SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

From Brad Schlossman's blog at http://undhockey.areavoices.com/ :

I have also updated the committed recruit list on the sidebar, removing Ryan Mantha and Luke Voltin from the list.

I haven’t had a chance to speak with Voltin, but he has been removed from UND’s list on Chris Heisenberg’s recruiting site. After checking with sources, it appears pretty certain that Voltin will end up playing somewhere else. Probably not a huge surprise. The Twin Cities continue to be real hit-and-miss for UND.

Also, I’m taking Mantha off the list because based on everything I’ve heard, there’s no reason to think that he will end up at UND. With his rights being traded in the OHL, it appears that the Niagara Ice Dogs are now the front-runners to pick him up.

Sad about Mantha; not surprised about Voltin; now, still wondering about Rowe.

In a USHL article from March, Poganski talked about wanting to come in and crack the lineup "next season", as a "true freshman". Sounds like that was always his plan, but it kind of flew under the radar here.

. With many players de committing or going elsewhere it's refreshing to hear a kid say he wants to crack the line up. Need more guys like Pogs.

Guy Flaming responded to someone with this "@fishfan51 he said. As of now still USHL/North Dakota but will talk to the team that drafts him."

Sounds like we need a new thread for "semi-committed" recruits or "committed recruits who will more than likely change their mind"...

Which reminds me...anyone else happy that Brendan Lemieux didn't wind up in a Sioux jersey? Yea, 27 goals for the Barrie Colts in the OHL would have been useful, but 145 PM's in 65 games? Yikes. Further proving he's a chip of the old block...

From Brad Schlossman's blog at http://undhockey.areavoices.com/ :

Sad about Mantha; not surprised about Voltin; now, still wondering about Rowe.

If Rowe doesn't get a shot, he has no one to blame but himself.

UND will have, I think, 6 senior forwards on the roster next season. That, together with a possible "one and done" situation with N. Schmaltz, means there are going to be a ton of forward positions open next fall. You figure Yon, Gardner, Gersich and Wilkie come in, and maybe Cakebread. Clearly a team with an open spot or two. As a 21 year old with a ton of time in the juniors, Rowe should have no excuses.

I also kind of like how old some of these "kids" are as they hit campus. Poolman, Olson and Simonson are all 21 already, and haven't played a game. Rowe would be 21 before he gets here. Cam Johnson turns 21 next summer.

There have been some eastern teams in recent years who have had a lot of success using less heralded recruits who are 25 by the time they are seniors. Plus, it has two side benefits. It aggravates rodent fans to the east, and reduces the risk of those pesky underage drinking issues. :lol:

Sounds like we need a new thread for "semi-committed" recruits or "committed recruits who will more than likely change their mind"...

Which reminds me...anyone else happy that Brendan Lemieux didn't wind up in a Sioux jersey? Yea, 27 goals for the Barrie Colts in the OHL would have been useful, but 145 PM's in 65 games? Yikes. Further proving he's a chip of the old block...

If I was on the coaching staff, I would pull his scholarship offer and give it to someone that wants to make a commitment to the program.

Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman had some nice things to say about UND's program

Bowman was pleased that Schmaltz will be taking the same development route as his captain.

“It worked out pretty good for Jonathan Toews,” Bowman said of playing at UND. “They’ve been a great college program for a while. Being in that conference and playing against top teams, he’s going to learn quickly to adjust to that. He’ll be playing against men. I think that’s great. It’s going to give him a chance to face top competition and we’re excited for that.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/nhl-draft-und-commit-schmaltz-selected-blackhawks

Great spot for nick! Big time talent. Round 2-7 starts in a hour or so. Should a few more drafted. Mantha technically but doubt he plays college

Poganski(St. Cloud/UND 14')

Gersich (Chaska/holyfamily, brottens nephew/UND 15')

Late round possibilities future sioux

Gardner

Yon

Wilkie

Mantha is gone, NYR has a strong preference for the CHL for some odd reason. Oh well

They do but they also have stepan and Kristo and others as Kreider so it's not all MJ guys. Just happens to be ours that bail ha. NHL owns CHL teams so there will always be stronger connection with some organizations. A few teams seem to lean the college route if not then 50/50

He has been gone for a while

School isn't for him oh well is right!

• Upvote 1

Mantha is gone, NYR has a strong preference for the CHL for some odd reason. Oh well

You're wrong. I don't believe the NYR have a strong preference for the CHL over the NCAA. I doubt his decision had nothing to do with the Rangers putting any pressure on him. I suspect he'd prefer to be at UND but sometimes it just can't work out.

You're wrong. I don't believe the NYR have a strong preference for the CHL over the NCAA. I doubt his decision had nothing to do with the Rangers putting any pressure on him. I suspect he'd prefer to be at UND but sometimes it just can't work out.

If he preferred to be at UND he would be at UND. Most knew when he said he would let whatever team drafted him decide his next step that it was just a convenient way for him to say he was going to the CHL. I agree with what others have already said and that is as soon as he was wavering on his commitment his scholarship offer shoulda been pulled and I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

If he preferred to be at UND he would be at UND.

No he wouldn't. There are a lot of hockey players who would prefer to be at UND but their not. There are a lot of hockey players that would prefer to be at Boston College, Michigan or Wisconsin, but their not. Just because a player would prefer to be at any of these schools doesn't mean he will be.

No he wouldn't. There are a lot of hockey players who would prefer to be at UND but their not. There are a lot of hockey players that would prefer to be at Boston College, Michigan or Wisconsin, but their not. Just because a player would prefer to be at any of these schools doesn't mean he will be.

Yes he would since he had a scholarship offer and had committed. Yeah there are a lot of hockey players who would like to be at certain schools and they're not but the reason for that is usually that they don't have an offer to that school. Whether Mantha thought there was a better option or not is up to him but if he really wanted to he could have been at UND for the 15-16 season.