SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I'm not following the negative reaction to the CSS ratings at all. I've always found the 3rd to 5th rounds to be the sweet spot. More likely to get those really solid players that will be 3 year guys. 6 of the 7 are rated. I don't get how there's a negative spin to that. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I'm not following the negative reaction to the CSS ratings at all. I've always found the 3rd to 5th rounds to be the sweet spot. More likely to get those really solid players that will be 3 year guys. 6 of the 7 are rated. I don't get how there's a negative spin to that. 

I was hoping someone would say this. I completely agree. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Nah I can just tell recruiting has really dropped off. Lost lots of battles lately with blue

bloods

Yes, getting the "Blue Chip" recruits has always worked out for BU and Michigan.

Only idiot coaches would go after the "right" players, not the "best" players. I can't remember anywhere in the history of hockey where that worked out for someone.

• Upvote 2

I like the high end talented players too (Oshie, Toews, etc.) but they don't all turn out like that either. I've seen plenty of guys that have skill, but no grit. Won't go into the corners, won't battle for a puck, can't even do a pull up. Not a fan of those guys either.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

We've had plenty of mid and late rounders that don't work out. Yon was rated C, never got drafted and did nothing in 4 years. Hopefully some of them raise their stock over the year.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

...and there shouldn't be. Those types of kids can make it too (obviously). Have we lost more battles than we used to (thinking early 2000s)? Sure. But picking up those late(r) bloomers has benefits as well. We still have a decent Canadian pipeline too.

33 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yeah, all we have done is win back-to-back Penrose Cups, which you win by finishing first in the toughest league in the country. Gotta step it up. (sarcasm) :silly:

Totally get it...that's a lagging indicator though. FYI not saying our recruiting is poor. Just putting that out here.

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Totally get it...that's a lagging indicator though. FYI not saying our recruiting is poor. Just putting that out here.

I just get a little tired of @gfhockey and the unsubstantiated posts about "grindaz" and "blue chippaz". Like he is the moral arbiter of what those terms mean. :silly:

These guys are young, young.  No one on here can tell me they know where in our College Hockey lineup these youngsters will fall!  Some will stay the same (C), some may drastically improve and become elite (A and B), and some will drop off the radar and, more than likely, not go the college route.  Our recruitment staff does the best they can to find those that will excel and year after year we can come up with a damn competitive hockey team.  I am more than pleased with how well we do, and I love to follow all these KIDS young careers as they make a path toward UND, or not!  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

We've had plenty of mid and late rounders that don't work out. Yon was rated C, never got drafted and did nothing in 4 years. Hopefully some of them raise their stock over the year.

...and we’ve had plenty of guys that were thought of to be top end recruits when we got them and they didn’t develop later.   Guys like Rizzo, Ryder Donovan, Ethan Bowen and Halliday were big time recruits at the time they committed.  I wouldn’t trade a Donovan for Judd Caulfield. 

6 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I guess I’m in the monority of watching the skill type playas like oshientoews Sanderson jost etc

Thought you were about Natty’s!  None of those guys have Natty’s, unless Sanderson gets one this year. And you realize when we first recruited guys like Sanderson and Pinto they weren’t considered elite.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, tnt said:

...and we’ve had plenty of guys that were thought of to be top end recruits when we got them and they didn’t develop later.   Guys like Rizzo, Ryder Donovan, Ethan Bowen and Halliday were big time recruits at the time they committed.  I wouldn’t trade a Donovan for Judd Caulfield. 

Well obviously :)

Rizzo is actually doing well to start this year. A bit worried about Bowen.

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Well obviously :)

Rizzo is actually doing well to start this year. A bit worried about Bowen.

Bowen is the last remaining member of the weirdest group of recruits I've ever seen. By group I mean, guys that committed around the same time. You had this collection of guys that all started playing Juniors the same year (I believe) or within a year of each other as Juniors in HS. You don't play USHL / BCHL as a Junior unless you are extremely highly skilled. Reid / Mancinelli / Rizzo / Halliday / Bowen. I don't think I'm missing anyone. Miller, but that's another situation all together. They all had for their age, really solid years. The expectation was that year 2, their draft years that they would all sky rocket. None of them did. Bowen is the only one that's still committed. What's odd about him is his draft year, he had a pretty solid start, but got injured. Since then, his numbers are solid, but he's seemed to have plateaued. 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Bowen is the last remaining member of the weirdest group of recruits I've ever seen. By group I mean, guys that committed around the same time. You had this collection of guys that all started playing Juniors the same year (I believe) or within a year of each other as Juniors in HS. You don't play USHL / BCHL as a Junior unless you are extremely highly skilled. Reid / Mancinelli / Rizzo / Halliday / Bowen. I don't think I'm missing anyone. Miller, but that's another situation all together. They all had for their age, really solid years. The expectation was that year 2, their draft years that they would all sky rocket. None of them did. Bowen is the only one that's still committed. What's odd about him is his draft year, he had a pretty solid start, but got injured. Since then, his numbers are solid, but he's seemed to have plateaued. 

Agreed pt/gm isn't bad....but that's a high scoring league. Players exceed a pt/gm easily and he's a bit older. Now if you're a pt/gm guy in the USHL that's a completely different assessment.