SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

On a somewhat related note, NBC Sports had a wonderfully slavering look at the "greatness" of Notre Dame hockey last night. You'd think they were UND, or even Minnesota. :silly::lol:

If that's how it's going to be I'm kind of happy that BC let them into bed with them. They can have each other.

Very well said.

There's always someone who wants to P&M about everything. They must have a pretty miserable life. Last night R.T. O'Sullivan's in Mesa was packed with Sioux jerseys and not one person was complaining about the FSSN/WDAZ picture or their commercials. It's actually kind of fun seeing a local Grand Forks/EGF commercial when you're 2000 miles away.

Thanks to guys like Jim Satrom at PS Doors, Dahlstrom Motors, Home of Economy and all the rest who make it possible for all Sioux fans around the country to see UND sports. I don't care what format the picture is in as long as I can see Andrew MacWilliam snipe one of his patented goals against the Gophers. :D

How did Christine the server look at the game?

I guess I hadn't followed this thread in awhile. Very disappoining to hear poison instead of being grateful. I don't know if there are employees or owners, or families of employees who view conversations here from Dahlstrom Motors or PS Doors. But let me be the first to say, and I don't think I'm alone in this. I appreciate your support of UND Sports especially UND TV and Radio broadcasts, because I realize that without you both making a commitment to do so, we may not be so fortunate to have the ability to watch and hear our favorite teams play. Both, companies are local and successful and have been important anchors of our region for a long time. Actually, believe it or not Ole- PS Doors is a national company from the standpoint they do business all over the country, they just happen to be based here. Again, I have been a customer of both and have been completely satisfied with the service they have provided, and I am thankful when they choose to re-invest those dollars in marketing their businesses, that they choose to do so here and with the sports programs I love to follow. Thanks again Dahlstrom Motors & PS Doors- specifically the both of you since you unfortuanately specifically targeted here, but to all the businesses that choose to utilize FSSN as an avenue of your marketing. I appreciate it.

PS Doors is way more than a national company. They are a global company that installs doors all over the world.

If that's how it's going to be I'm kind of happy that BC let them into bed with them. They can have each other.

Oh yeah, they were really touting the fact that these "two Catholic schools" play D1 hockey. Guess they forgot about Sacred Heart, Providence, etc. On the flip-side, ND's new barn looks really sharp.

Please ponder the following:

Do the large, national advertisers want to be sponsoring a broadcast of a university with a "controvertial" moniker?

Most national ad agencies (who do the ad booking) are milquetoast and will run away at even the slightest sniff of "controversy".

This is a double edge sword. I work in the advertising industry (primarily digital) and some may shy away but for the most part they will go where the money is. These large agencies do a great job at manipulating reality in that they appear to be doing great but they are always hurting for money and will bend their "standards" if there is a paycheck to follow.

My firm works with search engine marketing (SEM) and Facebook; in essence a part of their product / service offerings. That said TV may be a bit different but in the end it boils down to dollars and cents. Just some thoughts from a current advertising executive. I haven't read through the rest of this thread so I apologize if this has been covered.

This is a double edge sword. I work in the advertising industry (primarily digital) and some may shy away but for the most part they will go where the money is. These large agencies do a great job at manipulating reality in that they appear to be doing great but they are always hurting for money and will bend their "standards" if there is a paycheck to follow.

My firm works with search engine marketing (SEM) and Facebook; in essence a part of their product / service offerings. That said TV may be a bit different but in the end it boils down to dollars and cents. Just some thoughts from a current advertising executive. I haven't read through the rest of this thread so I apologize if this has been covered.

There isn't enough money involved in advertising on UND hockey to make it worthwhile for national advertisers or advertising companies. The viewership is more similar to a local broadcast, even though there are people seeing it all over the country. The total number of viewers is still going to be a lot less than a local TV affiliate in a major metro market.

Is there really that much ad space to sell per game?

They have 3 media timeouts per period and can normally do 4 spots per timeout. That's 36 spots. They take a few more when there are long breaks, like sometimes after a goal. They have plenty of time between periods (3-5 minutes of ads each break?). They fit a few in before and after the game. They can probably fit more than 50 commercials in during a hockey broadcast. These are just estimates off the top of my head, I go to the games so I don't get to watch too often.

The day is coming when all television will be in HD and it won't be possible to broadcast in anything else. My question is this: When that day comes, will WDAZ spring for the equipment or will the UND Sports Network simply cease broadcasting?

My point is this: Either get HD equipment now or get it later, but you will eventually have to do it.

That day is sooner than you think.

Considering my $400 SD95 pocket digital camera shoots 720p at 24 frames per second with a decent-sized image sensor and optical image stabilization, something that would have cost tens of thousands just a decade ago, I agree the day is probably coming sooner rather than later. Although the Canon lenses and Grass Valley cameras used for Wild broadcasts are still $50k+ a set, camcorder-style HD broadcast cameras that would do a decent job can be had for $5k-10k and would be useful for ice-level video, up-close interviews, etc. if they invested in better equipment down the road.

Although two million for an HD OB van seems a little much, it would likely also cost well into six figures to equip a new HD van to do more than they can with their current SD productions. I think the real trigger will be when the local Grand Forks residents start to view SD broadcasts like black and white - unexpectedly obsolete for a modern broadcast. And I think that day isn't far off.

John

Considering my $400 SD95 pocket digital camera shoots 720p at 24 frames per second with a decent-sized image sensor and optical image stabilization, something that would have cost tens of thousands just a decade ago, I agree the day is probably coming sooner rather than later. Although the Canon lenses and Grass Valley cameras used for Wild broadcasts are still $50k+ a set, camcorder-style HD broadcast cameras that would do a decent job can be had for $5k-10k and would be useful for ice-level video, up-close interviews, etc. if they invested in better equipment down the road.

Although two million for an HD OB van seems a little much, it would likely also cost well into six figures to equip a new HD van to do more than they can with their current SD productions. I think the real trigger will be when the local Grand Forks residents start to view SD broadcasts like black and white - unexpectedly obsolete for a modern broadcast. And I think that day isn't far off.

John

I'm not convinced they don't have HD cameras at the Ralph. The game footage on the scoreboard looks to be in high def, much higher quality than what's being broadcasted on tv.

• 2 weeks later...

CBS Sports Network signs multi-year deal with National Collegiate Hockey Conference

CBS Sports Network has agreed to a multi-year agreement with the new National Collegiate Hockey Conference, beginning in the 2013-14 season

The agreement calls for a minimum of 18 conference games, including the National's semifinal and championship contests.

The TV deal for the NCHC has been finalized and announced. This is via @stevelepore on Twitter:

"CBS Sports Net will become the official home for the new NCHC. CBS will air 18-20 games from the conference, including their semi-finals and championship game."

This equals out to be 15-17 regular season games then.

I really think that this new conference needs to add 2 more teams to the league. In my opinion, this will help with scheduling and make it a more geographical centered league. I think we need to add Mich Tech and Northern Michigan. Michigan Tech because of the historical McNaughten connection and they are an up and coming team. Northern Michigan to get back another of the past wcha teams. Any thoughts?

I really think that this new conference needs to add 2 more teams to the league. In my opinion, this will help with scheduling and make it a more geographical centered league. I think we need to add Mich Tech and Northern Michigan. Michigan Tech because of the historical McNaughten connection and they are an up and coming team. Northern Michigan to get back another of the past wcha teams. Any thoughts?

I would say no to that. Don't want to be playing more games when we will have a hard enough time trying to schedule Minnesota, Wisconsin, and possibly Bemidji State. Not only that, but you don't want to have a full league if an attractive team starts up hockey or wants to change leagues. Keep it the way it is until you find some school that really adds to the league. At that point you might as well add Bemidji State and Mankato which would be closer teams which draw more excitement from our fans.