SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

This stings... Ryan Gropp has signed with the Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL

http://www.seattleth...p-joins-t-birds

Better to have it happen now than next summer, I guess

Another one of those "what the hell happened" situations....

Did he not like the fact he was still playing in Penticton? I just don't get it with some of these kids. They fluff up about committing to so and so college to only de-commit and sing a different tune. Alternatively, I wonder if Seattle kept hounding the kid and finally made an offer that he couldn't refuse.

Next years class is still packed with high caliber recruits, I wonder if that was used against him? If he goes to Seattle, he'll most likely be a top line guy with the Thunderbirds' other top prospect(Barzal?).

ā€œI am really excited to be joining the T-Birds,ā€ said Gropp. ā€œI have been having this feeling of joining the T-Birds for a while and it is better to make this decision sooner rather than later. The team is off to a good start and it is good to come and be a part of that. I am looking forward to getting started and joining the team.ā€

:silly:

Another one of those "what the hell happened" situations....

Did he not like the fact he was still playing in Penticton? I just don't get it with some of these kids. They fluff up about committing to so and so college to only de-commit and sing a different tune. Alternatively, I wonder if Seattle kept hounding the kid and finally made an offer that he couldn't refuse.

Next years class is still packed with high caliber recruits, I wonder if that was used against him? If he goes to Seattle, he'll most likely be a top line guy with the Thunderbirds' other top prospect(Barzal?).

:silly:

According to a press release by the Penticton Vees, it sounds like Gropp wasn't happy with his production this year.

http://www.pentictonvees.ca/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientid=3172&leagueid=0&page=74016

Reminder to self: Do not follow committed recruits. Just look on the roster around Sept 1 to see the players. Rinse and repeat.

Sounds about right. Does UND try and get another for next year or as noted they have plenty coming in

I might be reading this differently. I almost wonder if the "start" being mentioned in the Penticton press release was more about not being off to a good start with regard to accelerating his studies to be able to enter college next year as opposed to anything on the ice. 10 games is not a lot of time to judge anything. Even really good players can start a season off slower than expected before hitting their stride. Seems a little rash if this is is about early season production.

Reminder to self: Do not follow committed recruits. Just look on the roster around Sept 1 to see the players. Rinse and repeat.

Personally, that's why I don't worry about these kids until they get here. I would willing to bet that Evers is going to be shaky on coming here as well. I talked to a players agent that told me as much.

Does "College Hockey Inc." even exist anymore? Thought that group was supposed to work on changing the perception that is out there that Major Junior is the only way a kid can develop and make it to the NHL.

Looks like it does: http://collegehockeyinc.com/

I think a lot of their work is behind the scenes, but it wouldn't hurt for them to be more visible and more active in confronting the CHL and their sleazy tactics. :angry: