SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

NCAA approves $2000 stipend for athlete's living costs as well as multi-year scholarship guarantees:

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2011/10/28/ncaa_approves_major_scholarship_changes_at_meeting/?page=3

Would expect the NCHC to allow the stipend. The NCAA rules require each conference to allow the stipend before their members can issue the stipends. The Big Ten will immediately authorize the stipend.

Would this stipend impact recruiting vs Major Juniors?

NCAA approves $2000 stipend for athlete's living costs as well as multi-year scholarship guarantees:

http://www.boston.co...meeting/?page=3

Would expect the NCHC to allow the stipend. The NCAA rules require each conference to allow the stipend before their members can issue the stipends. The Big Ten will immediately authorize the stipend.

Would this stipend impact recruiting vs Major Juniors?

Would all of the free lunches and other perks that these kids get count against the stipend? Or do they get the $2Quid on top of all of the other gravy that comes with being a D-1 athlete in a premier sport? I doubt that the NCHC will follow suit. Hockey is expensive enough already. Fat television contracts are non-existent. The "stipend" is for the so-called Big Show Sports. Thankfully, hockey is not one of them.

My daily three cents.

Would all of the free lunches and other perks that these kids get count against the stipend? Or do they get the $2Quid on top of all of the other gravy that comes with being a D-1 athlete in a premier sport? I doubt that the NCHC will follow suit. Hockey is expensive enough already. Fat television contracts are non-existent. The "stipend" is for the so-called Big Show Sports. Thankfully, hockey is not one of them.

My daily three cents.

The other benefits don't count. Each athlete on a full scholarship would get handed a check for $2000 each year, if the conference allows it and the school implements the policy, no questions asked.

For the NCHC schools, the cost is 18 scholarships x $2000 x 2 (for gender equity) = $72,000 / year.

If the NCHC really expects to compete, they will need to pay up, just to keep up with what the Big Ten will be doing.

• Upvote 1

The other benefits don't count. Each athlete on a full scholarship would get handed a check for $2000 each year, if the conference allows it and the school implements the policy, no questions asked.

For the NCHC schools, the cost is 18 scholarships x $2000 x 2 (for gender equity) = $72,000 / year.

If the NCHC really expects to compete, they will need to pay up, just to keep up with what the Big Ten will be doing.

UND could definitely afford to pay for the players, but schools like St. Cloud will be hard pressed to find that kind of money.

The NCHC could permit the stipend, and if your school can't afford to pay out your allotted stipend money, tough luck. It's not a requirement for your institution to pay the stipend if your conference allows it.

Heck, I hope UND is the only school in the country that can afford to pay their hockey players.

With all that said, I'm sure this is something that will get added onto student's tuition at nearly every university. Using the $72,000 figure above, if you add $7 to every student's tuition fees (which would cover an entire year, so $3.50/semester), not one kid would likely notice. Now, if you did this for 5 sports (and triple the amount for football), you're basically adding roughly $50 ($25/semester) to each tuition.

Is that ethical? Debatable. But, with how the university wastes money in so many other ways, what's $50 a year to keep the status quo?

I don't see this being a huge problem anywhere really.

UND could definitely afford to pay for the players, but schools like St. Cloud will be hard pressed to find that kind of money.

Don't kid yourself. The Sioux hockey program is not rolling in the dough, and the overall athletic department budget is hurting not unlike at most schools.

This "stipend" b.s. is for the major sports at the major colleges.

The NCHC is not going to allow this. Nor do I believe that the Pig Ten will do so, at least for its hockey programs.

Don't kid yourself. The Sioux hockey program is not rolling in the dough, and the overall athletic department budget is hurting not unlike at most schools.

The NCHC is not going to allow this. Nor do I believe that the Pig Ten will do so, at least for its hockey programs.

If the NCHC doesn't allow this, we should have stayed in the WCHA. WCHA, ECAC, and maybe HE schools probably won't approve this, but there is no question that the Big Ten will.

Denver, UND, and Miami will vote yes. Maybe WMU, UMD, UNO, and CC, too. By the NCHC allowing the stipend, it doesn't mean that schools actually have to pay it.

If the NCHC doesn't allow this, we should have stayed in the WCHA. WCHA, ECAC, and maybe HE schools probably won't approve this, but there is no question that the Big Ten will. Denver, UND, and Miami will vote yes. Maybe WMU, UMD, UNO, and CC, too. By the NCHC allowing the stipend, it doesn't mean that schools actually have to pay it.

I agree I don't see any reason why the NCHC wouldn't allow them to play the additional 2,000.00...

If the NCHC approves it and we pay the kids 2 grand to play here

then what womens sport can we paythem 2 grand to play?

doesnt it have to be equl

The Big Sky or the Women's WCHA would have to approve, too, not just the NCHC. Since the NCHC doesn't start for two years, the current WCHA would have to approve for next year.

Doing this for all athletes (even partial scholarships, i.e. an athlete receiving 1/4 scholarship would get $500) would cost UND $360,000 or so. There would be benefits for all sports if UND could pull this off.

36 x $2000.00 is what 72,000.00 I think UND can scrape together that much money.

If this poppycock does happen, and I continue to say that this simply will not happen all across the hockey landscape, get ready for a BIG bump in the price of your tickets my friends.

The money does not grow on trees, and it will have to come from somewhere. Our wallets will be the best, and easiest, place to find new money.

NCHC schools would have to come up with a total of $576,000 to cover both men and women's hockey (even though the NCHC doesn't sponsor women's hockey). That could be covered from potential television contracts or league dues. It's honestly not that big of a deal and it could entice more players to go the NCAA route.

Are you kidding me, the men's hockey team bank rolls the majority of the athletic budget at UND. The least these guys deserve is an additional stipend for all the hard work they put in to give us something to be proud of.

Are you kidding me, the men's hockey team bank rolls the majority of the athletic budget at UND. The least these guys deserve is an additional stipend for all the hard work they put in to give us something to be proud of.

Yes it does. No question about that. Even if this went through, most players are not on the full scholarship. $500 to $1000 or so would be the more likely stipend. They get plenty of perks around town at local restaurants and, for those kids over 21, bars as well. Their lives will not change dramatically if they get the stipend. It will set a bad precedent. Last I checked, $576K is a ton of money and any money that might come from television contracts and dues will have much greater need elsewhere. Like better skilled officials perhaps?

Yes it does. No question about that. Even if this went through, most players are not on the full scholarship. $500 to $1000 or so would be the more likely stipend. They get plenty of perks around town at local restaurants and, for those kids over 21, bars as well. Their lives will not change dramatically if they get the stipend. It will set a bad precedent. Last I checked, $576K is a ton of money and any money that might come from television contracts and dues will have much greater need elsewhere. Like better skilled officials perhaps?

That's a serious accusation, I have never heard of hockey players receiving any type perks around town. I see them all the time at restaurants and stores and they wait in line and pay their tabs like any one else. I will say they 're usually in the company of very attractive young ladies, but I'm sure the NCAA doesn't have a policy against procreation yet.

That's a serious accusation, I have never heard of hockey players receiving any type perks around town. I see them all the time at restaurants and stores and they wait in line and pay their tabs like any one else. I will say they 're usually in the company of very attractive young ladies, but I'm sure the NCAA doesn't have a policy against procreation yet.

don't bring it up or they soon will

A dirty little secret of many NCAA institutions is that women athletes must terminate a pregnancy if the female athlete wants to retain an athletic scholarship. So in effect, there are informal policies against procreation - at least for women athletes.

If a school does this you would think they have to consider doing it for all the sports that it has. If that is the case, not sure if it is, UND will not even come a quarter of the way to what they need. The only schools that would be able to are the B1G schools in hockey, and that is just because they are overall, by far the most profitable conference in college athletics. I saw a story the other day that said if this does come to be a truth only 40 of the 67 I think? BCS schools would be able to afford doing it. I would have to assume if not all the BCS schools could afford it, that a school like UND will have no chance to. Minnesota is one that can barely afford it and will be doing it and that is just because they are a top 20 school in popularity in the country in athletics and because they are a top 25 school in merchandise sales in the country. UND isn't in the top 150 for either of those which leads one to believe that they have no chance at doing this. If they do they're going to have to get A LOT of private funds from alumni and such.

Edit: Sorry, it has become a truth

Oh come on IrishSiouxFan, you don't think the hockey players at UND get illegal benefits? It happens at EVERY school, Minnesota included. I'm very good friends with a teacher at UND who played football at Wyoming and he said he saw football and basketball players at the U of Wyoming receiving tens of thousands of dollars in benefits. I would be willing to bet my yearly earnings that there are boosters at UND giving hockey players money, gifts and other benefits.

Edit: Just figured I'd prove my point on how I know it's still happening at Minnesota. Oregon star running back and, before he got injured, Heisman candidate Lamicheal James had Minnesota as one of his final 3 choices for football.