SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Exactly.

I think the same poster was sour on Luke Johnson because of his points total in the USHL as well. Never mind roles, systems, effort and other factors that play into the level of contribution any given player can make to a program.

If people are worried about certain players stats, I recommend taking the time to watch a game and judge how they play instead of looking solely at stats. Also keep in mind how their team is doing. For example, if their team isn't scoring a lot of goals, it'll reflect their stats.

Very much agree with these sentiments. Having watched the likes of Wilkie & Poganski numerous times over the past year, I'm not concerned about their abilities translating to the NCAA level. They'll be fine, regardless of their slow start to the USHL season.

Voltin and Rowe are a little more concerning. Voltin, who I've only seen a few times, shows very promising flashes but then virtually disappears for long stretches. Rowe I've only seen twice, and one of those times was his first game back from a lengthy injury absence. Nothing remarkable on either occasion though. He and Cedar Rapids will be in Fargo tomorrow night to play the Force, so I'm looking forward to getting another look at him, along with Cakebread and, hopefully, Johnson.

If people are worried about certain players stats, I recommend taking the time to watch a game and judge how they play instead of looking solely at stats. Also keep in mind how their team is doing. For example, if their team isn't scoring a lot of goals, it'll reflect their stats.

I will add that some players don't flourish under certain systems. I know Jake Marto was hampered offensively by Mike Hastings system in Omaha, but maybe in the long run it helped him in the defensive end, making the learning curve to college hockey a little easier. UND coaches are up to date on every recruit and letting them know what they need to improve on to get to the next level.

• Upvote 1

You are worried about Poganski and Wilkie who are playing in a tougher league, but you are upset we lost Gropp who didn't put up good numbers in an offensive league. Put too much stock in numbers.

Gropps numbers were not terrible...and the BCHL is second (barely) to the USHL in all of NA. He had 8 pts in 10 games....I too thought they would have been better but he had time to pick it up. The USHL is an offensive league as well. What I meant is that Wilkie has been playing in the USHL circuit for the past two years and his numbers are not that great compared to others who went through the NTDP. I stil root for them...don't get me wrong. It is also early in the season they can both pick it up. I should have held back on Poganksi, his numbers aren't great but it's a small sample, in a new league, and his team is bad I believe. Fair.

Exactly.

I think the same poster was sour on Luke Johnson because of his points total in the USHL as well. Never mind roles, systems, effort and other factors that play into the level of contribution any given player can make to a program.

I am not the same poster....I did note that Luke's number last year took a dip from the year before but I have had his back from the beginning. I should have left Austin out of my previous comment but the rest stands. Also, Luke's numbers were solid in my mind.

Very much agree with these sentiments. Having watched the likes of Wilkie & Poganski numerous times over the past year, I'm not concerned about their abilities translating to the NCAA level. They'll be fine, regardless of their slow start to the USHL season.

Voltin and Rowe are a little more concerning. Voltin, who I've only seen a few times, shows very promising flashes but then virtually disappears for long stretches. Rowe I've only seen twice, and one of those times was his first game back from a lengthy injury absence. Nothing remarkable on either occasion though. He and Cedar Rapids will be in Fargo tomorrow night to play the Force, so I'm looking forward to getting another look at him, along with Cakebread and, hopefully, Johnson.

I guess Voltin is one that come's to mind, I have never seen him play but his stats have been relatively sub par his entire USHL career.

I guess Voltin is one that come's to mind, I have never seen him play but his stats have been relatively sub par his entire USHL career.

He's been hot/cold. It's consistency, which reflect in his stats. And there's never been much talent around him in Des Moines or Lincoln this year thus far. There's skills there, but he doesn't always show it. Money in the shootout, so he's got that going for him.

Here is one example of how USHL or junior stats do not always translate to college success

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM 2010-11 Fargo Force USHL 10 2 3 5 2 2 2 0 0 0 0 2011-12 Fargo Force USHL 58 10 12 22 18 5 6 1 1 2 0 2012-13 St. Cloud State WCHA 42 22 11 33 10

Not saying your wrong...more for discussion, tell me one player who had poor junior numbers that went on to excel at und.

Not saying your wrong...more for discussion, tell me one player who had poor junior numbers that went on to excel at und.

I don't know specifically about his numbers (and am too tired to look it up), but I remember seeing Marto play in the USHL and thinking he didn't have much chance to excel at UND. By his junior year at UND, he was the defenseman I would trust the most in a 2-on-1 situation.

If no team in the USHL has played more than 10 games, I generally feel it's too early to discuss recruits with "poor stats."

Tri-City does not have a player with more than 2 points in 5 games played. Just saying.

I agree...regarding tri city, I saw that. As mentioned before, I shouldn't have included Austin in my comment. Rowe, voltin and Wilkie have all played numerous USHL games with subpar numbers. Wilkie is the only one I think will end up with a "plus" offensive upside. We'll see though.

I'll take 22 goals and 33 points out of a freshman any year.

Who were his linemates? If that's Brody's numbers you were showing that would be funny...he got to play with leblanc. Go check out setiguchi and cheechoo while they played with thorton....great passers create goal scorers.

Not saying any of those guys will "excel" at UND, but doesn't mean they can't/won't be great role players here. Colton St. Clair is an example of that. His goals went down each year he was in the USHL and people were wondering if he would be able to contribute in college. While he isn't a top scorer, I think most people like his game here.

Who were his linemates? If that's Brody's numbers you were showing that would be funny...he got to play with leblanc. Go check out setiguchi and cheechoo while they played with thorton....great passers create goal scorers.

Then why do people complain about O'Donnell and Mitch MacMillan if you can just throw any old person out there and they should have numbers. Seems to me O'Donnell did get to play with Knight and Kristo.

Then why do people complain about O'Donnell and Mitch MacMillan if you can just throw any old person out there and they should have numbers. Seems to me O'Donnell did get to play with Knight and Kristo.

In his defense he looks like a new man this year. He's at least good for a tap in goal and crushing some pipes. Mitch on the other hand..... I'm sure he's a great team guy but he just needs to do something and that doesn't mean hold back our top line.

I think O'Donnell looks a lot better. He should have had better numbers playing with Knight and Kristo. I don't think he played with them a lot though. Also, he's looking a little better this year. Not going to comment on Mitch.

I might understand Gropp's choice a little more if next summer was his draft and he needed to jump start his stock right now. But he won't be drafted until Summer of 2015 because he just barely misses the cut off date to be eligible for next summer's draft. I think he would have been just fine if he had stayed the course. But I guess some kids just lack some faith at times.

I think O'Donnell looks a lot better. He should have had better numbers playing with Knight and Kristo. I don't think he played with them a lot though. Also, he's looking a little better this year. Not going to comment on Mitch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those guys, just saying that Brodzinski wasn't just a toss in on that top line last year for St. Cloud.

• Upvote 1

I might understand Gropp's choice a little more if next summer was his draft and he needed to jump start his stock right now. But he won't be drafted until Summer of 2015 because he just barely misses the cut off date to be eligible for next summer's draft. I think he would have been just fine if he had stayed the course. But I guess some kids just lack some faith at times.

Yeah, to me if you are just looking to get drafted high to get that one initial big payday, then maybe you should be going to school anyway. If I were scouting him and saw him jump ship because his numbers weren't there, I would question whether he will have the work ethic to get his game to the next level. With all the scouting and physchological tests and things being administered to prospective draft picks in all Major League sports, I would think it would hardly go unnoticed that someone chose to quit at a level he was struggling in order to find a place to pad his stats for the draft. Could just be a matter of wanting a change of scenery or different style of play, but it wasn't really presented that way by the Penticton administration. Don't want to sound like sour grapes because I don't know the kid, just curious how that type of situation plays out with the NHL scouts. Obviously Drake Caggiula left the USHL to play somewhere more comfortable, so not knowing all the facts behind this, I can't really wish bad on Gropp.

It is Jonny Brodzinski's stats. I am not saying he will put up those numbers again this year, but it is an example of a kid who was buried on the 3rd line in Fargo for whatever reason, but did learn to be responsible in his own end and they even had him killing penalties which helped earn him Motzko's confidence to send him out there with LeBlanc.

Someone else in this thread asked for other examples....

www.hockeydb.com

do it yourself until you realize you were wrong.

It is Jonny Brodzinski's stats. I am not saying he will put up those numbers again this year, but it is an example of a kid who was buried on the 3rd line in Fargo for whatever reason, but did learn to be responsible in his own end and they even had him killing penalties which helped earn him Motzko's confidence to send him out there with LeBlanc.

Someone else in this thread asked for other examples....

www.hockeydb.com

do it yourself until you realize you were wrong.

What? What was I wrong about? You provided a pretty small sample there. Haha, don't get feisty. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those guys, just saying that Brodzinski wasn't just a toss in on that top line last year for St. Cloud.

yeah I know what you meant. I played against Brodzinski in this past summer's Walleye Chop tourney in the Cities...he does have an absolute bomb.

Yeah, to me if you are just looking to get drafted high to get that one initial big payday, then maybe you should be going to school anyway. If I were scouting him and saw him jump ship because his numbers weren't there, I would question whether he will have the work ethic to get his game to the next level. With all the scouting and physchological tests and things being administered to prospective draft picks in all Major League sports, I would think it would hardly go unnoticed that someone chose to quit at a level he was struggling in order to find a place to pad his stats for the draft. Could just be a matter of wanting a change of scenery or different style of play, but it wasn't really presented that way by the Penticton administration. Don't want to sound like sour grapes because I don't know the kid, just curious how that type of situation plays out with the NHL scouts. Obviously Drake Caggiula left the USHL to play somewhere more comfortable, so not knowing all the facts behind this, I can't really wish bad on Gropp.

From the sounds of it his parents were pushing college super hard. I'm guessing in the back of his mind he wanted to play in Canada all along and he finally got the courage to say that. I'm doubting the NHL scouts will bat an eye at this, from an NHL GM's standpoint it may be better (for them) for the kid to get into their system where they can have more control. If I was a parent of the kid, I would like them to go the college route in case hockey doesn't work out (as is the case many times; the teams could care less about those kids who don't pan out). Overall makes sense, I simply like when we pluck those Canadian kids after the CHL has plucked so many of our US boys over the past 5 years or so.