SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I hope MSUM has DI hockey that way I can see a UND road game and be home in 15 minutes!

UND would rarely ever travel there. Maybe as the inaugural game for the program, but that's about it.

If MSUM is still $7 million short, and most of the big money FM donors have already made commitments, that's a lot of $100s to raise.

UND would rarely ever travel there. Maybe as the inaugural game for the program, but that's about it.

If MSUM is still $7 million short, and most of the big money FM donors have already made commitments, that's a lot of $100s to raise.

The thing is, this is about the fifth drop dead date I've heard for MSUM hockey. The last one I heard of was October, and there have been numerous other dates in the last 2 years.

I seriously doubt they can come up with the money. I think the biggest pushers of this are the area owners over in Fargo. They desperately need another tenant in the building.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice article on the history of Huntsville and the effort to save their team. Though the article never lists how they are going to save the team.

Over the past three years, the group has raised more than $546,000.

"Members of The University of Alabama in Huntsville administration met this evening with hockey supporters, following discussions with Chancellor Malcolm Portera, and came to a consensus to work closely together to pursue institutional and community support to continue UAH hockey at the Division I level.

"Several scenarios were discussed to ensure recurring support is in place, and the two groups will continue to meet in the coming days to finalize a workable plan."

Quite the difference in money compared to Moorhead trying to endow the program. Without being in a conference and hardly getting 10 home games a year is not a way to sustain a team without a major chunk of money each year.

Would be nice if the NCHC membership could step forward with a scheduling agreement with UAH to "tide" them over for a few years. For example, one series every other year from each member ... 8 games from the NCHC, 8 from the WCHA membership, 6 from the Big Ten (as if), plus the remainder from eastern conferences, and you've got a pretty good schedule.

Would be nice if the NCHC membership could step forward with a scheduling agreement with UAH to "tide" them over for a few years. For example, one series every other year from each member ... 8 games from the NCHC, 8 from the WCHA membership, 6 from the Big Ten (as if), plus the remainder from eastern conferences, and you've got a pretty good schedule.

With UConn considering an upgrade in scholarships and moving to Hockey East, that may open an Atlantic Hockey slot for UAH. Also, Air Force is reportedly considering the WCHA, now that the WCHA doesn't have power teams in it so that AFA can be consistently competitive.

http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com/2011/12/29/maturi-turns-down-nchc/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter This certainly does not instill confidence in the direction that our new league is headed. Maturi is better suited to be an assistant elemantary school principal. Who is next on the list McLeod?

I hate to say it but I that was the first thing that I thought as well.

While were at it, what are the odds that one or both of the Sheppard boys follow Minnesota to the Big Ten Conference? I would bet the Papa is trying to get them in the Big Ten as refs.

Are you serious? Really? Why would the Shepherd dolts want to go to the BTHC? They have it made in the WCHA as long as Greg Shepherd is running the show. They can screw up and as long as they don't pull a Randy Schmidt or bring the PR nightmare Don Adam did in the Bina tragedy, they're good to go. In the BTHC, they'd have to pull their weight. That's not what Brad or Derek wants to do. They want to ride Daddy's coattails.

Looks like the National is set to announce a 16 game CBS sports TV package. This looks good.

But not NBC sports good that Hockey East got because that doesn't require a sports pack add on.

That being said it's nice they found a station. Because of the Big Ten move look at all the hockey that will now be aired nationally that never was before. Now maybe games would've been anyways, but would 3 national networks truly be picking them up?

I know we have a few television guys on the board. Does CBS bring in their own cameras or do they share what FSSN uses? Because I think UND needs to get HD cameras over the summer.

• Upvote 2

But not NBC sports good that Hockey East got because that doesn't require a sports pack add on.

That being said it's nice they found a station. Because of the Big Ten move look at all the hockey that will now be aired nationally that never was before. Now maybe games would've been anyways, but would 3 national networks truly be picking them up?

I know we have a few television guys on the board. Does CBS bring in their own cameras or do they share what FSSN uses? Because I think UND needs to get HD cameras over the summer.

WDAZ won't spring for a penalty clock let alone HD cameras. Would be nice though!

• Upvote 1

I believe they just use the cameras FSSN uses, like FCS does right now. But I'm not positive on that. For something like this they may use their own cameras, but I don't think those channels are HD at all.

WDAZ won't spring for a penalty clock let alone HD cameos. Would be nice though!

I have have asked about WDAZ getting HD at the Wednesday press conferences a few times and I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

I believe they just use the cameras FSSN uses, like FCS does right now. But I'm not positive on that. For something like this they may use their own cameras, but I don't think those channels are HD at all.

I would bet CBS college sports brings their own cameras/equipment. They did a CC/DU game this year in HD, and last year's Friday night UND @ CC game was on CBS college sports in HD. I don't think CC has much of any TV package let alone HD equipment in their building...unless they webcast in HD because that's the only way to watch their games that aren't produced by someone else's TV network.

CBS SN is broadcast in both standard and high definition (314 and 635 respectively on Midco in Grand Forks). Regardless, not sure on whether they bring there own cameras in or not.

If UND/NCHC does not provide HD they will lose viewers. I am getting so tired of watching FSSN in std def, I only watch about half of any game any more. I can switch to FSN or Big 10 channel on Directv and get HD hockey, FB, BB etc. and the difference is like night and day. Nice to be able to watch, but after making the investment in HD TV's I expect to see HD sports coverage, when I do not, I watch it in spurts or record it and watch the highlites. In addition the advertising on FSSN is terrible.

• Upvote 2

I just don't understand what WDAZ is waiting for in terms of HD across the board. I know it's not cheap, but it's not like HD is a passing fad that's going to go away anytime soon. HD is the present and future...time to get with the times. Maybe they can't fund anything because they don't have viewers because no one wants to watch their SD broadcasts?

Just a thought...

• Upvote 1