SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

WDAZ won't spring for a penalty clock let alone HD cameos. Would be nice though!

ummm HD cameras wont be the only thing you need to have an HD feed. You will need an HD truck and those do not come cheap.

What is wrong with the advertising on FSSN? The people that are advertising on FSSN are the ones who are investing in their business which inturn allows people like you to watch Sioux hockey games!

• Upvote 1

If UND/NCHC does not provide HD they will lose viewers. I am getting so tired of watching FSSN in std def, I only watch about half of any game any more. I can switch to FSN or Big 10 channel on Directv and get HD hockey, FB, BB etc. and the difference is like night and day. Nice to be able to watch, but after making the investment in HD TV's I expect to see HD sports coverage, when I do not, I watch it in spurts or record it and watch the highlites. In addition the advertising on FSSN is terrible.

I am tired of an administration that is reactive rather than proactive....Division I. HD TV.

And not give me the same lame excuse(money). People ain't buying it!

• Upvote 1

I just don't understand what WDAZ is waiting for in terms of HD across the board. I know it's not cheap, but it's not like HD is a passing fad that's going to go away anytime soon. HD is the present and future...time to get with the times. Maybe they can't fund anything because they don't have viewers because no one wants to watch their SD broadcasts?

Just a thought...

Well your thought is actually wrong because everything that is broadcasted on Channel 8 is in HD, it is channel 323 that is the problem. What you people don't realize is that putting on FSSN is a team effort between UND, WDAZ and Midco. None of them have an HD truck (which makes HD available outside the studio) and none of them are going to put up the money to purchase one (why would WDAZ buy one when they more than likely are going to lose the FSSN, same applies to Midco). If you guys want it in HD (I will admit, HD is nice) get mad at the University as they are the ones who need a mobile HD vehicle, NOT WDAZ or MIDCO.

Well your thought is actually wrong because everything that is broadcasted on Channel 8 is in HD, it is channel 323 that is the problem. What you people don't realize is that putting on FSSN is a team effort between UND, WDAZ and Midco. None of them have an HD truck (which makes HD available outside the studio) and none of them are going to put up the money to purchase one (why would WDAZ buy one when they more than likely are going to lose the FSSN, same applies to Midco). If you guys want it in HD (I will admit, HD is nice) get mad at the University as they are the ones who need a mobile HD vehicle, NOT WDAZ or MIDCO.

That's what I was saying originally. UND/REA needs to invest in the cameras and truck. If REA had the capability to do HD where CBS didn't have to send their equipment then CBS is likely to televise more Sioux games as it's a better investment for them. Of course there could be a clause in the contract about how many times a team could be on.

• Upvote 1

ummm HD cameras wont be the only thing you need to have an HD feed. You will need an HD truck and those do not come cheap.

What is wrong with the advertising on FSSN? The people that are advertising on FSSN are the ones who are investing in their business which inturn allows people like you to watch Sioux hockey games!

Middle Tennessee State University just bought a state of the art new HD production truck with HD cameras, production equipment and satellite uplinks for under $2 million early last year. There is no reason UND couldn't afford to invest in a similar endeavor so PEOPLE LIKE ME can enjoy our favorite past time in HD. This is a smart investment for the university.

• Upvote 1

Middle Tennessee State University just bought a state of the art new HD production truck with HD cameras, production equipment and satellite uplinks for under $2 million early last year. There is no reason UND couldn't afford to invest in a similar endeavor so PEOPLE LIKE ME can enjoy our favorite past time in HD. This is a smart investment for the university.

Did Middle Tennessee State have to change their nickname along with everything that goes with it? UND has a lot more on their plate to take care of first before they purchase HD.

OK, I'll admit I'm wrong on the logistics, assuming you are right. My opinion is still the same. Whether it's UND, WDAZ, or whomever, why continue to let this issue pass by? It's like they are counting on HDTV as just a fad that will go away and everyone will return to SD programming. Won't happen. At some point, a switch needs to be made. I know money is a big issue, but there has to be some way to fund something like this to make it feasible instead of letting the world pass UND by.

Just a thought...

• Upvote 2

That's what I was saying originally. UND/REA needs to invest in the cameras and truck. If REA had the capability to do HD where CBS didn't have to send their equipment then CBS is likely to televise more Sioux games as it's a better investment for them. Of course there could be a clause in the contract about how many times a team could be on.

Well, someone does. I get BSU hockey in HD, I get Gopher hockey in HD, I get other Big 10 sports, Hockey East etc. in HD. I get everything other than FSSN in HD. I DO NOT watch UND hockey anymore on FSSN because it looks like they are playing in a fog. I do watch other UND sports because they are on so seldom and it is my only chance to watch. There is zero chance I will ever buy a vehicle from Dahlberg motors or anything from PS Doors, whomever the &*( they are. Folks, this is a national broadcast, with national exposure. It needs national advertising or at least names that get recognized. Realize that going D1 moves UND into national visibility, not Red River Valley plus! Get an HD capability, get some nationally known advertising and do it soon. This is no longer the little school on the prairie! It will take money, but that is the price to pay if you want to be D1. My next check to UND is pending as I write this.

• Upvote 1

If you want HD, "national exposure" isn't the right argument to make. Right now, this season, Fox College Sports is the extent of the national coverage (until any possible national tournament appearance). FCS does not broadcast their three channels (Atlantic, Central, Pacific) in HD. Starting next season with CBS College Sports, that IS broadcast in HD so then it will be beneficial to have the capabilites. As Smoggy said, we would probably be more likely to have games on if CBS doesn't have to haul their equipment to Grand Forks just to show the game. Maybe that will be the kick in the pants necessary to get the infrastructure updated.

As Smoggy said, we would probably be more likely to have games on if CBS doesn't have to haul their equipment to Grand Forks just to show the game. Maybe that will be the kick in the pants necessary to get the infrastructure updated.

In order for this to be the case, wouldn't UND have to be one of the few teams in the conference without the HD equipment? Tell me how many teams in the conference broadcast their home games in HD; or maybe the better question is which teams even broadcast their games on TV at all?

Well, someone does. I get BSU hockey in HD, I get Gopher hockey in HD, I get other Big 10 sports, Hockey East etc. in HD. I get everything other than FSSN in HD. I DO NOT watch UND hockey anymore on FSSN because it looks like they are playing in a fog. I do watch other UND sports because they are on so seldom and it is my only chance to watch. There is zero chance I will ever buy a vehicle from Dahlberg motors or anything from PS Doors, whomever the &*( they are. Folks, this is a national broadcast, with national exposure. It needs national advertising or at least names that get recognized. Realize that going D1 moves UND into national visibility, not Red River Valley plus! Get an HD capability, get some nationally known advertising and do it soon. This is no longer the little school on the prairie! It will take money, but that is the price to pay if you want to be D1. My next check to UND is pending as I write this.

UND does not have the national exposure that National Advertisers want. That and NCAA Hockey is not as big as Football, Basketball and sometimes Baseball. UND is still a small time player in a big pond of Network Television, I am sorry to burst your bubble but UND hockey will not be very relevant (outside of the RRV) to National Advertisers until NCAA Hockey becomes very relevant.

Please ponder the following:

Do the large, national advertisers want to be sponsoring a broadcast of a university with a "controvertial" moniker?

Most national ad agencies (who do the ad booking) are milquetoast and will run away at even the slightest sniff of "controversy".

Please ponder the following:

Do the large, national advertisers want to be sponsoring a broadcast of a university with a "controvertial" moniker?

Most national ad agencies (who do the ad booking) are milquetoast and will run away at even the slightest sniff of "controversy".

Not a big BB fan but watched parts of the Sioux-Jayhawk game on ESPNU on Saturday.

Didn't see or hear of any protesters during the game against the Sioux name.

The KU announcers didn't shy away from using Sioux name during their broadcast.

I even think there were real commercials on TV.

Saw plenty of Sioux fans in the crowd proudly displaying the Logo.

Maybe someone didn't let KU know about the Sioux being hostile & abusive because the game wasn't cancelled.

• Upvote 2

UND does not have the national exposure that National Advertisers want. That and NCAA Hockey is not as big as Football, Basketball and sometimes Baseball. UND is still a small time player in a big pond of Network Television, I am sorry to burst your bubble but UND hockey will not be very relevant (outside of the RRV) to National Advertisers until NCAA Hockey becomes very relevant.

Ok, I will buy that, but please, do not subject me to ads that could be produced by the local high school. I am so tired of seeing the same car from Dahlberg drive across a snowy road in the middle of nowhere. What about local fanchisers of national chains, i.e. Subway, Red Lobster, Applebee's etc. I do not know how many of these are in the GF area, but between no HD and ads that are strictly amateurish it is hard to watch in real time. I now just watch the UND highlites on my DVR in between watching HD sports on other channels.

If UND/NCHC does not provide HD they will lose viewers. I am getting so tired of watching FSSN in std def, I only watch about half of any game any more. I can switch to FSN or Big 10 channel on Directv and get HD hockey, FB, BB etc. and the difference is like night and day. Nice to be able to watch, but after making the investment in HD TV's I expect to see HD sports coverage, when I do not, I watch it in spurts or record it and watch the highlites. In addition the advertising on FSSN is terrible.

Ok, I will buy that, but please, do not subject me to ads that could be produced by the local high school. I am so tired of seeing the same car from Dahlberg drive across a snowy road in the middle of nowhere. What about local fanchisers of national chains, i.e. Subway, Red Lobster, Applebee's etc. I do not know how many of these are in the GF area, but between no HD and ads that are strictly amateurish it is hard to watch in real time. I now just watch the UND highlites on my DVR in between watching HD sports on other channels.

You have repeated the exact same argument 3 times. It is called Dahlstrom Motors and if you can't stand watching the games in standard definition or the local commercials as you have stated over and over and over again, why don't you just watch something else. Nobody is forcing you to watch the games.

What's the big deal with Dahlstrom Motors, I bought a car from them in the late 2000's they are an awesome place to do business with. The fact remains, We should be happy that we have UND hockey on the television one of my friends watches hockey in the Rio Grand Valley and he is thank ful for it.

What's the big deal with Dahlstrom Motors, I bought a car from them in the late 2000's they are an awesome place to do business with. The fact remains, We should be happy that we have UND hockey on the television one of my friends watches hockey in the Rio Grand Valley and he is thank ful for it.

Some people don't realize how lucky they are that they can even watch the games.

I would have given my left *** to be able to watch home games in the early 00's when my favorite player was at UND.

I know things improve & planes have jet engines now.

I felt lucky that the Omaha Lancers was one of the first teams to broadcast games on the web.

You had to be one of the first hundred or so to log on or you were out of luck because of limited band width available.

If you lost your dial up connection during the game you were SOL & probably couldn't get back on.

I think it's pretty cool to see games from around the country & local commercials.

The local advertisers are making it possible to get the games on TV & in between those commercials you get to watch the Sioux.