SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

If a school does this you would think they have to consider doing it for all the sports that it has. If that is the case, not sure if it is, UND will not even come a quarter of the way to what they need. The only schools that would be able to are the B1G schools in hockey, and that is just because they are overall, by far the most profitable conference in college athletics. I saw a story the other day that said if this does come to be a truth only 40 of the 67 I think? BCS schools would be able to afford doing it. I would have to assume if not all the BCS schools could afford it, that a school like UND will have no chance to. Minnesota is one that can barely afford it and will be doing it and that is just because they are a top 20 school in popularity in the country in athletics and because they are a top 25 school in merchandise sales in the country. UND isn't in the top 150 for either of those which leads one to believe that they have no chance at doing this. If they do they're going to have to get A LOT of private funds from alumni and such.

Edit: Sorry, it has become a truth

This will actually save the SEC schools money in theory. :hypocrite:

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice when we get to the NCHC, if the Sioux could schedule playing in Duluth in October or November, instead of January and February, which has been the case lately. Be nice to be able to make a trip up the North Shore when winter hasn't already taken hold. If Brian Faison is listening, please work at getting some sort of rotation, so trips like that don't always have to be made when the weather conditions can make it a hit or miss type of thing.

It would be nice when we get to the NCHC, if the Sioux could schedule playing in Duluth in October or November, instead of January and February, which has been the case lately. Be nice to be able to make a trip up the North Shore when winter hasn't already taken hold. If Brian Faison is listening, please work at getting some sort of rotation, so trips like that don't always have to be made when the weather conditions can make it a hit or miss type of thing.

I'm sure that will happen eventually since we will be playing each other four times every year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still a little irritated that we threw away the history of the original WCHA just to form the glorified "new" WCHA.

I think the powers that be in the new "super conference" were gambling too aggressively that ND would join too and give it some instant star appeal for a big media deal. Instead, we end up with a collection of hockey schools of various calibers and a decimated WCHA.

I think the powers that be in the new "super conference" were gambling too aggressively that ND would join too and give it some instant star appeal for a big media deal. Instead, we end up with a collection of hockey schools of various calibers and a decimated WCHA.

We basically have the best teams from the current WCHA (not counting the Big Ten Traitors) plus Miami and WMU instead of AA, Bemidji, Mankato and Tech. Oh yeah, and St. Cloud. :glare: And no Bruce McLeod.

So, what about how the WCHA would be after Minnesota and Wisconsin leave is better than the above.

We basically have the best teams from the current WCHA (not counting the Big Ten Traitors) plus Miami and WMU instead of AA, Bemidji, Mankato and Tech. Oh yeah, and St. Cloud. :glare: And no Bruce McLeod.

So if you think you would like the way the WCHA would be after Minnesota and Wisconsin leave, you should love the NCHC.

It's definitely a better conference, it's unfortunate that it won't get as much media opportunities as the Big 10 and Hockey East.

It's definitely a better conference, it's unfortunate that it won't get as much media opportunities as the Big 10 and Hockey East.

True.

Who knows what will happen. If the NCHC teams can all be competitive on the national stage and if UND wins titles, still, I won't complain. In a few years, we could all be watching games exclusively over an internet connection and traditional media outlets will be irrelevant.

Even with ND, the NCHC wouldn't even come close to the media coverage for the BTHC or HE. This is a media no-man's land compared to those markets. Lol @ the "big TV money" for the NCHC.

UND should have stayed in the WCHA. (they see that now) But their insane jealousy of Minnesota's move to the premiere hockey conference in the country, enticed UND to want something (possibly) better. UND has created quite a mess. Did you people really think that UND and the NCHC had the wherewithal to grab ND? Most people knew better...

Even with ND, the NCHC wouldn't even come close to the media coverage for the BTHC or HE. This is a media no-man's land compared to those markets. Lol @ the "big TV money" for the NCHC.

UND should have stayed in the WCHA. (they see that now) But their insane jealousy of Minnesota's move to the premiere hockey conference in the country, enticed UND to want something (possibly) better. UND has created quite a mess. Did you people really think that UND and the NCHC had the wherewithal to grab ND? Most people knew better...

I'm sure UND regretted the UW/UM move, but describing it as jealousy of UM's move is delusional. It was UW and others who brought about that move and, judging by the recent past, the quality of hockey will be better in the NCHC. The BTHC will most likely be the third best hockey conference, though they will, no doubt, have the largest media pie to cut.

• Upvote 2

Why would they want to stay with the bottom feeders of the current WCHA? It's better to only have one conference turd (St Cloud) than about 5 of them.

• Upvote 3

Why would they want to stay with the bottom feeders of the current WCHA? It's better to only have one conference turd (St Cloud) than about 5 of them.

I believe there were two issues. First, is that of the remaining WCHA teams the schools with limited budgets were in control of the voting which handicapped trying to do bigger and better things. Second, UND and others wanted to get rid of McCleod but couldn't get enough votes to do it. While some seem to lament SCSU getting in, they are either going to have to pony up big time or they will be the bottom feeder. They won't have UAA, MSU-Mankato, and Michigan Tech to play to help boost their record. Of course, neither will UND or the others. It will be tougher in-conference.

I just got done reading the emails and the president of SCSU sounds like a bumbling buffoon. I don't think those emails shed a very positive light on SCSU as an institution and it makes them look like a desperate second rate university.

I can't believe some people wanted to stay in a watered down WCHA.

Let's not forget there was talk of Minot St and Moorhead joining the WCHA. These would have been UND's new peers! Had to get out!

Exactly. Moorhead's "90 day" should be up soon, although it sounded like Moorhead is 75% of the way on the fund raising. They need to announce soon if the want teams up and running by fall of 2013. Although it may never happen, with all the oil money and people pouring into Minot in spite of the flood, in a couple years if Minot St had the will, the money could be raised.

As far as Notre Dame, it's interesting that Hockey East hasn't announced a 12th team. If another non-B1G Midwestern school like Marquette, DePaul, or Iowa State could be convinced to add hockey, Notre Dame could probably be convinced to move over. The Irish, if the NCHC had a Big East or Big 12 school, would be much more comfortable with the NCHC.