SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Kid struggling.....needs a change of scenery for himself....WHL.....

Minnesota just had the same thing happen with a Vanelli. Except his issue was academics.

The CHL is a way out. Unfortunately this Gropp kid couldn't just jump to Grand Forks when he needed a change.

Of all the recruits that could jump i'd put him at or near the bottom of the list. The weight room will really help Gersich

I'm with the others....nothing will surprise me anymore. From now on everyone one of the commits is fair game to leave; I'll worry about the players actually playing on the team from now on. This Gropp departure leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I actually respect the type of players the CHL produces but this is about enough.

Its about hockey and scouts- he is positioning to be a top 10 on central scouting going into next season (his draft year follows). This is all about maximizing exposure for the draft.

Toews was the #3 pick overall and you think this kid is going to be a top 10 pick? There aren't too many kids snapped up in the first 10 that struggle in the BCHL. :crazy:

I might be reading this differently. I almost wonder if the "start" being mentioned in the Penticton press release was more about not being off to a good start with regard to accelerating his studies to be able to enter college next year as opposed to anything on the ice. 10 games is not a lot of time to judge anything. Even really good players can start a season off slower than expected before hitting their stride. Seems a little rash if this is is about early season production.

The article quoted about him being a true freshman next year, which means he wouldn't be accelerating, so it's not academic related.

Of all the recruits that could jump i'd put him at or near the bottom of the list. The weight room will really help Gersich

Gersich (and Poganski) are at the bottom of my "likely to jump ship" ranking order for next year's recruits. They probably know very little about the WHL as it is, based on where they grew up. They have seemingly zero interest in anything but college hockey next year. (For those wondering, my ranking goes: 1- Schmaltz 2- Mantha 3- Wilkie 4- (tie) Poganski/Gersich.)

Gersich (and Poganski) are at the bottom of my "likely to jump ship" ranking order for next year's recruits. They probably know very little about the WHL as it is, based on where they grew up. They have seemingly zero interest in anything but college hockey next year. (For those wondering, my ranking goes: 1- Schmaltz 2- Mantha 3- Wilkie 4- (tie) Poganski/Gersich.)

If Jordan is still here I don't see how Nick wouldn't come in. so my 1 and 2 are swapped but I'm fairly confident that the last 3 you listed will arrive on campus(however much that means these days)

The article quoted about him being a true freshman next year, which means he wouldn't be accelerating, so it's not academic related.

The Canadian education system clouds this a bit. Im not sure how they determine at what age someone enters school.. he's 7 months younger than Poganski and 2 months younger than Gersich and Wilkie as a mid september birthday his falls at a weird time.

Sounds about right. Does UND try and get another for next year or as noted they have plenty coming in

That's an interesting question. The Sioux have many forwards lined up for future years with the possibility of Schmaltz, Wilkie, Gersich, Poganski, Olson, Rowe and Voltin for next year. It will be interesting to see who gets brought in. I think Schmaltz and Olson are the only guarantees at this point. I was wondering if this opens up the possibility of a guy like Tyler Sheehy? Not sure if there is interest either way just throwing it out there to see if anyone has any insight. I'm thinking it would be a long shot though.

Toews was the #3 pick overall and you think this kid is going to be a top 10 pick? There aren't too many kids snapped up in the first 10 that struggle in the BCHL. :crazy:

Exactly why he is moving to the dub. I also never said he was going to be a top 10 pick. I said he was positioning, which is exactly what he is doing. Agree about an average year in the BCHL not translating to a top 10- again, exactly why he is moving on.

Without major junior experience, and with a mediocre BCHL season, it would be unlikely that he would make the Canadian WJC team- which, as a college player, would pretty much kill his high first round chances...

Toews does not go #3 overall without his WJC performance.

• Upvote 1

He has an A rating so he has the chance....6'3'' 190lbs and is only 17 years old. From what I read he needs to work on his offense and playmaking....so maybe the college route isn't the best for him. It's not like he has to get bigger. Still super pissed about this though. I can somewhat rationalize his thinking of why he wanted to go the CHL route rather than college. I guess I had to sleep on it though. It still is bull he decommited 2 months after he committed. Hak will find someone nice to replace him. He has time.

Exactly why he is moving to the dub. I also never said he was going to be a top 10 pick. I said he was positioning, which is exactly what he is doing. Agree about an average year in the BCHL not translating to a top 10- again, exactly why he is moving on.

Without major junior experience, and with a mediocre BCHL season, it would be unlikely that he would make the Canadian WJC team- which, as a college player, would pretty much kill his high first round chances...

Toews does not go #3 overall without his WJC performance.

You are exactly right....the only reason he did this is to market himself. If all he has to do is work on is offense why would he go to college where players are bigger/faster/stronger/older. If I was him I would go tear up the WHL to market myself as he is already a very big kid. Again, I can rationalize his thinking I am just pissed our program lost out on this kid.

That's an interesting question. The Sioux have many forwards lined up for future years with the possibility of Schmaltz, Wilkie, Gersich, Poganski, Olson, Rowe and Voltin for next year. It will be interesting to see who gets brought in. I think Schmaltz and Olson are the only guarantees at this point. I was wondering if this opens up the possibility of a guy like Tyler Sheehy? Not sure if there is interest either way just throwing it out there to see if anyone has any insight. I'm thinking it would be a long shot though.

The players I am worried about are Voltin, Wilkie, Rowe (I believe) and Poganksi. There numbers so far in the USHL are pretty bad. I know that isn't the end all however one has to start wondering what there upside is. They are young but there are other players just as young tearing up the USHL right now going to other schools.

The players I am worried about are Voltin, Wilkie, Rowe (I believe) and Poganksi. There numbers so far in the USHL are pretty bad. I know that isn't the end all however one has to start wondering what there upside is. They are young but there are other players just as young tearing up the USHL right now going to other schools.

Wilkie and Poganski don't worry me much since they are young and new to the league. It may take them a little time to get used to the pace and the strength of the players. The other two you mention worry me since they have been in the league for at least a season. In Rowe's case for quite a few years even though he has been injured quite a bit.

Honestly Gropp probably watched Friday night's hockey game and realized playing 4 minutes of even strength hockey a game wonā€™t prepare him for the proā€™s like the WHL will. It's honestly like watching basketball. Who has the better PP unit. :)

More insight on Gropp's decision:

Gropp went on to add that it's something he's been thinking about for a while, from the time the team drafted him through his original commitment to the University of North Dakota and his eventual decision over the past few days to come to Seattle.

"It's just something that I've always wanted to do. It was tough [for my parents] at the start, but they're supporting me fully now, and that's all I can ask for," said Gropp, whose father played at Colorado College. "It took a little bit of time, but I finally built up the courage to tell my parents that it's what I really wanted to do and they're behind me."

"[barzal's commitment] was a big deal to me. Mathew is a great player and we've been talking quite a bit," he said. "Ultimately it was my decision and something I've wanted to do, but that didn't hurt."

http://mynorthwest.c...mism-for-TBirds

You are worried about Poganski and Wilkie who are playing in a tougher league, but you are upset we lost Gropp who didn't put up good numbers in an offensive league. Put too much stock in numbers.

You are worried about Poganski and Wilkie who are playing in a touger league, but you are upset we lost Gropp who didn't put up good numbers in an offensive league. Put too much stock in numbers.

Exactly.

I think the same poster was sour on Luke Johnson because of his points total in the USHL as well. Never mind roles, systems, effort and other factors that play into the level of contribution any given player can make to a program.

Exactly.

I think the same poster was sour on Luke Johnson because of his points total in the USHL as well. Never mind roles, systems, effort and other factors that play into the level of contribution any given player can make to a program.

If people are worried about certain players stats, I recommend taking the time to watch a game and judge how they play instead of looking solely at stats. Also keep in mind how their team is doing. For example, if their team isn't scoring a lot of goals, it'll reflect their stats.