SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Regarding Schlossman's piece.....didn't Wayne Nelson, Tom Miller and Schlossman all come out with a piece on the same day, with different angles?   Struck me as a "let's do pieces about the different view points out there....who wants to take XYZ?"

I can almost see them playing rochambeau to decide who does what. :D 

Sorry GeauxSioux, "Arrows" are considered "Native American Imagery."

Then NDSU better go back to Farmers as the Bison is a sacred animal to NA's. This is such crap, so is an arrow NA imagery on a one way sign? Or on a compass?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'll take flickertails over being referred to as a color or some sort of weather pattern. With flickertails, I think they could actually come up with a pretty cool logo.

Has it really come down to this. We are deciding if we like bad or worse better?

Last night I had to slap myself after justifying "The Force" as not a "bad name".

• Upvote 1

Has it really come down to this. We are deciding if we like bad or worse better?

Last night I had to slap myself after justifying "The Force" as not a "bad name".

Now the people of Fargo, not to mention FU faithful are going to say the Fargo Force had that name first and we are just copying them.

They were appointed, not elected and their job is to what is best for the school.  If they determine not to choose a nickname, so be it but claiming "will of the people" thing is a little far-fetched.

I said has acted like. It's a public university, paid by for by the people of North Dakota. To say the "will of the people" is not far fetched at all. Then why ask the public for input? Furthermore, we will be putting the final decision into the hands of leader who has shown about as much back-bone as gopher hockey player.

So it's not "the University of North Dakota Force," but actually "the University of North Dakota The Force" instead?

I think I just shipped my pants. Dumbest. Nickname. Selection. Ever.

• Upvote 2

So it's not "the University of North Dakota Force," but actually "the University of North Dakota The Force" instead?

The Force of the North. So how about them Flickertails.

What the heck is a Green Hawk?  A school (with red as a school color) going to Red Hawks makes some sense.  Red-tailed hawks are an actual thing.  I'm not aware of any green hawks flying the prairie.

It never even occurred to me to suggest "Green Ermines".  

I pondered that nickname against "The University of North Dakota Mass Times Acceleration", but decided that they were about equal.

What they figured out is that can continue to yell Fighting Sioux because there will be nothing to compete with it. Read the comments on any article or even the suggestion list.

Oh no, what would we do? Just tragic...
  • Upvote 1

Personally hate the name Force. I'm all for University of North Dakota, NoDaks, Nokota. I would just rather see Flickertails than , the cyclones, blizzard, force, big green, spirit, etc.

• Upvote 2

Here is the entire list of names that made the cut so far, with the number of votes

Aeronauts, 1

Aeros, 1

Arctic Blaze, 2

Arctic Force, 1

Aurora, 2

Aviators, 1

Badlanders, 1

Big Green, 4

Bison Slayers, 1

Blackhawks, 3

Blaze, 1

Blazing Stars, 1