SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

It's is really hard to coach 6'3"...

One thing that we have been missing the last few years is a legit power forward, so this is a nice pickup.

From what I've seen from him so far he has the long lanky kinda Brock Nelson like look but he doesn't have that pure goal scorer and really high end skill just yet. Not trying to compare him to Nelson but that is who he reminded me a little but more so in look and body type rather than the same skills.

A write up on him here.

21. 98 D Matt Kiersted ā€“ Elk River ā€“ 5ā€™10 ā€“ 155

A lot of the MN-born 98s were knocking on the door of cracking this list, and will in the next round, but Kiersted oozes confidence and has had the steepest developmental curve of the age group. Mobile, capable defender with serious offensive faculties looks like an upcoming star for the aptly-named Elks.

Another commit from Elk River

https://twitter.com/...620896925372416

Over The Boards ā€@OTBPuckWatch 3m

98 D Matt Kiersted (Elk River) commits to North Dakota. 5'11 skater is a natural offensive force on the blue, had 21 points in 24 HS games.

Over The Boards ā€@OTBPuckWatch 39s

Our #24 uncommitted prospect this winter, Kiersted improved noticeably in every zone and earned an NTDP camp invite. Another top MN 98 goes.

Tucker Poolman had a goal and an assist last night going +2 and 9 SOG. Trevor Olson had a goal on one shot staying even with 4 PIMs.

Ryan Mantha was scratched and Nick Schmaltz stayed even with 15 PIMs.

Zach Yon was -3 with no points and 2 SOG

Another commit from Elk River

From Brad's blog:

ā€œEver since Iā€™ve been a little kid, Iā€™ve always dreamed of going to North Dakota and playing for the Sioux,ā€ Kiersted said. ā€œWhen I played for the Minnesota Machine, we would go up to Winnipeg and play and weā€™d always stop on the way in Grand Forks and get a tour of the arena. I fell in love with the town and the school ever since then.ā€

I absolutely love this and I love this kid already. I hope he wears letter one day. Sounds like a kid who's gonna bleed green and really wants to be here.

From Coooop: ;-D LET"S GO SIOOOUX!

Kiersted & Mattson are invited to the 2014 NTDP U-17 team tryout camp: (http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2014/03/11/2014-ntdp-tryout-camp-roster-announced/)

Kiersted:

Feb 2014 Uncommitted Prospects Report: (http://overtheboards.net/uncommitted-mnhs-prospects-2014/)

#5: 98 D Matt Kiersted ā€“ Elk River; Height: 5ā€™10, Weight: 155

Slick defender is money in the offensive zone, all business with sharp stick-work and intuitive skating ability allowing him to get into the ideal spots to contribute. The rest of his game is coming along, but heā€™s coming on strong in the second half of the season, with 13 important points in 13 games as the mid-season departure of forward Andrew Zerban left a void in the Elks offensive assault. Should Kiersted stick around next season, heā€™ll likely be looked to in an even bigger role as the Elks have a stellar group of young forwards coming up from the Bantam ranks.

Oct 2013 Elite D League Scoreboard: "Matt Kiersted, a sophomore defenseman from Elk River, scored a hat trick in the Elite D all-starsā€™ 5-5 tie with Great Plains on Saturday. ā€œIt was a great opportunity,ā€ Kiersted said. ā€œWe figured they were going to underestimate us. So we just came out with fire and tried to get pucks to the net.ā€ (https://mnhockeycoach.sportngin.com/news_article/show/299430?referrer_id=672819)

After June 2013 Select 15 Festival: "On defense, there's a lot of very good players, but not necessarily any surefire pro prospects beyond Lindgren. Next best to me would be Elk River's Matt Kiersted, who has one of the quickest first steps I've seen".

(http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/western-college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2013/6/13/4424478/minnesota-select-15-festival-report)

Mattson: After June 2013 Select 15 Festival: "Mattson - Grand Rapids. Big and elusive. Will become hard to knock off puck. ..The other would be Grand Rapids bantam forward Mitch Mattson, a tall skinny kid with nice hands and a very fluid skater for a tall kid of that age, they usually have that kind of gangly, new-born-colt look at that age when they are tall".

(http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11878)

From Coooop: ;-D LET"S GO SIOOOUX!

Kiersted & Mattson are invited to the 2014 NTDP U-17 team tryout camp: (http://unitedstateso...ster-announced/)

Kiersted:

Feb 2014 Uncommitted Prospects Report: (http://overtheboards...prospects-2014/)

#5: 98 D Matt Kiersted ā€“ Elk River; Height: 5ā€™10, Weight: 155

Slick defender is money in the offensive zone, all business with sharp stick-work and intuitive skating ability allowing him to get into the ideal spots to contribute. The rest of his game is coming along, but heā€™s coming on strong in the second half of the season, with 13 important points in 13 games as the mid-season departure of forward Andrew Zerban left a void in the Elks offensive assault. Should Kiersted stick around next season, heā€™ll likely be looked to in an even bigger role as the Elks have a stellar group of young forwards coming up from the Bantam ranks.

Oct 2013 Elite D League Scoreboard: "Matt Kiersted, a sophomore defenseman from Elk River, scored a hat trick in the Elite D all-starsā€™ 5-5 tie with Great Plains on Saturday. ā€œIt was a great opportunity,ā€ Kiersted said. ā€œWe figured they were going to underestimate us. So we just came out with fire and tried to get pucks to the net.ā€ (https://mnhockeycoac...errer_id=672819)

After June 2013 Select 15 Festival: "On defense, there's a lot of very good players, but not necessarily any surefire pro prospects beyond Lindgren. Next best to me would be Elk River's Matt Kiersted, who has one of the quickest first steps I've seen".

(http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/western-college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2013/6/13/4424478/minnesota-select-15-festival-report)

Mattson: After June 2013 Select 15 Festival: "Mattson - Grand Rapids. Big and elusive. Will become hard to knock off puck. ..The other would be Grand Rapids bantam forward Mitch Mattson, a tall skinny kid with nice hands and a very fluid skater for a tall kid of that age, they usually have that kind of gangly, new-born-colt look at that age when they are tall".

(http://www.gopherpuc...php?f=9&t=11878)

Who wants to bet the rodent fans will say they never wanted them?

Nice get and had a feeling we might be able to land him as I believe his sister committed to play volleyball at UND earlier this year. He was a Soph. at Grand Rapids this year and had 37 points this year, bigger forward at 6'3 right now.

I agree. Even though his choice may have been dictated in part by a family connection, it would be nice to get a toehold into the Grand Rapids recruiting market. Pretty solid hockey program, and candidly one in which we haven't nabbed a notable player since Jon Casey.

I hope the kid progresses as he ages and becomes a force for Grand Rapids, and later for us.

I agree. Even though his choice may have been dictated in part by a family connection, it would be nice to get a toehold into the Grand Rapids recruiting market. Pretty solid hockey program, and candidly one in which we haven't nabbed a notable player since Jon Casey.

I hope the kid progresses as he ages and becomes a force for Grand Rapids, and later for us.

Who has come out of Grand Rapids for anyone in the 10 years or so?

Herter played 8 years for a top farm league (AHL and IHL) and was initially signed by the Canucks organization.

White never got a contract in North America.

I count seven years. I guess he was the player to be named later. But he did play one game in the NHL. Going over their (Canucks) first round picks over the last 15 years I found only three players who ever helped them. The Sedin brothers and Ryan Kesler. Only one other pick of theirs in that time did much and that was Ryan Kessler. Though he never signed with the Canucks. Is this common? 15 picks and end up with three players?

I count seven years. I guess he was the player to be named later. But he did play one game in the NHL. Going over their (Canucks) first round picks over the last 15 years I found only three players who ever helped them. The Sedin brothers and Ryan Kesler. Only one other pick of theirs in that time did much and that was Ryan Kessler. Though he never signed with the Canucks. Is this common? 15 picks and end up with three players?

It goes back 25 years, but Trevor Linden was a great pick

In 1988 the debate was who to pick- Modano or Linden with the #1 overall

They both had great years in the WHL...very similar stats...very similar physically...6'4 vs 6'3, 200 or so with room to fill out.

Modano was faster, Linden was tougher in the corners

Linden had led his team to the Memorial Cup

Modano had a ridiculous highlight reel

Linden ended up being a fixture for some great cup runs for the Canucks along side Courtnall and Bure

Modano won the cup and became the top US born scorer of all-time

Linden with 375 goals and 867 points playing 20 seasons

Modano with 561 goals and 1374 points and a Cup playing 22 seasons

Modano obviously the better pick in retrospect, but if you get Linden in the 1st round, you are thrilled

In 1988 the debate was who to pick- Modano or Linden with the #1 overall

They both had great years in the WHL...very similar stats...very similar physically...6'4 vs 6'3, 200 or so with room to fill out.

Modano was faster, Linden was tougher in the corners

Linden had led his team to the Memorial Cup

Modano had a ridiculous highlight reel

Linden ended up being a fixture for some great cup runs for the Canucks along side Courtnall and Bure

Modano won the cup and became the top US born scorer of all-time

Linden with 375 goals and 867 points playing 20 seasons

Modano with 561 goals and 1374 points and a Cup playing 22 seasons

Modano obviously the better pick in retrospect, but if you get Linden in the 1st round, you are thrilled

Did Linden play right away unlike Modano? When the North Stars made their Stanley Cup run in 1991 it was funny how many North Star fans thought he was Canadian. I might him in 1991 outside a clothing store in the Uptown neighborhood. Really nice kid at the time. I did not ask him about the NHL at all. I asked him how old was he when he went to Prince Albert and what playing in the W was like. He seemed to like being asked that and we talked about the W for over a half an hour.

Did Linden play right away unlike Modano? When the North Stars made their Stanley Cup run in 1991 it was funny how many North Star fans thought he was Canadian. I might him in 1991 outside a clothing store in the Uptown neighborhood. Really nice kid at the time. I did not ask him about the NHL at all. I asked him how old was he when he went to Prince Albert and what playing in the W was like. He seemed to like being asked that and we talked about the W for over a half an hour.

Linden played right away and scored 30 goals as an 18 year old. Modano scored 29 as a 19 year old.