SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Anyone else see Dave St Peter's tweet about 15 minutes ago.  Said, Go Twins, Go Green??  Is this a leading consideration or is he talking non UND name?

He was probably referring to a Pioneer Press story about Target Field switching from plastic cups, plates and utensils to ones that can be composted.  As in Target Field going green.

And how exactly does having a nickname change any of the bolded?  Somehow preventing the Athletic Department from having another arrow in their quiver for marketing and brand identification/awareness is a good idea?  And to your comment about thousands

There is zero chance that picking no nickname will energize more donors.  If people weren't donating when UND had the Fighting Sioux logo/nickname, having no nickname isn't going to magically inspire them to start donating money. 

And from a public relations standpoint, it would be a disaster.  A press conference that is a big middle finger to the NCAA?  I'm sure they won't mind, at least until they need a distraction from some sort of scandal at a P5 school.

The delivery of the message is entirely different, announcing a new nickname sounds a lot more like this:

North Dakota is the name of our university and unfortunately that is not a big enough brand to stand on its own.  We already have a logo (interlocking) that we have used for the better part of a century, but what did that get us?  If we call ourselves the Pride, Spirit, Big Green, Nodaks or Force we'll finally be able to shed our history, get a fancy new corporate logo and fit in.  But don't worry it will be obscure (i mean unique) enough that we'll be the only ones with that name.

There are a lot of eyeballs on this story from a lot of angles. Your question speaks to my point, if the alumni aren't going to stop contributing and the university will stay on the growth trend it already is on despite not having a nickname why add a nickname for the sake of adding a nickname?

The university had revenues of 500 million or so last year, to put the amount of effort into changing the name for $300,000 of incremental revenue (less than 1% of total revenues) and run the risk of rubbing even one big donor the wrong way makes no sense.

From a public relations standpoint, Kelley could schedule a press conference and have a huge win and potentially energize more donors by saying. We heard you loud and clear, over thousands of our constituents want us to remain North Dakota, we are the flagship university in this state, "We are North Dakota".

They got rid of the most beloved name in the history of the world and donations INCREASED.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The delivery of the message is entirely different, announcing a new nickname sounds a lot more like this:

North Dakota is the name of our university and unfortunately that is not a big enough brand to stand on its own.  We already have a logo (interlocking) that we have used for the better part of a century, but what did that get us?  If we call ourselves the Pride, Spirit, Big Green, Nodaks or Force we'll finally be able to shed our history, get a fancy new corporate logo and fit in.  But don't worry it will be obscure (i mean unique) enough that we'll be the only ones with that name.

Its such a great idea, I can't believe no other university has thought of something like this and pursued it!

The "shed our history" thing is a complete farce.  UND has changed its nickname before and its logo multiple times.  I don't seem to see anywhere history that was disregarded upon doing so.  

UND has used the interlocking ND in conjunction with many other logos and will continue to do so in the future.  However it'd be nice to have another alternative mark that isn't confused with Notre Dame's.

Found a glimpse into the future of the great branding opportunities we'll be looking at in 2035 by changing our name now:

http://www.gomarquette.com/

http://gostanford.com/

Marquette even went as far as to type the new nickname in the upper right hand corner of their website, that's brand recognition!  Also those super important domain names, it looks like Marquette and Stanford found it made more sense to market the names of their universities since they are inherently unique, not their generic force fed nicknames.

Marquette. Stanford. Bump-bump. Two syllables. 

Go Marquette.

Go Stanford.

One. Two. Three. 

Three syllables. 

Those flow. 

Go North Dakota. 

Not so much. Almost a tongue-twister, and very little flow. 

Remember: Branding and marketing are about catchy, easy (to say and use), memorable slogans. 

Ready:

Like a good neighbor ... 

Eat fresh.

Just do it.

I'm loving it. 

You know you flashed on State Farm, Subway, Nike, and McDonald's.

That's why rebranding is important.

If not, every "North Dakota" stereotype applies to just "North Dakota". 

About your examples, I'd stay away from Marquette completely. They demonstrated how to completely screw up rebranding. (See: Marquette Gold)

Stanford. The Cardinal. With a tree logo. I'm not a fan; it's bland at best when looked at, but they're able to market it. 

Marquette. Stanford. Bump-bump. Two syllables. 

Go Marquette.

Go Stanford.

One. Two. Three. 

Three syllables. 

Those flow. 

Go North Dakota. 

Not so much. Almost a tongue-twister, and very little flow. 

Remember: Branding and marketing are about catchy, easy (to say and use), memorable slogans. 

Ready:

Like a good neighbor ... 

Eat fresh.

Just do it.

I'm loving it. 

You know you flashed on State Farm, Subway, Nike, and McDonald's.

That's why rebranding is important.

If not, every "North Dakota" stereotype applies to just "North Dakota". 

About your examples, I'd stay away from Marquette completely. They demonstrated how to completely screw up rebranding. (See: Marquette Gold)

Stanford. The Cardinal. With a tree logo. I'm not a fan; it's bland at best when looked at, but they're able to market it. 

Unfortunately we are a lot closer to going down the Marquette road....

There are a lot of eyeballs on this story from a lot of angles. Your question speaks to my point, if the alumni aren't going to stop contributing and the university will stay on the growth trend it already is on despite not having a nickname why add a nickname for the sake of adding a nickname?

The university had revenues of 500 million or so last year, to put the amount of effort into changing the name for $300,000 of incremental revenue (less than 1% of total revenues) and run the risk of rubbing even one big donor the wrong way makes no sense.

From a public relations standpoint, Kelley could schedule a press conference and have a huge win and potentially energize more donors by saying. We heard you loud and clear, over thousands of our constituents want us to remain North Dakota, we are the flagship university in this state, "We are North Dakota".

There are many of us that agree with this post. Not so much with the behind the scenes power of the gobc, but us other minions are out there in numbers. Good post!

We are and so for the sake of having a nickname we should be prepared and comfortable with the notion of the UND Big Green as a real possibility.

Can't wait!

We are and so for the sake of having a nickname we should be prepared and comfortable with the notion of the UND Big Green as a real possibility.

Can't wait!

Call them "UND" then. Like fans have done for 100+ years and will continue to do. People are really over thinking this.

I cannot disagree with that statement, but I hold out a sliver of hope. 

That's given to me by the Arkansas State Indians Red Wolves. 

Pride is starting to grow on me. However I still think I'm in the no new nickname grouping.

Pride? How many milliseconds before we're referred to as Gay pride by opponents? (Not that there's anything wrong with that - My father's gay.) -Seinfeld.

Please stay with us in the no new nickname crowd, we're glad you're with us!

• Upvote 1

Call them "UND" then. Like fans have done for 100+ years and will continue to do. People are really over thinking this.

I'll put you in the bucket "I like Big Green".

Yay you!

And how exactly does having a nickname change any of the bolded?  Somehow preventing the Athletic Department from having another arrow in their quiver for marketing and brand identification/awareness is a good idea?  And to your comment about thousands

There is zero chance that picking no nickname will energize more donors.  If people weren't donating when UND had the Fighting Sioux logo/nickname, having no nickname isn't going to magically inspire them to start donating money. 

And from a public relations standpoint, it would be a disaster.  A press conference that is a big middle finger to the NCAA?  I'm sure they won't mind, at least until they need a distraction from some sort of scandal at a P5 school.

Actually your "zero chance" is not correct.  I have limited my donations to a specific area based on the administrations handling of this issue, as many friends of mine have done as well.  The majority of people want it to remain North Dakota, and unless a true majority votes for a nickname/logo that would beat out remaining North Dakota head to head, I would continue to adjust my donations accordingly.  In discussions with friends of mine they feel the same way.  It was easy to contact the previous admins regarding any issue, but this administration is horrible.

Also, staying North Dakota does not give a middle finger to the NCAA as there have been some scare tactic folks on this forum that have brought that up.  The NCAA only cared that the Fighting Sioux name not be used anymore. 

As far as the dollars from a new logo/nickname, that is still up in the air and any predictions regarding that are just opinions.  UND must make money off of the Fighting Sioux logos (geometric, Brien, etc.) to maintain copyrights for those.  The Dakotah Legacy area is that opportunity, and that will also be a money maker that folks have not considered.

• Upvote 1

Actually your "zero chance" is not correct.  I have limited my donations to a specific area based on the administrations handling of this issue, as many friends of mine have done as well.  The majority of people want it to remain North Dakota, and unless a true majority votes for a nickname/logo that would beat out remaining North Dakota head to head, I would continue to adjust my donations accordingly.  In discussions with friends of mine they feel the same way.  It was easy to contact the previous admins regarding any issue, but this administration is horrible.

Also, staying North Dakota does not give a middle finger to the NCAA as there have been some scare tactic folks on this forum that have brought that up.  The NCAA only cared that the Fighting Sioux name not be used anymore. 

As far as the dollars from a new logo/nickname, that is still up in the air and any predictions regarding that are just opinions.  UND must make money off of the Fighting Sioux logos (geometric, Brien, etc.) to maintain copyrights for those.  The Dakotah Legacy area is that opportunity, and that will also be a money maker that folks have not considered.

Couldn't agree more, to further the middle finger analogy it is the thousands of people (potential donors if not already) pushing for no nickname who the administration would be giving the middle finger too by not even having no nickname up for consideration.

There is also a group of alumni who aren't quite ready to donate yet who are being alienated in this, when their financial means improve down the road they may not be inclined to donate based off this issue.  Not saying that line of thinking should be encouraged, however it is a definite possibility.

Of the remaining names left, Cavalry has the most appeal to me. And I think the potential for logos and marketing for the name is tremendous.

North Dakota Cavalry. Has a nice ring to it.

I agree. But like Rough riders more, and I used to hate the RRHS Riders when I was at Central. Their logo is and was timeless. But they were red, we will be green.

Most midwestern flagships have a state nickname as their nickname. ND nicknames are:

the Sioux State - xx

Flickertail State - xx

Peace Garden State - xx

Roughrider State - only state nickname left that can serve as a mascot

Cornhusker, Gopher, Hawkeye, Badger, Buckeye, Wolverine, Hoosier, Jayhawk, Sooner, Longhorn, Razorback, Volunteer, Mountaineer are all official state nicknames and the flagship U's mascot. It really isn't that difficult.

Have a Cavalry band or as some other student or booster support organization with military ranks as levels of donors.

• Upvote 4

... staying North Dakota ... 

The University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, was founded in 1883. 

It was the University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, through "Nodaks", "Flickertails", and "Fighting Sioux". 

It was the University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, in 2005 when the NCAA edict first arrived.

It was in 2012 when the settlement happened.

It is the University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, today. 

And it will still be tomorrow. 

I don't understand the " ... staying North Dakota ... " statements.

We are staying North Dakota no matter what. 

Or have some folks misunderstand that all along and thought the institution was "The Fighting Sioux" and the University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, was the nickname. 

Do you honestly think supporting alumni will be alienated and stop support because of a "tolerable name"?  I think all of this verbal diarrhea is a waste of time.  A new nickname is coming, and it wont be just 'North Dakota'. 

If you want verbal diarrhea, try reading this out loud.  http://www.grandforksherald.com/sites/default/files/Nicknames-full%20list.pdf

... I used to hate the RRHS Riders when I was at Central. ... 

Most midwestern flagships have a state nickname as their nickname. 

The first sentence: That's a significant portion of the "anti-Rider" crowd. It's not that it's a HS in GF; it's that it's the other HS in GF to many. 

The second sentence: Stop making sense. ;):D 

I stand by my statement, particularly because how donations have continued to increase despite all of this.  People may claim to use it as an excuse but picking no nickname will not be a tipping point.  If your do have some truth to it on the flip side is that there are also people who didn't agree with the Fighting Sioux nickname and didn't donate because of that.  I don't know a single person who has adjusted their donation because of the nickname issue.  I give my personal donation to help student athletes, I'm not going to punish them for something they have no control over.

The source of where the "majority" or these "thousands" of people who want to keep it North Dakota comes from continues to elude me (an earlier post, not yours).  Regardless, North Dakota is not a nickname.  It is the name of the school and it will still be that when UND decides on a new nickname in the near future.  For those that don't like it, no one will stop them from wearing whatever they want, including the interlocking ND or Fighting Sioux gear.  What they won't be able to do is use "Fighting Sioux" as the de facto nickname because there will be a new one put in place.  It may (and likely) will not be popular immediately but people will soon realize that the nickname didn't make the school or student athletes.

There is no official statement from the NCAA on what they would or wouldn't do if UND choose no nickname.  All that is on record is that they have and will continue to change their mind with no notice and hand out punishments that they see fit, despite the fact that they are not doled out fairly or consistently. With UND's past history with them, I have a hard time ruling out anything the NCAA can and will do.

As for the Dacotah Legacy collection, the last (and only run to date) was something like 100 shirts.  They will continue to do it in a very, very limited fashion to keep the trademark.  I wish they would do mass releases, but they won't.

The University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, was founded in 1883.

It was the University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, through "Nodaks", "Flickertails", and "Fighting Sioux".

It was the University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, in 2005 when the NCAA edict first arrived.

It was in 2012 when the settlement happened.

It is the University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, today.

And it will still be tomorrow.

I don't understand the " ... staying North Dakota ... " statements.

We are staying North Dakota no matter what.

Or have some folks misunderstand that all along and thought the institution was "The Fighting Sioux" and the University of North Dakota, aka North Dakota or UND, was the nickname.

"Stay North Dakota", in the context of this discussion, always refers to staying with no nickname as we have been since ours was officially removed. It really isn't that difficult of a concept

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"Stay North Dakota", in the context of this discussion, always refers to staying with no nickname as we have been since ours was officially removed. It really isn't that difficult of a concept

Except this time it would be by choice instead of force.  UND was prohibited by law from replacing Fighting Sioux when it was retired, they no longer have that restriction in place.  There is a material difference in the two.

Pride is starting to grow on me.  However I still think I'm in the no new nickname grouping.

This was one I liked originally - there are a couple of schools that use it but not too many - they could use a lion's roar as a sound effect after a touchdown or goal (as in a pride of lions), but it also fits well with our military and strong Scandinavian pride.