SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Shaft is ridiculous if he believes Notre Dame's decision to go HE had anything to do with the Sioux logo. I love the logo and can't stand the thought of being called something else, but I also love UND and I hate how much attention this issue is bringing to the institution. I can't go to a (professional) conference without the logo being referenced by colleagues from other universities. It doesn't matter what the schools id doing or what breakthroughs in research have been made, the logo issue always overshadows the accomplishments of the university. Sometimes I wish I was just a fan of the sports teams at UND and had no real affiliation with the school, it would be so easy for me to not care how this issue effects the institution on an academic level and I could say things like "fie Kelley and Faision" and "they won't see a dime from me if they change the logo". I believe that the legislature will repeal the law and UND will retire our proud nickname, it will be a sad time in our schools history, but truth be told I look forward to the closure it will bring. I'm sure the majority of you who'll read this will strongly disagree with my sentiments and question my loyalty, but it will be nice to finally talk about something else.

Nope. I think you're right. It's too dam bad, but UND needs to move on.

Besides, we can beat the gophers with any nickname.

Oh, Grant Shaft, you were doing just fine regurgitating all of those bullet points that you and others came up with, and then you went "off script" and delivered that statement.  True or not, not a wise choice to bring that up as it is speculation and will be labeled as anti-nicknamer propaganda by some.

Exactly.

Just imagine, schools like Miami (formerly Redskins, has small fan base that still insists on that name - to the horror of its administration), Denver (banned Daniel Boone as its mascot because it is sexist), Duluth (President who absolutely hates the Sioux nickname) joined a conference with a team named Fighting Sioux.

Then, St Cloud St, that St Cloud St - the school with all the protests and all the hate, and the school whose president said it never ever would join the greedy NCHC - joins the NCHC - even with UND in it.   Fighting Sioux was never ever an issue in any press report.

Can't imagine a more stupendously stupid statement by Shaft.

• Upvote 3

Interesting topic on an intermission interview of the local BC broadcast of the Denver @ BC game.

Sideline eyecandy asks analyst if the addition of Notre Dame makes Hockey East the top conference in college hockey.

Dudes take was that it actually hurts some HE teams as Notre Dame will gain a huge recruiting advantage over the HE schools in the northeast, doesn't hurt BC or BU as they get pick of the Boston crop but the others in HE it hurts.

Also responds to a fan text about how a johnny come lately with no titles has so much clout in college hockey.....his response was on their great new building the perception of grandure and that a program doesn't need national titles to be a top tier team.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, Huntsville is Gonesville.

http://www.al.com/sp...vision_i_1.html

Sad to see an already small community lose one of its own.

The Huntsville/Decatur area of Alabama is not a small community. In fact it is much larger than the GF and Fargo areas combined and probably approaches the size of Madison, Wi. or Omaha, Ne. It has a very high average income level and has a broad range of industries and technical schools. The NCHA would have been wise to pick up UAH instead of WMU or SCSU for exposure in the South. UAH has a very good engineering program and is supported strongly by NASA, local facilities of Fortune 500 companies, and the local community. It has great recreational opportunities on the Tennessee River and is in close proximity to Atlanta, Birmingham and Nashville. Travel to Huntsville would have been no more difficult than getting to WMU or South Bend. The NCHA really missed the boat in not looking at UAH as a member and an attractive location to visit.

The Huntsville/Decatur area of Alabama is not a small community. In fact it is much larger than the GF and Fargo areas combined and probably approaches the size of Madison, Wi. or Omaha, Ne. It has a very high average income level and has a broad range of industries and technical schools. The NCHA would have been wise to pick up UAH instead of WMU or SCSU for exposure in the South. UAH has a very good engineering program and is supported strongly by NASA, local facilities of Fortune 500 companies, and the local community. It has great recreational opportunities on the Tennessee River and is in close proximity to Atlanta, Birmingham and Nashville. Travel to Huntsville would have been no more difficult than getting to WMU or South Bend. The NCHA really missed the boat in not looking at UAH as a member and an attractive location to visit.

The intent of that post was that college hockey is a small community, not Huntsville.

Perhaps if the Huntsville community and newspaper really rally around, UAH hockey can be saved. There are reports that the WCHA would be open to UAH's membership, but that that the UAT chancellor wouldn't even listen to any proposal. It was really dirty pool that a UA-Tuscaloosa chancellor pulled the plug on hockey the week before the new chancellor will be installed.

When UAH chose it's new AD from West Alabama rather than UND, that really indicated that UAH's leadership (from UAT) wanted nothing to do with hockey. They probably start football in the decimated DII Gulf South Conference.

Shaft is ridiculous if he believes Notre Dame's decision to go HE had anything to do with the Sioux logo. I love the logo and can't stand the thought of being called something else, but I also love UND and I hate how much attention this issue is bringing to the institution. I can't go to a (professional) conference without the logo being referenced by colleagues from other universities. It doesn't matter what the schools id doing or what breakthroughs in research have been made, the logo issue always overshadows the accomplishments of the university. Sometimes I wish I was just a fan of the sports teams at UND and had no real affiliation with the school, it would be so easy for me to not care how this issue effects the institution on an academic level and I could say things like "fie Kelley and Faision" and "they won't see a dime from me if they change the logo". I believe that the legislature will repeal the law and UND will retire our proud nickname, it will be a sad time in our schools history, but truth be told I look forward to the closure it will bring. I'm sure the majority of you who'll read this will strongly disagree with my sentiments and question my loyalty, but it will be nice to finally talk about something else.

It *may* not have anything to do with the logo that you and I normally associate with the current uniform and Sioux hockey team. It *may* be an issue over the "N over D" logo common to both North Dakota and Notre Dame schools. These two are very similar, if not identical (except color) and I could actually see Notre Dame taking issue with this. A skilled attorney such as Mr. Shaft may take such an issue, refer to it as a "logo issue", and use that to help accomplish another mission entirely; doing away with the nickname/logo that is in such heated debate.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

The intent of that post was that college hockey is a small community, not Huntsville.

Perhaps if the Huntsville community and newspaper really rally around, UAH hockey can be saved. There are reports that the WCHA would be open to UAH's membership, but that that the UAT chancellor wouldn't even listen to any proposal. It was really dirty pool that a UA-Tuscaloosa chancellor pulled the plug on hockey the week before the new chancellor will be installed.

When UAH chose it's new AD from West Alabama rather than UND, that really indicated that UAH's leadership (from UAT) wanted nothing to do with hockey. They probably start football in the decimated DII Gulf South Conference.

Too bad for the University of Alabama Huntsville that they're not the University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, they wouldn't have had trouble finding a willing and able conference then.

I'm glad to hear that the UND/Wis battles will continue after new conference play starts. But honestly, is anybody really surprised? Wisconsin needs UND to fill their stadium as much as we need them to fill ours. The world of college hockey is a small planet and it continues to get smaller as UAH drops out of the D1 race. North Dakota is and always will be a relevant team in NCAA hockey and teams will be lining up around the block for the opportunity to put us on their schedule.

Per Brad: http://undhockey.are...es.com/?p=88820

Looks like Wisconsin and UND are trying to work something out for the long term.

Although I do enjoy the rivalry, I would have preferred to delay the scheduling a few years, just to spite Wisco AD Barry Alvarez. He was the driving force behind the BTHC, which created all the conference chaos.

It would have been nice to see him scramble to fill the Kohl center for a few years without UND, Denver and UMD coming to town.

Barry did not want to “lower” his standards and have his Badgers playing schools like Bemidji State and Makato State on a regular basis.

… and no, it was not TV that drove the BTHC – if the BT Network wants more hockey, there is nothing stopping them now from scheduling 1-2 games a week on their network – they now have the right of first refusal for all Gopher games – the rest go to FSNorth.

We would be able to play a strong national schedule, like we always do, and avoid the Big 10 schools for a few years, just for a little payback.

So, Huntsville is Gonesville.

http://www.al.com/sp...vision_i_1.html

Sad to see an already small community lose one of its own.

Maybe it is too early to talk or think about, but I wonder if any of the sophomores or juinors on UAH would be of value to the Sioux. IF, there is some talent there it would be nice to <u>legally</u> convince&nbsp;them to transfer now. We would have them for most all of next season which could really help us. By the looks of what will be left of our now junior class (Knight and Kristo will likely be gone) and our sophomore class we could use some strong leadership, experience, and not to mention scoring, to join the team next year.&nbsp;</p>

Maybe it is too early to talk or think about, but I wonder if any of the sophomores or juinors on UAH would be of value to the Sioux. IF, there is some talent there it would be nice to <u>legally</u> convince&nbsp;them to transfer now. We would have them for most all of next season which could really help us. By the looks of what will be left of our now junior class (Knight and Kristo will likely be gone) and our sophomore class we could use some strong leadership, experience, and not to mention scoring, to join the team next year.&nbsp;</p>

As far as I know, if a player transfers schools because their program ended, they don't have to wait out a year. So any UAH player will be able to finish the season with the Chargers, then drop right into any other school that wants them next season without having to sit out a year.

As far as I know, if a player transfers schools because their program ended, they don't have to wait out a year. So any UAH player will be able to finish the season with the Chargers, then drop right into any other school that wants them next season without having to sit out a year.

This is correct.