SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

What? What was I wrong about? You provided a pretty small sample there. Haha, don't get feisty. :)

Just saying that there are several guys who put up big numbers in the USHL who don't when they get to college and also several guys who don't really put up numbers in the USHL who all of a sudden become pretty respectable scoring threats in college.

jumping to pad his stats? He is going to the toughest non pro league in the world.

It isn't about padding stats, it is about competing at the highest level in order to have a chance as a top draft pick.

As i said earlier- average BCHL offensive numbers and UND equals no WJC, and all of the above equals probably not high first round

jumping to pad his stats? He is going to the toughest non pro league in the world.

It isn't about padding stats, it is about competing at the highest level in order to have a chance as a top draft pick.

As i said earlier- average BCHL offensive numbers and UND equals no WJC, and all of the above equals probably not high first round

"Pad his stats" was a poor choice of words, but if you aren't producing to the level you want in the BCHL, why not bear down and get it done if you are confident enough in your abilities that you are expecting to possibly be a 1st round draft pick. Could very well be he was unhappy with his decision and it showed in his on ice production, which would explain his decision for a change of scenery and direction.

Just saying that there are several guys who put up big numbers in the USHL who don't when they get to college and also several guys who don't really put up numbers in the USHL who all of a sudden become pretty respectable scoring threats in college.

I totally agree...it isn't a sin to start worrying about some players though is it? I was the one defending Gropp because his numbers aren't off the charts so far, even though the hockey community knows this kid will play in the NHL.

Checkmate.

Seems it is easier to put up better numbers in Major Junior than it is in college though. Guys like David Toews, Corey Fienhage and Charlie Coyle's numbers were a lot better after they left college.

Seems it is easier to put up better numbers in Major Junior than it is in college though. Guys like David Toews, Corey Fienhage and Charlie Coyle's numbers were a lot better after they left college.

That's because a lot of the players are younger....when these uber talented kids play against other kids they go bonkers. When uber talented kids play against young men...their numbers aren't as good. Although one has to remember some of these uber talent kids playing in the CHL would absolutely light up college hockey as well. That league is littered with 1st round, and potential 1st round, draft picks. D. Toews would have been older when he went there. Also, the depth isn't there in the CHL.....it is a league for prospects to do well in. They are offensively gifted however they may not be as mature...their numbers would take a hit playing against bigger/older players.

That's because a lot of the players are younger....when these uber talented kids play against other kids they go bonkers. When uber talented kids play against young men...their numbers aren't as good. Although one has to remember some of these uber talent kids playing in the CHL would absolutely light up college hockey as well. That league is littered with 1st round, and potential 1st round, draft picks. D. Toews would have been older when he went there. Also, the depth isn't there in the CHL.....it is a league for prospects to do well in. They are offensively gifted however they may not be as mature...their numbers would take a hit playing against bigger/older players.

All very true...a 17 year old Patrick Kane is a perfect example...or a 16 year old Mario, Stevie, Wayne...a kid like Zach Parise would've racked up 100 points in the W at 18, probably 120 in the O, and probably 140 in the Q. Toewser might've been more like 70, 80, 90, but with ridiculous two-way play.

All very true...a 17 year old Patrick Kane is a perfect example...or a 16 year old Mario, Stevie, Wayne...a kid like Zach Parise would've racked up 100 points in the W at 18, probably 120 in the O, and probably 140 in the Q. Toewser might've been more like 70, 80, 90, but with ridiculous two-way play.

I miss watching Toews at UND. He was so much better than everyone else without doing anything flashy. I hope one of these next classes can get a player that can be head and shoulders above everyone even at a young age.

I remember educating my wife about Toewser...Oshie was flashier with the dangles and big hits, Duncan racked up the goals, but Toewser was a PERFECT hockey player. He did everything right.

I remember sitting front row against Wisconsin and having my jaw drop at how damn good he was. Moving the puck in the power play and just his hands in general were amazing.

I remember educating my wife about Toewser...Oshie was flashier with the dangles and big hits, Duncan racked up the goals, but Toewser was a PERFECT hockey player. He did everything right.

I was just telling by Goofer buddy that I thought Toews was the best college hockey player I have seen in my lifetime. As far as a complete hockey player goes. He was super young but I had the feeling he was going to be an NHL star. I didn't know he would go on to captain to Cups before the age of 26 (I believe).

Schmaltz, Poganski and Mantha start international play tonight vs Russia. Gardner played last night and again today I believe for Canada west

also

@SchlossmanGF: Christian Evers and the U17s are off to Slovakia this week. Shane Gersich and the U18s are in Finland. Four Nations tournaments.