SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Do you honestly think UND would have played Bemidji that much during those years if UND was already locked into four non-conference games per year because of the Showcase and the Mariucci Classic like the Gophers? Can you not see how that restricts who the Gophers can schedule?

Sioux fans are acting like they're saints for playing Bemidji more than Minnesota when ultimately it comes down to schedule flexibility. UND during those years had it, the Gophers did not.

So why not invite Bemidji State to their holiday tournament like UND has done on numerous occasions? It isn't like elite teams are coming to the Mariucci Classic every year, Niagara and Northeastern are real powerhouses.

Some info for those discussing which team has supported the Minnesota state schools more over the years, UND or Minnesota.

The table includes remaining scheduled games for each team:

..................UND.....................UM

...........Away/Total.............Away/Total

BSU..........9/25......................3/12

UMD.....101/218................102/220

MSU.......22/54....................18/45

SCSU.....46/100..................32/90

Total.....178/397................155/367

A few things to note:

UM traveled to BSU in 2000, one of only 5 non-tournament out-of-conference games they have traveled for since 2000. The four others were against UNH and tOSU.

One of UM's away games against MSU was played at the Xcel Energy Center.

One of UM's away games against SCSU was played at the Target Center.

UND did not play BSU in 2009-10, however, BSU played at the Ralph that year in UND's Subway Holiday Classic.

UND hosted BSU in the Subway Holiday Classic series in 2002.

BSU requested UND as the opponent to open their new facility in 2010.

UMD requested UND as the opponent to open their new facility in 2010.

Here is a list of UofM's opponents in their Holiday Classic from 2001 until 2009, the years UM did not play BSU after their initial home-and-home in 2000-01:

Ferris State (x2)

Providence

Yale

Boston College

Princeton

New Hampshire

Merrimack

Northern Michigan

Union

UMass-Lowell

Alabama-Huntsville

RIT

Air Force

Brown

Northeastern

• Upvote 2

The WCHA tourney will not be held at Xcel Energy Center after 2013. Hopefully the NCHC can secure a contract to hold its tournament there. Xcel is a fantastic venue and I love all the restaurants and bars within walking distance.

Also in the planning process is the site for the postseason tournament. The WCHA Final Five is currently held at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul every March, but it will not continue there beyond 2013.

Goeb said the committee is developing financial models for different site options to disseminate to the league for a vote. Sites being awarded on a bidding process, selection of a neutral site or having the regular-season champion serve as the host are some options being explored.

http://northsports.a...for-the-future/

The WCHA tourney will not be held at Xcel Energy Center after 2013. Hopefully the NCHC can secure a contract to hold its tournament there. Xcel is a fantastic venue and I love all the restaurants and bars within walking distance.

Good read. The X is either hosting the NCHC tournament or the B1G. I have a feeling that the NCHC will get it since the B1G is already committed to having the first two years conference tournaments at the top seeds arena. That definitely won't continue, though, in my opinion. Due to the fact that they will realize they can make much more money hosting it at larger venues.

Good read. The X is either hosting the NCHC tournament or the B1G. I have a feeling that the NCHC will get it since the B1G is already committed to having the first two years conference tournaments at the top seeds arena. That definitely won't continue, though, in my opinion. Due to the fact that they will realize they can make much more money hosting it at larger venues.

Not only a larger venue, but a venue that is set in advance so people can buy tickets and reserve flights and rooms ahead of time. Plenty of people go to the Final Five every year even if their team isn't in it (or maybe that's just UND fans).

Ah, crap! Sounds like the Big 10 conference is also currently in talks with Xcel Energy Center to host its tournament.

Instead of assigning all postseason games to campus sites, a majority of athletic directors from Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State and the University of Wisconsin are prepared to opt for a neutral site.

The item will then be forwarded later this month to the Big Ten administrative council, made up of league ADs, but that’s considered a formality.

"Good chance it will pass," said a Big Ten source who will remain anonymous because he’s not authorized to speak on the issue before the league formally votes on matter.

Another conference source with knowledge of the talks said approval of the format is a certainty and that the Big Ten is looking to finalize a deal this month with the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn. The source also will remain anonymous because he’s not authorized to speak publicly on the matter until after the voting is done.

http://www.greenbayp...xt%7CGPG-Sports

any idea where the WCHA tourny will be held after 2013?

If looking for something centered in their new footprint, the post-2013 WCHA should look at the Resch Center in Green Bay.

Ugh, can't get too excited about green bay...Sioux fans in Minneapolis have sure been spoiled having the tourney here...

Won't the big10 season be over early since they only have a 10 game schedule? :)

What about the MTS Centre in Winnipeg? We could definitely fill it up (almost like a home game for us), plus it would be a great recruitment tool, could even boost our fanbase. I see traveling across the border being a pain but other than that it would be a great experience.

I'm not seeing the rest of the conference agree to a non-US tournament site.

I am going to play Commissioner for a moment, or perhaps College Hockey Czar.

Why not have both conference tournaments at the X the same weekend?

If both are whittled down to the Top 4 teams in each conference advancing to St. Paul why not a format like this?

Friday: NCHC Semfinals (5:00pm and 8:00pm)

Saturday: Big 10 Seminfinal #1 (2:00pm) / Big 10 Semifinal #2 (5:00pm) / NCHC Championship (8:00pm)

Sunday: Big 10 Championship (afternoon game)

Think of it -- best case scenario: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin fans along with North Dakota, Duluth, Denver, and CC fans all in one place in one weekend.

Actually, best case scenario would be Minnesota at home, replaced by Ohio State.