They may coexist for a little while, but probably not for a real long time. Why do you think that cable companies all over the country moved into internet service and telephone service? It's all just data. People are going to switch to where they can get the best quality for the best price. The cable companies know that TV will be replaced and they wanted to be ready.

And another thing about the television companies buying up rights to the big conferences. When those games move to the internet, those same companies will probably still own the rights to broadcast the games. And make the money for advertising. And publicize their own events. It isn't going to matter to them whether they deliver the signal through a cable TV line or an internet hook-up, they're still going to make the money off the games.

And I guarantee, that the majority of highly educated folks over 55 will not bother with figuring out the streaming (yes some of the technically astute will). The highly educated folks over 50 have the discretionary $ to support what ever they want. If the TV market goes away for them, the money may very well go somewhere else.

Who cares about people over 55 who are set in their ways? Basic marketing principles say go after the younger market, the 18-35 year olds who haven't established their spending trends. That is where the real discretionary spending is located.

Who cares about people over 55 who are set in their ways? Basic marketing principles say go after the younger market, the 18-35 year olds who haven't established their spending trends. That is where the real discretionary spending is located.

Except for the fact that we are talking about fans who would like to watch Fighting Sioux Hockey that feel like it's just to hard too do...that's very unfortunate...

I don't think it's going to take years for people to adopt this technology. We are in the middle of a transition period. The problem is we don't know for sure where it's going because there are so many options. Think about the transition period from LP records to 8 tracks and cassette tapes. Or the start up of beta and VHS video tape. Things are happening quickly. You can already stream things straight to your TV from a variety of sources as is mentioned above. The quality can be just as good as cable TV and it can be just as convenient. The difference may be the exposure. But if you are limiting yourself to just the sports package, you have a problem also. Streaming could potentially be available to more people. You just have to get them pointed in the right direction.

Obviously you haven't watched good quality streaming. Very little of what is streamed for college sports is very good quality right now, ESPN3 may be the best of what I've seen but it is hit and miss. It probably depends on the capabilities of where they are broadcasting from. If you have a decent internet connection, try streaming regular TV or a movie. All of the television companies have streaming, like www.cbs.com, or www.nbc.com. Or try www.hulu.com. You will see that it can be pretty good quality.

I'm not exactly a poster child for the new tech age. I'm 51 years old. I'm just not afraid of trying some new things. I actually dropped cable TV a few years ago. I was working all the time and thought it was a waste of money for what I got out of it. I have broadcast TV capability, but actually watch most things by streaming because I can watch them when I want. Also, most of them have fewer commercials. The only bad thing is that I miss a lot of sports. There are sites that broadcast some sports, but the quality isn't that great yet. Obviously, if it can be good for regular TV, it can be for sports also. I think that this is part of the future. But regular TV will also be around for quite a while, it's just a matter of how long. I would be willing to bet that all of the major conferences that signed TV deals have also addressed the issue of streaming in some way, probably in those TV contracts. I believe you will see major changes coming in 1 or 2 or 3 years.

Good points. I am in your age range also. I also stream video and have an extremely cheap cable package from my internet provider. But, I have a digital TV antenna and am ready to cut the cord on my $18 a month cable. Heck, my TV picks up up over 35 digital channels over the air now!

As far as quality goes, streaming will improve dramatically. The problem will be bandwidth. But, even that might not be a big problem. I just got a letter from some broadband carrier that bought out my cable provider. Bad news, my internet is going up $2.50 a month. Wait...GOOD NEWS! I will now go from a 12 meg download speed to anywhere from 30-40 meg for the same price.

Hey, ain't technology grand! :lol:

Except for the fact that we are talking about fans who would like to watch Fighting Sioux Hockey that feel like it's just to hard to do...that's very unfortunate...

But, there is no such thing as Sioux hockey anymore! So, they wouldn't find it in any form. Well, except through rebroadcasts through online streaming! ;)

TV ain't going anywhere? You mean like radio drama's ain't going anywhere? Like the Shadow, or the Bob Hope Show, those shows that soon moved to TV? Or maybe like covered wagons ain't going anywhere?

At some point the balance will shift again and something will replace TV. They may coexist for a little while, but probably not for a real long time. Why do you think that cable companies all over the country moved into internet service and telephone service? It's all just data. People are going to switch to where they can get the best quality for the best price. The cable companies know that TV will be replaced and they wanted to be ready.

And another thing about the television companies buying up rights to the big conferences. When those games move to the internet, those same companies will probably still own the rights to broadcast the games. And make the money for advertising. And publicize their own events. It isn't going to matter to them whether they deliver the signal through a cable TV line or an internet hook-up, they're still going to make the money off the games.

I have no idea what you are saying. Covered Wagons.... Grasping at straws? I can tell you right now many people have predicted the car will be gone...hasn't happened yet, and in reality I would say that one is probably long overdue, I want my teleportation device or at least my flying car by now!

The radio is still around after all these years. The TV, nor the internet, mp3s, cds, or walkmans have killed it. Wanna know why?..."radio" introduces you to the (new) music. And this is the most significant example of the TV being equated to the radio in this situation. Radio has actually gotten "stronger" recently = satellite radio....wanna know what else is getting stronger....TV! High Definition and 3D!!!!!

"TV" as we know it might be gone one day, but in like what 50+ years. Not five, not ten, not twenty. You and I will probably be dead.

The rest of your rant is a company trying to protect and/or increase their profits using online tools. It helps grow their companies and adds income for them. I get it. Doesn't in any way make them think their TV will be going bye bye....it just means that they have to fight with online companies for advertising dollars...the same as the radio and newspapers had to when TV first became available....The Grand Forks Herald Advertising on the TV is like NBC setting up NBC.com. It advertises their products and helps them generate revenue.

You really believe "TV" will be gone? And honestly when do you think that will happen?

Secondly, since it is so far down the road....we are talking how in less than two years UND will rarely be seen on national tv at home. A major step backwards for the program. You can watch all UND home games online right now.

I have no idea what you are saying. Covered Wagons.... Grasping at straws? I can tell you right now many people have predicted the car will be gone...hasn't happened yet, and in reality I would say that one is probably long overdue, I want my teleportation device or at least my flying car by now!

The radio is still around after all these years. The TV, nor the internet, mp3s, cds, or walkmans have killed it. Wanna know why?..."radio" introduces you to the (new) music. And this is the most significant example of the TV being equated to the radio in this situation. Radio has actually gotten "stronger" recently = satellite radio....wanna know what else is getting stronger....TV! High Definition and 3D!!!!!

"TV" as we know it might be gone one day, but in like what 50+ years. Not five, not ten, not twenty. You and I will probably be dead.

The rest of your rant is a company trying to protect and/or increase their profits using online tools. It helps grow their companies and adds income for them. I get it. Doesn't in any way make them think their TV will be going bye bye....it just means that they have to fight with online companies for advertising dollars...the same as the radio and newspapers had to when TV first became available....The Grand Forks Herald Advertising on the TV is like NBC setting up NBC.com. It advertises their products and helps them generate revenue.

You really believe "TV" will be gone? And honestly when do you think that will happen?

Secondly, since it is so far down the road....we are talking how in less than two years UND will rarely be seen on national tv at home. A major step backwards for the program. You can watch all UND home games online right now.

Radio does still exist, but it is a minor player now compared to what it was in the beginning. From the 1930's into the 1950's it was the dominate medium. Then TV took over and the radio became backround for life.

TV may or may not go away. But the method of delivery is changing, and soon. People don't like having to pay $50 or $100 or more to get a bunch of channels they never watch. The internet allows them to watch what they want. They pick and choose. Cable and satellite companies may have to adjust and do something similar. Even if the cable and satellite companies stick around and adjust, the flexibility of the internet will allow it to become the dominate player in distributing video. And that is going to happen much sooner than you realize.

I'm trying to remember how many times my U of Mn Alma Mater traveled to Bemidji before the Beavs were admitted into the WCHA, or how many times the Gophers traveled to Mankato before the Blue Cows joined the WCHA. Perhaps you could give me the dates of those games. Minnesota, either fairly or not, has a reputation of not playing these teams until the WCHA put them on the schedule, even though as independents they were searching for hockey games. A game against the Golden Gophers would have been a huge boost to their program. Whereas UND , my other Alma Mater, helped put these teams on the map with games in Mankato and Bemidji befoer they were WCHA teams. The dates of those games are well documented.
The Gophers played at Bemidji in October of 2000 and Lucia was always very vocal in his support for them joining the WCHA. Also Minnesota every year during this time was locked in to four non-conference games a year with the showcase and the Mariucci Classic so they didnt have the felxibility in their schedule like UND did.

When I say "Comcast" am I talking about

Comcast Cable

Comcast the Internet Service Provider

Comcast Sports Net

When I say "Midcontinent" am I talking about

Midcontinent Cable

Midcontinent the Internet Service Provider

Midcontinent Sports Net

That's the direction all this is going.

RE: Radio. Sure terrestrial radio still exists, but it's been heavily damaged in terms of listenership (aka advertising revenue) by satellite radio and internet radio products like Pandora or SlackerRadio. And with Pandora or Slacker you don't even per se need the internet if you have a smart phone and a cell provider.

Again, that's the direction all this is going.

It's all data. The delivery mechanisms are changing and will continue to change.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if newspapers who set up websites will survive. The paper version is doomed.

Newspapers are a group that didn't initially embrace the changing technology. Some are finally adjusting to it. But even with adjustments even the old guard newspapers are struggling mightily. (The NYT lost $40 million in 2011. Ouch.)

Here's a question:

When's the last time you purchased, sat down, and read an actual ink and pulp newspaper?

The answer changes radically based on age group.

• Older folks and retirees probably still have daily delivery. (Full disclosure: I have weekend-only delivery.)
  • Younger folks: "Ink? Paper? Huh? Why? It's on my smart phone. And I'd rather spend the money for a double shot in my latte."

Knowing that, would you still prefer UND only release information by phone call or fax to just the GF Herald, or have an advanced website like UNDSports.com that everyone including media can reach to.

Forgot about slackerradio! Got a new laptop and forgot to bookmark it! Cable systems that embraced internet services were smart, smart, smart. I wonder if newspapers who set up websites will survive. The paper version is doomed.

Some papers, like The Wall Street Journal, NY Times, etc. have set up pay-sites that seem to be doing pretty well. Even the Strib has a pay-site. But smaller papers are probably going under if they can't develop a reasonable alternative to paper delivery and advertising.

Web delivery is the wave of the future, and it may explain why the larger cable companies, and Amazon and Google, are developing greater internet cotent and delivery systems.. Even that myopic boob, Gary Bettman, saw that future for the NHL. I see no reason why UND and/or the NCHC should not be moving in that direction.