SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

You have repeated the exact same argument 3 times. It is called Dahlstrom Motors and if you can't stand watching the games in standard definition or the local commercials as you have stated over and over and over again, why don't you just watch something else. Nobody is forcing you to watch the games.

Uh, OK, Dahlberg is a big hearing aid company here in the twin cities. Sorry, guess that shows how much those ads mean to me. Also, I guess I will watch something else. And, I will keep my checkbook closed too. I used to be a very avid Sioux hockey fan, watched them since 1956, but you know, I really have preferred college FB the last few years. So, thanks, you helped me make my decision. I will only watch when they play on FSN in HD against the Gophers and any tournaments at year end. Thanks, you just saved me a lot of time and money.

Some people don't realize how lucky they are that they can even watch the games.

I would have given my left *** to be able to watch home games in the early 00's when my favorite player was at UND.

I know things improve & planes have jet engines now.

I felt lucky that the Omaha Lancers was one of the first teams to broadcast games on the web.

You had to be one of the first hundred or so to log on or you were out of luck because of limited band width available.

If you lost your dial up connection during the game you were SOL & probably couldn't get back on.

I think it's pretty cool to see games from around the country & local commercials.

The local advertisers are making it possible to get the games on TV & in between those commercials you get to watch the Sioux.

I think I've stated here before how fortunate I feel to be getting as many games on the tube as we do compared to 10-20 years ago. That being said, I've also stated that eventually everything will be in HD, especially sports. I just think that yoy need to be proactive and do it sooner rather than later. Maybe a benefactor will step up with the needed $. That would be super.

Some people don't realize how lucky they are that they can even watch the games.

I would have given my left *** to be able to watch home games in the early 00's when my favorite player was at UND.

I felt lucky that the Omaha Lancers was one of the first teams to broadcast games on the web.

You had to be one of the first hundred or so to log on or you were out of luck because of limited band width available.

If you lost your dial up connection during the game you were SOL & probably couldn't get back on.

I think it's pretty cool to see games from around the country & local commercials.

The local advertisers are making it possible to get the games on TV & in between those commercials you get to watch the Sioux.

I can remember the only way we could follow Sioux hockey was on the radio, now at least we can watch about 50-60 of the road game on the television and or Web.

Uh, OK, Dahlberg is a big hearing aid company here in the twin cities. Sorry, guess that shows how much those ads mean to me. Also, I guess I will watch something else. And, I will keep my checkbook closed too. I used to be a very avid Sioux hockey fan, watched them since 1956, but you know, I really have preferred college FB the last few years. So, thanks, you helped me make my decision. I will only watch when they play on FSN in HD against the Gophers and any tournaments at year end. Thanks, you just saved me a lot of time and money.

Well, I am sorry for being "the straw that broke the camel's back." Let me know how much you were going to pledge so that I can make it up to the school for my out of line actions accompanied by the fact that they don't carry UND sports in high definition. I am so ashamed of myself.

I think that we have it pretty good as UND fans. I am not one to sympathize with bison fans, but they had 2 home playoff games this year that many people were unable to watch because of their cable provider not carrying ESPN3 and having no local television stations to pick the games up. We, on the other hand, are lucky enough to watch the hockey team play exhibition games versus teams like the Russian Stars.

Well, I am sorry for being "the straw that broke the camel's back." Let me know how much you were going to pledge so that I can make it up to the school for my out of line actions accompanied by the fact that they don't carry UND sports in high definition. I am so ashamed of myself.

I think that we have it pretty good as UND fans. I am not one to sympathize with bison fans, but they had 2 home playoff games this year that many people were unable to watch because of their cable provider not carrying ESPN3 and having no local television stations to pick the games up. We, on the other hand, are lucky enough to watch the hockey team play exhibition games versus teams like the Russian Stars.

I don't think you can match what I have pledged in a legacy fund unless you are quite fortunate, but that said, if BSU and their Public TV station can broadcast in HD then so can UND. We do have it pretty good. I remember as a kid listening to the first UND national championship in Rochester NY on a static filled radio so I know how far we have come, but c'mon, we play in a $100+ million arena and on TV it looks like the fog just rolled in off the Red River. Don't compare us to the Bison. Just get UND into the 21st century. Do you know anyone who has bought a standard def TV in the last 5 years? It is time to move on.

I don't think you can match what I have pledged in a legacy fund unless you are quite fortunate, but that said, if BSU and their Public TV station can broadcast in HD then so can UND. We do have it pretty good. I remember as a kid listening to the first UND national championship in Rochester NY on a static filled radio so I know how far we have come, but c'mon, we play in a $100+ million arena and on TV it looks like the fog just rolled in off the Red River. Don't compare us to the Bison. Just get UND into the 21st century. Do you know anyone who has bought a standard def TV in the last 5 years? It is time to move on.

Maybe you need to take your own advice and get over the fact that UND hockey games are not aired in HD. If that is not good enough for you, than you need watch something else and quit bitching about it on this site. We get your point, you have made it several times now...Move on!!

• Upvote 1

DaveK???

• Upvote 1

Maybe you need to take your own advice and get over the fact that UND hockey games are not aired in HD. If that is not good enough for you, than you need watch something else and quit bitching about it on this site. We get your point, you have made it several times now...Move on!!

Thanks for the advice, I will quit complaining, and I will move on. If you folks wanted to watch a premier hockey program on B&W TV with snow why should I care. I guess you are all still using landlines too out there on the prairie.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice, I will quit complaining, and I will move on. If you folks wanted to watch a premier hockey program on B&W TV with snow why should I care. I guess you are all still using landlines too out there on the prairie.

If you are more concerned about the clarity of the picture on your television than the quality of the team on the ice there are other programming options for you on the weekends. You could jump on the Gophers bandwagon, watch reruns of "Gilmore Girls", or ask DaveK if you can borrow from his library of games.

What channel do you watch fssn on? Fcs picture ive noticed isnt the best but if you watch fssn on midco in grand forks or fta satellite the picture is a very good sd picture. Yes HD would be nice but what channel would you watch it on? Fcs shows no hd programming anyways. The truth is Sioux fans haved just as many options to watch their team on national tv as any other hockey school's fans out therethere. I am very happy for that.

If you are more concerned about the clarity of the picture on your television than the quality of the team on the ice there are other programming options for you on the weekends. You could jump on the Gophers bandwagon, watch reruns of "Gilmore Girls", or ask DaveK if you can borrow from his library of games.

Not worthy of reply.

What channel do you watch fssn on? Fcs picture ive noticed isnt the best but if you watch fssn on midco in grand forks or fta satellite the picture is a very good sd picture. Yes HD would be nice but what channel would you watch it on? Fcs shows no hd programming anyways. The truth is Sioux fans haved just as many options to watch their team on national tv as any other hockey school's fans out therethere. I am very happy for that.

I get FSSN on 623 and 617 on directv in std def for UND sports. I get FSN on 668 and 669 for UM sports and UW hockey and Wild etc., big 10, all sports on 610-615, and BSU hockey on 22 all in HD. I admit, I am glad to get FSSN, but it is time to move to an HD signal! What is so holy about staying in Std Def, people?

Ok, I will buy that, but please, do not subject me to ads that could be produced by the local high school. I am so tired of seeing the same car from Dahlberg drive across a snowy road in the middle of nowhere. What about local fanchisers of national chains, i.e. Subway, Red Lobster, Applebee's etc. I do not know how many of these are in the GF area, but between no HD and ads that are strictly amateurish it is hard to watch in real time. I now just watch the UND highlites on my DVR in between watching HD sports on other channels.

Local franchises are still bought by National Agencies and none of them will buy small time hockey. Just because you own a Franchise does not mean you can go off and do your own advertising, you still have to follow corporate guidlines. NCAA Hockey is not a big time event until you get to the Frozen Four or you are a college from a Major conference. If the average person sees the Gophers playing Wisconsin they will probably watch that (because they are Big Ten Schools) but if they see the Sioux playing Denver, chances are they will not be tuning in.

The day is coming when all television will be in HD and it won't be possible to broadcast in anything else. My question is this: When that day comes, will WDAZ spring for the equipment or will the UND Sports Network simply cease broadcasting?

My point is this: Either get HD equipment now or get it later, but you will eventually have to do it.

That day is sooner than you think.

I dont have directv so i dont know....is there any fcs hd programming on channel 617 or 623 ever? I understood there is no such thing as fcs programming in hd. I don't know how und could come up with a national hd contract when the nchc can only come up with a 16 game tv schedule with cbs college sports.

How lucky are we that things are so good with our favorite hockey program that we feel the need to spend so much time complaining about power play clocks and HD?

Yes, I'd REALLY like the Sioux to be broadcast in HD too, now that I finally moved into this century and have my own HD tv. I realize how awesome it is. But let's face it. Grand Forks is Grand Forks. It's not a big place with a ton of $. I love it. I'm proud to be a UND alum, I'm proud to tell people I went to college in Grand Forks, I love coming back each year for a series of hockey and to reacquaint with old times.

But Grand Forks is who it is. There probably isn't enough $ for some of the really nice things. The only reason we have such an awesome facility is we were lucky to have such a passionate alum/donor, who cared so much about the hockey program. Without that, we would have to complain about the quality of our facilities too. And without the commitment to the program would we have/keep such a good coaching staff?

Me? I'm looking on the bright side. Happy to just be watching the games from my home in the Twin Cities.

The day is coming when all television will be in HD and it won't be possible to broadcast in anything else. My question is this: When that day comes, will WDAZ spring for the equipment or will the UND Sports Network simply cease broadcasting?

My point is this: Either get HD equipment now or get it later, but you will eventually have to do it.

That day is sooner than you think.

You are not understanding this, WDAZ airs its own broadcasts in HD because its all done in the studio. The FSSN or UND Sports Network is the Universities problem not WDAZ or MIDCO. It is not a smart investment for WDAZ to buy traveling equipment and a semi trailer full of HD hookups when it will get used for a total of 50-60 home games, less now that CBS Sports will be airing NCHC games. The University has to make up their mind if they want to air their games in HD and right now they feel the need to air stuff in HD can wait.

How lucky are we that things are so good with our favorite hockey program that we feel the need to spend so much time complaining about power play clocks and HD?

Yes, I'd REALLY like the Sioux to be broadcast in HD too, now that I finally moved into this century and have my own HD tv. I realize how awesome it is. But let's face it. Grand Forks is Grand Forks. It's not a big place with a ton of $. I love it. I'm proud to be a UND alum, I'm proud to tell people I went to college in Grand Forks, I love coming back each year for a series of hockey and to reacquaint with old times.

But Grand Forks is who it is. There probably isn't enough $ for some of the really nice things. The only reason we have such an awesome facility is we were lucky to have such a passionate alum/donor, who cared so much about the hockey program. Without that, we would have to complain about the quality of our facilities too. And without the commitment to the program would we have/keep such a good coaching staff?

Me? I'm looking on the bright side. Happy to just be watching the games from my home in the Twin Cities.

always the voice of reason, Dagies.

On the coaches show Hakstol said the outdoor game against Omaha is in the works, and Hennessey said that Blais thinks it will be a reality. The Sioux would play Friday at the Qwest Center, then play outdoors at the baseball stadium. Hakstol said the people working on getting it done know what they are doing. It would be interesting to see how many Sioux fans would go down knowing that many of them most likely would only be able to get tickets for the outdoor game.

On the coaches show Hakstol said the outdoor game against Omaha is in the works, and Hennessey said that Blais thinks it will be a reality. The Sioux would play Friday at the Qwest Center, then play outdoors at the baseball stadium. Hakstol said the people working on getting it done know what they are doing. It would be interesting to see how many Sioux fans would go down knowing that many of them most likely would only be able to get tickets for the outdoor game.

Curious why you think that most would only be able to get tickets for the outdoor game? There were definitely tickets available last year for the Omaha series and they had most of if not all of the upper deck closed off. I believe that it holds just under 17,000 for hockey which is a huge amount.