SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I would say no to that. Don't want to be playing more games when we will have a hard enough time trying to schedule Minnesota, Wisconsin, and possibly Bemidji State. Not only that, but you don't want to have a full league if an attractive team starts up hockey or wants to change leagues. Keep it the way it is until you find some school that really adds to the league. At that point you might as well add Bemidji State and Mankato which would be closer teams which draw more excitement from our fans.

Sounds like you will get WI for the next 5 years after the split. It might be 5 years before MN and UND play. MN has a deal with Norte Dame

Sounds like you will get WI for the next 5 years after the split. It might be 5 years before MN and UND play. MN has a deal with Norte Dame

Looks like Minnesota has lost it's sense of tradition. Not to mention the loss of revenue and public interest from that series, no class at the UM.

Looks like Minnesota has lost it's sense of tradition. Not to mention the loss of revenue and public interest from that series, no class at the UM.

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe Faison et al. need to get on the phone to their counterparts at Minnesota. I doubt Minnesota would pass up the chance to fill up Mariucci playing the Sioux,at least one series a season.

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe Faison et al. need to get on the phone to their counterparts at Minnesota. I doubt Minnesota would pass up the chance to fill up Mariucci playing the Sioux,at least one series a season.

Coach Hakstol is already on record saying that he has reserved spots on future schedules to play Minnesota every year in a home-and-home series (two games a year). Sounds like the ball is in Lucia's court.

Can we not broadcast games on FCS that the other two networks are uninterested in broadcasting?

Nope, apparently the deal is that they cannot be broadcasted nationally unless it's on CBS Sports. The games will still be on tv in this region but that's it.

Via Schlossman on Twitter:

"CBS Sports Network TV deal (3 yrs contract) is probably good for those locally - home games will still be on TV and some in HD. It's a bad deal for those who live in Ariz., Calif., Colo., etc., who will now be watching a lot more webcasts."

Can we not broadcast games on FCS that the other two networks are uninterested in broadcasting?

Nope. UND SID said CBS College Sports will have exclusive national rights, while UND retains exclusive regional, local rights.

Sounds like UND had to bite the bullet and lose its 21-game TV deal for the good of the conference. UND SID said they still have a year and a half to work on TV situation, etc.

It would be interesting if, say, DU has games on their "regional" FSN-RM...which I can pick up on my direcTV sports package. Would they now be blacked out? Purely hypothetical, but what if UND were to get a "regional" deal on the "regional" FSN-North? Or...what if the UNDSN were to become available to DirecTV subscribers and thus available to everyone via the sports package?

It would be interesting if, say, DU has games on their "regional" FSN-RM...which I can pick up on my direcTV sports package. Would they now be blacked out? Purely hypothetical, but what if UND were to get a "regional" deal on the "regional" FSN-North? Or...what if the UNDSN were to become available to DirecTV subscribers and thus available to everyone via the sports package?

Pretty sure FSN-North is out of the question due to the Gophers, Wild, T-Wolves, etc. Unless they can find free weekends to get UND on FSN+. I'm not sure on the UNDSN going to UND, though. I believe DirecTV has to pick up the channel through Midcontinent. Chances are very slim since DirecTV would probably be paying Midco for the channel. Unless UNDSN makes their own deal with DirecTV, which also seems like a long shot. I guess we'll see, though! Lots can happen!

Shouldn't Minnesota put the priority on scheduling other Minnesota schools? As much as I enjoy the rivalry I'd rather play other Minnesota schools (mostly UMD) every year and get a road game out east (BC/BU) every year.

I think any games between UMN and UND for the next couple years will be happening either in national tourny's or in Minneapolis.

Shouldn't Minnesota put the priority on scheduling other Minnesota schools? As much as I enjoy the rivalry I'd rather play other Minnesota schools (mostly UMD) every year and get a road game out east (BC/BU) every year.

I think any games between UMN and UND for the next couple years will be happening either in national tourny's or in Minneapolis.

I like how Mn fans make light of this rivalry, you guys are the only people that do this!

The players say otherwise when interviewed, the announcers say otherwise during games, and all of this watching the series in Mn!

Now you guys say like you have anything to say about it(this is funny) "we might play UND but it will be in Mn"

I mean come on, who do you think you are? Seriously!!

Any true hockey fan would be demanding this rivalry to continue!!

• Upvote 2

Ouch. I didn't know this until now. The deal with the NCHC and CBS Sports means UND CANNOT broadcast games nationally on FCS. That's a big hit no matter what way you look at it.

Agreed. More than likely, now I will not be able to watch UND play hockey.... although I am holding out hope that since I am relatively close to Western Michigan, maybe I can pick it up from them?

Agreed. More than likely, now I will not be able to watch UND play hockey.... although I am holding out hope that since I am relatively close to Western Michigan, maybe I can pick it up from them?

I believe the only cable system that will support UND games now is Midcontinent. Like I said, though. Give it some time, a lot of things can happen in the next year and a half.

Midcontinent is a joke too. They only cover the local games. I am glad I have the sports package so that I can maybe pick up a game in colorado. FSN+ was to have the Wisc, series and someone forgot to turn it on. Luckly I was able to watch on regular tv.

UND will always be small time for tv coverage because WDAY has its hooks in too deep. Sorry to sound so negative, but I am hating not being able to see more games here in Bismarck.

Midcontinent is a joke too. They only cover the local games. I am glad I have the sports package so that I can maybe pick up a game in colorado. FSN+ was to have the Wisc, series and someone forgot to turn it on. Luckly I was able to watch on regular tv.

UND will always be small time for tv coverage because WDAY has its hooks in too deep. Sorry to sound so negative, but I am hating not being able to see more games here in Bismarck.

Nobody forgot to turn it on. It was on FSN+. Depending on where you live (assuming the Twin Cities), it was on Comcast channel 13. That is the standard def channel for FSN+ in Minneapolis. 694 is the HD channel, and 23 is the standard def channel for St Paul. All they did was rebroadcast the UNDSN production so it wasn't in HD, hence, it was on 13/23 instead of 694.

looks like sioux fans better start buying their free to air satellites.

one step forward two steps back.

Do we know for sure they're still going to be available on FTA? If they are I'll gladly spend a couple hundred bucks, one time fee, to watch all the home games.

But you will be playing those schools in the XCEL tournament they are working on. I for one would not be happy if UND agreed to playing in Minneapolis without a return game promised. I think the NCAA needs to start factoring things like home games played into the pairwise rankings. Teams that get to play a lot more games at home than on the road have a distinct advantage over those that are filling their coffers by playing in bigger schools rinks, especially the way officials tend to officiate to the benefit of the home team.

Nobody forgot to turn it on. It was on FSN+. Depending on where you live (assuming the Twin Cities), it was on Comcast channel 13. That is the standard def channel for FSN+ in Minneapolis. 694 is the HD channel, and 23 is the standard def channel for St Paul. All they did was rebroadcast the UNDSN production so it wasn't in HD, hence, it was on 13/23 instead of 694.

Do we know for sure they're still going to be available on FTA? If they are I'll gladly spend a couple hundred bucks, one time fee, to watch all the home games.

. Probably won't know until all the tv deals are finalized...but would definitely suck if the net effect is being able to watch FEWER games because of this new deal...

Thanks Faison for wrecking our National TV deal and the WCHA!!! Appreciate it!1

Now our other sports are going to suffer... I doubt cbs sports or whatever you call it isnt going to pick up a volleyball game or basketball game

If you're looking for someone to blame, look to the east: Barry Alvarez.

• Upvote 2

It sounds like UND might have a secondary plan for televising more games when the FCS contract ends:

The bad news is that the FCS contract is up after the 2012-13 season and will not be renewed. CBS will have exclusive rights for national broadcasts for the conference.

UND will retain rights to broadcast games locally and regionally.

UND spokesperson Jayson Hajdu says that the school also is “working on a plan for the day when the FCS contract expires,” but didn’t detail what that involves.

They've got a couple years to figure out how to get more games televised to a broader audience. I have faith that they can do it. :)