Somebody, anybody, find me a "blue chippa" on this list

But what do all the guys on that list have? This

Two second round picks on blue line

DeFauw and Commodore

and

Two 3rd round picks up front

Bayda and Goren

That's it

They beat a Maine team with 10 NHL draft picks including 1 first round pick and 1 second round pick in the semi finals and BC with 11 NHL picks including 2 first round picks, 1 second round pick and 2 3rd rounders for the title.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Two second round picks on blue line

DeFauw and Commodore

and

Two 3rd round picks up front

Bayda and Goren

That's it

They beat a Maine team with 10 NHL draft picks including 1 first round pick and 1 second round pick in the semi finals and BC with 11 NHL picks including 2 first round picks, 1 second round pick and 2 3rd rounders for the title.

Brad DeFauw was a forward

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 7:11 AM, Wilbur said:

Hobie Hedquist with three shutouts in a row in the BCHL.  

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Apparently the lad needed a change of scenery. 

You kind of get some Adam Scheel vibes right now. Scheel had a better U-18 year than Hedquist, better numbers (.875 vs .831), Scheel playing at the Development program you are playing against colleges as well, which will negatively affect your numbers. From a high level, you have both playing in the USHL young, both with not great SV%, both moving to the BCHL their +1 year. Scheel definitely excelled and Hedquist is lights out right now. Lets hope the comparisons continue.

This extra (Covid) year thing has messed up my crystal ball (pipeline projections). 

My question for someone in the know is this:

Does the 2020-21 season just not exist for anyone's "five academic years to complete four seasons" clocks?  

@jdub27 @Hammersmith any insights? 

For example, Frisch, he played 19-20 and 20-21. They intro him as a "junior from Moorhead". But if 20-21 doesn't count, isn't he "ah soff-oh-moore" (c) Darrin Looker. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

This extra (Covid) year thing has messed up my crystal ball (pipeline projections). 

Does the 2020-21 season just not exist for anyone's "five academic years to complete four seasons" clocks?  

For example, Frisch, he played 19-20 and 20-21. They intro him as a "junior from Moorhead". But if 20-21 doesn't count, isn't he "ah soff-oh-moore" (c) Darrin Looker. 

Correct. How every school is doing it, is counting that extra year on the backend. I'm guessing it's following their actual academic standing. When it comes to that extra year, how it's classified seems to depend on your actual class status. Duluth for example has players listed as either 5th year or Graduate Student. Western, all classified as Graduate Senior. St. Cloud uses RS-Senior, Graduate Senior. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Agree with AJS. The 20-21 season doesn't count against the running clock, but how schools choose to report players' classes is up to them. But it's safe to say almost all schools will deal with it on the back end.

You're probably not going to see a FR, RS-FR SO, SO(20-21), JR, SR.

Instead, you're going to see a FR, RS-FR, SO, JR(20-21), SR, SR(or GS if the player has graduated)

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Basically last season did not go towards any student athletes 4 years of eligibility (5 years with red-shirting). So it was a free year. 

NLI signing season, so far I've seen three on social media. Blake, James, Strinden. All Forwards. Anyone else we know signed? I really don't see any Forwards leaving early, outside of potential transfer out type of situation, we might be looking at just 3 Forward spots for next year. 

Come spring 2022, I figure we'll need to replace:

F: Ford, Hain, Senden (with Blake, James, Strinden as the replacements)
G: Driscoll (Hedquist) 
D: Sanderson (probably Benoit based on ages in the D pipeline) 

Beyond that list ... do Calder and Jandric and Ferner play in 2022-23? 

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Definite yes to Calder / Ferner. Listed as Juniors on the UND Roster, have another year of eligibility. Jandric though is very interesting. He's only played three years of college hockey, but accelerated to graduate early (Schlossman wrote an article a month or so back) and therefore is in Graduate school. I do think he returns and I guess is just listed as Gr again next year? The short is I do think all three return next year.

44 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I wonder if UND goes to the transfer portal again for a goaltender.  Yes, Hedquist has improved dramatically in the BCHL this year, but is he still too green to be the go-to guy for a program like UND?   Talk about pressure for a youngster.  Maybe Hellsten could be a factor, but the fact that he hasn't seen a minute of time yet makes me wonder.  Could be the same kind of scenario with Benoit, with Berry possibly wanting experience to fill the gap left by Sanderson.  Hopefully Johnson is ready to go after working with the coaches and time in the weight room. 

35 minutes ago, tnt said:

Maybe Hellsten could be a factor, but the fact that he hasn't seen a minute of time yet makes me wonder.

Hellsten not getting a look yet is no concern to me. Why? He's been listed as the backup every night, not Feeney, not Johnson. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Benoit is not close to ready yet. I would assume Jake L. comes in. The early 04s are technically of age to come in, that would include Spicer as well. Ausmus has always been more of an offensive Dman but his numbers aren't that great this year (so far), I would assume he'd want to play another year of juniors. Blake will be coming in I would hope, that seems fairly obvious to me.

46 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hellsten not getting a look yet is no concern to me. Why? He's been listed as the backup every night, not Feeney, not Johnson. 

Since they haven't seen game action, that is based purely on practice.   Practice and game duty can be night and day, as to performance.  I wouldn't feel that comfortable with UND having little to no game experience going into next year.  I would guess we will see Hellsten at some point, hopefully with some pressure filled moments.