SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Big get for the boys.  Halliday is a top notch recruit. Bubs is on a nice streak lately.

Great get. Well done Berry and Co

"Proud to announce my commitment to play D1 hockey at the University of North Dakota," "Thank you to all my friends, family and past coaches for helping me this far #gohawks."

http://inforum.com/sports/hockey/4482730-und-hockey-lands-no-1-ushl-draft-choice

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, burd said:

The recruiting part is great, but they have to get here first.  Something that is a little out of Bubs' control.

Feels like it's been a while since we've lost someone *knock wood*, but this is a fair point. My guess is the team keeps recruiting these guys until they come to campus.

47 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Can someone put this in perspective for me. Obviously a few years away from this kid's NHL draft but what round would he be projected in. Actually, what rounds are all of the players in that class projected at. Sounds like a loaded class.

I've been told he's a bigger get than Rizzo. Being a No. 1 overall pick in the USHL has a big pedigree and has produced a lot of first rounders.

Poehling, Tufte, currently. Past -- Patty Kane, Jimmy Hayes, Nate Schmidt, Jaden Schwartz. I'm pretty sure Halliday will be a first rounder. His numbers are great and his size.... 6'3 220 at 16?!.... you kiddin' me? :)

Kleven is a first round type, Sanderson, Reid, Miller and Kunz will likely get drafted. Bowen, too. 

The Schwartz brothers were recruited by UND but ended up committing to CC because they were one of the first schools to show interest. As happy as I was to have them at CC can you imagine those UND teams in 2011 and 2012 with them on it? That would’ve been sweet. 

Had this kid pegged as Michigan or BC. Did a double take to see if it was the same kid I was thinking of when word got out. Major recruiting coup. Hoping Schloss can get the list of other schools that offered when he interviews him.

Rizzo was on our radar for a while (even before playing at Penticton), and it felt like only a matter of time until he committed. This was out of left field (for fans anyways). Wonder if Drake is upping our appeal in Toronto.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Had this kid pegged as Michigan or BC. Did a double take to see if it was the same kid I was thinking of when word got out. Major recruiting coup. Hoping Schloss can get the list of other schools that offered when he interviews him.

Rizzo was on our radar for a while (even before playing at Penticton), and it felt like only a matter of time until he committed. This was out of left field (for fans anyways). Wonder if Drake is upping our appeal in Toronto.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I had heard his name many times, but never really around here. Good stuff. Good, good stuff.

8 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Not saying it's not off the table, but his comments mirror every single player in his position (Drafted by Major Junior team / considering college), when giving interviews after they drafted. I wouldn't look into that at all. Since that article came out him (1) Going #1 and committing to USHL (2) Committing to a school are a lot more telling.

Edit: Really happy he wasn't drafted by London though!

• Upvote 2

What was the name of the kid who pulled the plug on us a few years back in August of the year he was supposed to come and left Hak trying to find a kid to replace him.  I think this kid went almost straight to the NHL.  And who was the kid from Minn (I think Edina or someplace around there) that Hak recruited?  

2 minutes ago, dden3 said:

What was the name of the kid who pulled the plug on us a few years back in August of the year he was supposed to come and left Hak trying to find a kid to replace him.  I think this kid went almost straight to the NHL.  And who was the kid from Minn (I think Edina or someplace around there) that Hak recruited?  

JT Miller, would have been a freshman the same year as Grimaldi, Gaarder replaced him.

9 minutes ago, dden3 said:

That was because the Rangers signed him so he was no longer eligible. It sucked mainly because that year was the injury-plagued season. Gaarder scored in multiple frozen four games and had the double OT goal against Ferris though, he's a Sioux legend in my book.  Will take that any day over a one and done.

Brad with a great breakdown of UND Recruit destinations for 2018-19:

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=113053

What I find amazing is of the 18 current recruits UND has, only two recruits who have graduated High School (both +1), everyone else is either a Senior in HS this year or younger. There's going to be a lot of junior experience in this group as well. Happy that Schmaltz and Pinto are both playing for their respective USHL teams.

*Anyone know if anything happened to Stratton (WHL guy who played BCHL), Brad didn't include him on the list and he's also not listed on Heisenberg's site.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits