SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

What's the deal with Murphy and Stecher....I thought those guys were solid? Murphy's numbers are eye popping why would he not even be a 7th rounder? Is he small?

Size...

Remember Duncan, Panzer, Genoway, Spirko, Trupp and Hoogsteen were of a size that they weren't going to be NHL players. And yet I would take a team full of those guys. Genoway might still prove me off on that one. Also eye popping in the BCHL isn't quite the same as everywhere else...

• Upvote 1

Geez, that '96 group of forwards just keeps getting better and better. Completely stacked. Hopefully the majority of them make it to campus and then stay for a couple seasons...

They will be fun to watch grow together on the ice.

Could be the makings of some very special teams by the time they are juniors/seniors like the Frattin/Trupp/Malone/etc class.

GF Herald article - BCHL standout Gropp commits to UND

Itā€™s a pretty exciting time,ā€ said Gropp, whose father played college hockey at Colorado College. ā€œI had been talking to a bunch of schools but this was only my second visit. I fell in love with the place. I was impressed by everything ā€“ the building, the coaching staff ā€“ and that was it for me.

ā€œI had heard about the rink, but it blew me away. And the coaching staff made me feel right at home.ā€

Excellent get and an exciting class of talented recruits for the next 2 years. But where do all of these guys fit? Even tentatively moving back a couple to the 2015 incoming class, not accounting for Voltin, Rowe, etc., there seems to be a huge logjam at forward with us only losing two seniors after this year. I know you 'make space' for a kid like Gropp, but the numbers just don't add up, especially when they're all high-end guys who aren't going to delay their development by sitting in juniors for extra years. And you definitely can't replace a walk-on with a scholarship player in terms of some folks who aren't seeing the ice much.

I'm sure Hak & Co. know what they're doing here, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully it's not an indicator of a mass-exodus expected (Grimaldi, MacMillan, Parks, etc.) as they just don't seem ready, or of several of these high-end recruits not making it to campus. Would also hate to see some of these kids pushed back and need to come in late or de-commit, or great role-players working their tails off have their scholarship's reduced and/or transfer. Maybe it's like Lebron, Wayde, etc. and they all decided to take reduced offers to put together an elite team. ;)

Anyway, incredibly exciting to be landing these kids and can't wait to see them, however this all turns out.

Excellent get and an exciting class of talented recruits for the next 2 years. But where do all of these guys fit? Even tentatively moving back a couple to the 2015 incoming class, not accounting for Voltin, Rowe, etc., there seems to be a huge logjam at forward with us only losing two seniors after this year. I know you 'make space' for a kid like Gropp, but the numbers just don't add up, especially when they're all high-end guys who aren't going to delay their development by sitting in juniors for extra years. And you definitely can't replace a walk-on with a scholarship player in terms of some folks who aren't seeing the ice much.

I'm sure Hak & Co. know what they're doing here, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully it's not an indicator of a mass-exodus expected (Grimaldi, MacMillan, Parks, etc.) as they just don't seem ready, or of several of these high-end recruits not making it to campus. Would also hate to see some of these kids pushed back and need to come in late or de-commit, or great role-players working their tails off have their scholarship's reduced and/or transfer. Maybe it's like Lebron, Wayde, etc. and they all decided to take reduced offers to put together an elite team. ;)

Anyway, incredibly exciting to be landing these kids and can't wait to see them, however this all turns out.

The borderline kids just go somewhere else...you have to account that 1-2 kids decommit. Also, there are new kids each year.

Yes, because we definitely want to become known as a school where 2 recruits decommit per year.

NOT.

You have to at least plan that 1 kid may decommit when the are top flight prospects. When you do t plan ahead you get fans (especially on this site) bashing the kids for the next 5 years. Always have to plan ahead.

And I , not once, said two kids would decommit "per year". U added that to attempt to be funny. I meant there are new players coming up each year that may be a nice fill in.

Expected 2014 freshman forwards (not counting any pegged as 14' or 15'):

Olson

Poganski

Wilkie

Gropp

Schmaltz

Voltin/Rowe (both were originally expected this year, although their development looks to have been a bit slower)

Total 7.

Expected departures: 2 (Seniors Rodwell and Mitch Mac).

Even if you exclude Voltin and Rowe because I haven't heard much about their plans, and plan for 1 decommit (let's hope not) -- you still have 4 inbound and 2 spots. Unless the scholarships pulled this year will carry-over and allow some addt'l roster spots, you still need either further decommits, transfers, pro signings, or to postpone some high-end players a year. Not ideal in any scenario, but it seems to happen every year so I suppose it makes sense to over-recruit, especially for a player like Gropp. Also, doesn't appear to be any room at D to absorb overflow, either.

But these things seem to work themselves out. I just hope it doesn't end up burning any recruits or existing players, even if tough decisions need to be made. Just being greedy, but I want to see all of them in green and white!

Olson

Poganski

Wilkie

Gropp

Schmaltz

Voltin/Rowe (both were originally expected this year, although their development looks to have been a bit slower)

Total 7.

Even if you exclude Voltin and Rowe because I haven't heard much about their plans, and plan for 1 decommit (let's hope not) -- you still have 4 inbound and 2 spots. Unless the scholarships pulled this year will carry-over and allow some addt'l roster spots, you still need either further decommits, transfers, pro signings, or to postpone some high-end players a year. Not ideal in any scenario, but it seems to happen every year so I suppose it makes sense to over-recruit, especially for a player like Gropp. Also, doesn't appear to be any room at D to absorb overflow, either.

But these things seem to work themselves out. I just hope it doesn't end up burning any recruits or existing players, even if tough decisions need to be made. Just being greedy, but I want to see all of them in green and white!

Wouldn't be suprised if Grimaldi leaves early even though I don't think he should. Also a possibility that MacMillan or Parks could but neither probably should unless they have a huge season this year. If you look at some guys who didn't play much last year and probably won't play much this year you gotta think that some could maybe look to transfer just to find playing time. Guys like Chyzk, Sanderson, Panzerella, and Senkbeil( last 2 may be less likely because they would only have 1 season left) could look to transfer as it looks like they will have a tough time getting on the ice. These things usually have a way of working themselves out and I trust Hak and the rest of the stuff have a good idea of what is going to happen.

• Upvote 1

Dumb question time. How many of the incoming recruits for 14 and 15 have signed letters? When is the earliest they can sign if they have not signed as of yet? Dumb question number two. Are these guys Chyzk, Sanderson, Panzerella, and Senkbeil good enough to play anywhere else? Maybe they would be happy to just stay and finish school and be part of the program. Years ago this use to be the case with a lot of guys.

Olson

Poganski

Wilkie

Gropp

Schmaltz

Total 7.

But in the same way, when we lost Miller, Matteau and Koules, I don't think we replaced those players with high scholarship players, and I believe even some walk-ons, rather than give high scholarship money to a player just to fill a roster spot. Perhaps they have a little scholarship money in the bank because they didn't just throw scholarship money to players for the sake of filling a scholarship roster spot. We do have quite a few players that were walk-ons on our roster now.

Wouldn't be suprised if Grimaldi leaves early even though I don't think he should.

I'm really looking forward to watching Grimaldi this year, but I don't think he was anywhere near ready to take the next step at the end of last year. It's a pretty good time to be a small guy in the NHL with the new rules, but they'd eat him up, IMO. He's got quickness, vision, and hands, but he's taken off the puck too easily at this point.

One thing going for him, he's used up four years worth of posts and crossbars already.

For sure he has to score- I hope he has that break out yr & all his dreams come true - but like u said he was not even close to a Pariese or many other of our past offensive stars

Dumb question time. How many of the incoming recruits for 14 and 15 have signed letters? When is the earliest they can sign if they have not signed as of yet? Dumb question number two. Are these guys Chyzk, Sanderson, Panzerella, and Senkbeil good enough to play anywhere else? Maybe they would be happy to just stay and finish school and be part of the program. Years ago this use to be the case with a lot of guys.

This crossed my mind, too. When you're being brought in at the last minute because someone like JT Miller bolted, is this something that gets discussed? For all we know, the coaches talked to them about the opportunities available right away (with the open roster) but made it plainly clear that getting playing time might prove to be more difficult once more top-tier recruits came in a year or two down the road. Some might get restless and jump ship, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of them stick around just to be part of the program.

I remember being surprised when Cichy transferred because he had said during his freshman year that even without playing in games he was getting so much better just by practicing with a team of this caliber. That ended up not being enough for him, but it very well might be enough for some of these guys.

Are these guys Chyzk, Sanderson, Panzerella, and Senkbeil good enough to play anywhere else? Maybe they would be happy to just stay and finish school and be part of the program. Years ago this use to be the case with a lot of guys.

Of the 4 guys mentioned Bryn is the only one with above average collegiate talent who could potentially make a difference in the next year or 2.

I'm really looking forward to watching Grimaldi this year, but I don't think he was anywhere near ready to take the next step at the end of last year. It's a pretty good time to be a small guy in the NHL with the new rules, but they'd eat him up, IMO. He's got quickness, vision, and hands, but he's taken off the puck too easily at this point.

I actually disagree, I thought he was pretty strong on the puck and put up a lot of fight along the boards. If he stays beyond the 13-14 season I'll be surprised. I thought his awareness needed some improvement to end the erroneous no-look passes but other than that and tweaking his shot by half an inch to avoid those posts I think he's pretty close to ready for the next step (AHL where he can then prove himself ready for the big league). He's only 5'6" but he's already 170 lbs, so it's not like he needs to put on a lot more weight.

Not you, but others saying he isn't ready because he's not even close to Parise or some other offensive stars isn't really fair, as he'll never be a Parise or Oshie due to his size.

• Upvote 1