SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Poolman sounds like a hell of a player as well! Is the younger Poolman a F or D? Are Bowen poolman and all those EGF kids all still there or did any go to juniors? Thanks sorry to get off track a bit but just curious

Gropp could be Johnny Toews good

Tucker Poolman may very well be the preseason front runner for USHL D-man of the Year. Colton is a d-man for EGF, and as far as I know all the underclassmen for EGF (Bowen, Poolman, the Lovens, Tweten, Eades, Ausmus, etc.) are returning to play high school.

There's also one more Poolman coming through the system. Mason is a bit younger (2002 BY), but he too is a good player.

Obviously not saying he's that good right now or on exact path that Johnny was just seems to be a special player! Hope he ends up on campus! Yes Toews was once a generation and even more rare for college with major juniors knocking on your door daily

Gropp seems to have great size as well. Look forward to seeing him skate in the Ralph

Gropp had actually been pretty quiet for several games before scoring last night, and in the offensive BCHL, I was wondering what was going on. Max Coatta has been Penticton's best scorer lately. If Gropp doesn't put up big numbers in the BCHL this year, I could see him being held off another year since there are so many high-end forwards ready to come in next year, depending on how they perform this year. Now if they think they might lose him to Major Junior if he can't come in next year -- well, I think you find a way to make room for him.

Gropp had actually been pretty quiet for several games before scoring last night, and in the offensive BCHL, I was wondering what was going on. Max Coatta has been Penticton's best scorer lately. If Gropp doesn't put up big numbers in the BCHL this year, I could see him being held off another year since there are so many high-end forwards ready to come in next year, depending on how they perform this year. Now if they think they might lose him to Major Junior if he can't come in next year -- well, I think you find a way to make room for him.

Gropp is only 2 points behind Coatta and it's only 7 games into the season

Gropp is only 2 points behind Coatta and it's only 7 games into the season

That is certainly true, but my point is that since opening weekend when he put up 4 points, Gropp hasn't exactly been lighting it up. That is fine, because he is younger than Coatta and most others, but it certainly makes the comparisons to Toews unwarranted. Gropp himself said he is uncomfortable with such comparisons. Let him make his own way. It seems whenever high expectations are placed on players at UND, some fans have expectations that are unreasonable.

That is certainly true, but my point is that since opening weekend when he put up 4 points, Gropp hasn't exactly been lighting it up. That is fine, because he is younger than Coatta and most others, but it certainly makes the comparisons to Toews unwarranted. Gropp himself said he is uncomfortable with such comparisons. Let him make his own way. It seems whenever high expectations are placed on players at UND, some fans have expectations that are unreasonable.

Agreed. I love Gropp having watched him play numerous times (mostly prior to his commitment), but he is not a Toews-caliber recruit. That being said, he just turned 17 a couple weeks ago and he will be a very, very good player for UND.

Murphy, Ausmus and Tambellini mention

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013/10/02/college-hockey-preview-freshman-15-first-year-players-to-watch/

Per brads blog seems recruit Trevor Olson had a injury and is done for the season. I'm sure details will come out. Was just named captain for sioux city. Bummer

I watched my first Gamblers game the other night, and sat right behind their bench (Schmaltz gave a curious look and nod upon seeing the Sioux jersey). No goals for Nick that night, but I noticed a few bursts of speed from him, and a couple dangles. I'll admit that I have very much the untrained eye, but his passes seemed to be the most accurate on the team, and he appeared to be an unselfish player. He took a few hard hits into the boards, and got up quickly; seemed tough for his size. When his coaches spoke on the bench, he listened intently, seemed very focused. All in all, it was a good game. There was even a fight which the refs let go, which was one of the high points of the night judging from the crowd reaction. Speed and skill wise, it seemed somewhere between high school and DIII hockey...am I right on this? I think the players are smaller in DIII, but faster and more skilled.

6'4 215lb Pelnik (D) dropped the gloves in a 4-3 win this last weekend. He has 3 points (all assists) for the first place Langley Riverman. 2 of his 3 assists came Sunday in a 6-1 win where he was the 2nd star of the game. Good to see him get it going.