SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Poolman with another great weekend or Omaha. Schmaltz just tore it up over seas! That was impressive. Is he still a bit young to be considered for the wjt team? Or will next year be his year along with Mantha Poganski and Gersich possibly?

They've taken kids Schmaltz's age before (Jason Zucker, Jack Campbell recently come to mind), I just don't know how much he's on the radar for that team this year. I personally think he should be with the kind of international success he has had. If not this year, next year for sure.

Wasn't sure where to put this but just decided to put it in here. Anyways have you guys heard anything about Chris Chelios originally being committed here and then asking out because James Patrick signed here?

why would James Patrick make Chris Chelios opt out...did Chilli want to be THE MAN? I'd think he'd have loved to be paired with Patrick or Ludwig...

As written by Siouxman in an email this morning:

Baby Boy Morley, son of Mr and Mrs Morley, grandson of Mr and Mrs Siouxman, has verbally committed to play hockey for the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. He is expected to arrive on campus in the fall of 2031. With a birthday of 3:36 am on November 15, 2013 he is too young to be eligible to sign a national letter of intent at this time. At 7 lbs. 6.6 oz, Baby Morley will need to add some bulk to his frame for the rigors of the college hockey season. His height is currently not available, but he is expected to grow taller. With his large feet and active hands, Baby Morley is expected to be a powerful skater with slick stickhandling skills. Although he has yet to play his first hockey game, scouts are eagerly waiting to see what he can bring to the game of hockey.

Congrats to the proud parents and grandparents and welcome to the Sioux hockey family!

• Upvote 3

Chris Wilkie signed his NLI today

https://twitter.com/...603536959033344

It's nice to see him sign, but at the same time, Miller, Matteau and Koules had signed and we all know how that turned out. Hopefully Wilkie actually sticks to it.

I'm still not sold on this oneā€¦I'm sure that will rub some people on here wrong however I just am confused as his stats are extremely sub-par (not just this year).

So what are the thoughts on Voltin and Rowe? Are they pushed off another year, which makes them look elsewhere?

See previous postā€¦.I'm not sold on these guys either. UNO has like 2 of the top leading scorers in the USHLā€¦.we need those types of players. Schmaltz is nice but I am not overly high on the other forwards.

Not exactly an easy transition to major junior. He really has had one bad game where he was a -3. His other games he's +1, 0, -1. He isn't scoring, but I don't think he is expected to in his current role.

This is unfortunate because the main reason why he left Pentiction was that he was unhappy with his production in the BCHL (8pts in 10 games). Those coaches encouraged him to jump to the WHL thinking he would put up more points to help his draft stock down the road. And Gropp thought he would be able to play on a line with his good buddy Matthew Barzal.

Obviously he's young and there is plenty of time for him to turn things around, but he has to be a little disappointed.

This is unfortunate because the main reason why he left Pentiction was that he was unhappy with his production in the BCHL (8pts in 10 games). Those coaches encouraged him to jump to the WHL thinking he would put up more points to help his draft stock down the road. And Gropp thought he would be able to play on a line with his good buddy Matthew Barzal.

Obviously he's young and there is plenty of time for him to turn things around, but he has to be a little disappointed.

Completely agree. I know what the WHL is about. He went there to showcase his skill and inflate his numbers by playing with Barzal. That is definitely not happening. Tough league though.

Since we don't have anything more to look forward to this year, I thought I'd look at how our committed recruits are doing thus far.

Lookin' Good:

Tucker Poolman, D - 21 GP, 6g-9a-15pts, 2nd in league dman scoring

Trevor Olson, F - 10gp, 6g-7a-13pts, started the season strong...now out after surgery

Ryan Mantha, D - 15gp, 1g-4a-5pts, already matched his goal total from last year :crazy:

Nick Schmaltz, F - 16gp, 8g-12a-20pts, leads team in scoring, dominated Intl tourneys

Shane Gersich, F - 23gp, 10g-7a-17pts, picking it up recently for the NTDP U18 team

So-So:

Austin Poganski, F - 15gp, 4g-0a-4pts, worst +/- on the worst team in the USHL

Chris Wilkie, F - 19gp, 5g-4a-9pts, 3rd in team scoring on worst team

Jack Rowe, F - 17gp, 7g-3a-10pts, doing a bit better than last year

Christian Evers, D - 17gp, 1g-4a-5pts, NTDP U17 team

Luke Voltin, F - 20gp, 1g-9a-10pts, tied for 2nd on team in scoring...one goal?

Christian Cakebread, F - 19gp, 5g-2a-7pts, 3rd on bad Fargo team in scoring

Cam Johnson, G - 11gp, 3.06 gaa, .915 save %, good save % on a horrible team

Danys Chartrand, D - 26gp, 3g-5a-8pts, doing better than last year

Charlie Pelnik, D - 29gp, 0g-5a-5pts, hopefully a good defensive dman... ;)

Rhett Gardner, F - 22gp, 7g-6a-13pts

• 2 weeks later...