SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, tnt said:

If Blaisdell is drafted high that most certainly would be a no brainer bringing him in, but that will probably be contingent on taking a step forward in production now that he is a little older.  It will be interesting to see how many points he puts up this year compared to Rizzo. 

True, but Blaisdell played on a pretty bad (regular season team) whereas Penticton is always loaded.  You're right though, we'll see how they do this year.

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Defenseman != Forward 

Shaw is a senior. One defense slot will open. Then there is Poolman; his brother left after three seasons. The next question becomes does Johnson move back up front (Shaw's roster slot) to re-open that slot at forward? 

Now you can ponder forwards. Three seniors (Gardner, Janatuinen, Jones). Then ask the Johnson question again: fourth slot up front? Then ask: other departures? I don't see Yon, Bowen, Smith, or Hoff jumping ship and missing a senior year. So ask if there's a flight risk amongst Kawaguchi, Adams, or Mismash. I could see up to five open slots at forward. Not saying I know anything, I'm just saying five wouldn't be out of the question (seniors, Johnson moved back to D, one guy decides to leave). 

When I look at my roster and recruit tracking I see a recruit name next to every current roster senior, junior, and sophomore D (six for six). I see the same at forward ... plus two extras (meaning recruit names for two current freshmen). Yes, 13 recruits line up for the present 15 forwards. 

I'd say Berry & Company have their pipeline set and defined for skaters. 

What I don't see is goalie Anderson's replacement. I'm wondering if the coaches are holding off on deciding if they recruit another "puck eater" (goalie for practice) like Anderson or waiting to see if Thome and Scheel can shoulder the load (meaning do they have to try to find a potential starter). 

I see.  Too early for me to start lining those dots up already....trying to get ready for the boys to win  9 .

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

True, but Blaisdell played on a pretty bad (regular season team) whereas Penticton is always loaded.  You're right though, we'll see how they do this year.

That can work both ways.  If you get a lot of ice time, you have more chance to score if you are talented.  Also, guys like Jackson Keane might not see as much ice time because there is so much talent on Penticton.  Is Rizzo's draft year next year as well?  Blaisdell must have a lot of talent if he is mentioned and Rizzo isn't, if that is the case. 

29 minutes ago, tnt said:

That can work both ways.  If you get a lot of ice time, you have more chance to score if you are talented.  Also, guys like Jackson Keane might not see as much ice time because there is so much talent on Penticton.  Is Rizzo's draft year next year as well?  Blaisdell must have a lot of talent if he is mentioned and Rizzo isn't, if that is the case. 

Per Brad's blog...

Massimo Rizzo, forward
Penticton Vees (BCHL).
Hometown: Burnaby, B.C.
First-year NHL Draft eligible: 2019.

33 minutes ago, tnt said:

True....good players find a way through though.  As far as Blaisdell goes....he must be more talented than his numbers lead to believe.  Multiple scouts have him ranked pretty high.  I saw him right in the 40's....a spot or two above Caulfield.  I was shocked...didn't see Rizzo make the top 65.

You also can carry an extra player on the bench during games starting this year, so that could add an extra person to the size of the roster.  Too many times, UND has already had difficulty filling out a full lineup of healthy players so bringing in an extra guy a year knowing an extra guy will be able to play each game has to be in their minds.

5 hours ago, southpaw said:

You also can carry an extra player on the bench during games starting this year, so that could add an extra person to the size of the roster.  Too many times, UND has already had difficulty filling out a full lineup of healthy players so bringing in an extra guy a year knowing an extra guy will be able to play each game has to be in their minds.

This is going to be a very interesting change.  Makes those players who can flip F and D and battling for spot extra valuable. 

It will be interesting to see how Berry and the rest of college hockey use it this year.  

I say, dress that 4th practice Goalie ;)

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Dane Montgomery
Proud and honored to announce my commitment to play college hockey at The University of North Dakota, thank you to everyone who has helped me get to where i am!
http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4493523-grand-forks-native-dane-montgomery-commits-und

Great - lets continue to load up.  Good to get a local kid with skills

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Big Lubowski said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but is there a place where I can find out who our committed recruits are for 2018, 2019, etc? I thought wiki showed that but it only goes thru 2015. Thanks for any help. 

Schlossman's blog shows all the recruits and their birth years, I believe, but for a lot of them, it's not yet decided when they're coming in.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realize the Canadian Junior leagues started so early, USHL regular season starts on Thursday.

BCHL

Blaisdell '01 (F): 4-4-8 (7GP)

Rizzo '01 (F): 0-0-0 (1GP)

Stratton '99 (F): 2-4-6 (6GP)

Bowen '02 (F): 3-2-5 (7GP)

AJHL

Bast '00 (D): 1-4-5 (5GP)

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Didn't realize the Canadian Junior leagues started so early, USHL regular season starts on Thursday.

BCHL

Blaisdell '01 (F): 4-4-8 (7GP)

Rizzo '01 (F): 0-0-0 (1GP)

Stratton '99 (F): 2-4-6 (6GP)

Bowen '02 (F): 3-2-5 (7GP)

AJHL

Bast '00 (D): 1-4-5 (5GP)

Wonder if Rizzo is hurt or at some select camp or something.