SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Per twitter, Mantha is close to signing with the Ice Dogs

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/junior-hockey/2014/6/30/5857016/new-york-rangers-pick-ryan-mantha-close-to-signing-in-ohl-north-dakota-recruit

A New York Rangers source indicated that academics were prohibiting the Clarkston, Mich. native from passing through the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Maybe that's what Rick is referring to.

• Upvote 1

Per twitter, Mantha is close to signing with the Ice Dogs

http://www.sbncolleg...-dakota-recruit

Maybe that's what Rick is referring to.

Right when I read Mantha may be heading North I was kind of t'd off simply knowing that we may lose Schmaltz after this year and the fact that it never hurts to have too many defensemen. Then I started to think unbiasedly and realized this kid needs to work on parts of his game that are tough to work on at the college level, his O game. He is probably better off going to the OHL where kids will be less mature, giving him the oppurtunity to play in more situations earlier. Either, way I seriously doubt he was going to make an impact before his junior year and this kid appears to think he's a first rounder....no big deal.

After reading about his lack of intelligence, it's all coming together. This kid simply doesn't fit the college mold. It's pretty tough not to get into UND (no disrespect, great school).

Schlossman's AreaVoices blog has the same angle regarding Mantha:

As previously stated, I’m no longer listing Ryan Mantha as a recruit, no matter which team drafts him (it was the New York Rangers in the fourth round). The reason: According to multiple sources, he’s an academic casualty. The school raised its admission standards a couple years ago and it will ding the big defenseman.

http://undhockey.areavoices.com

I'm guessing Rick knew that but was being polite in not stating the specific reason. (Holy crap! I just used "Rick" and "polite" in the same sentence! :crazy::lol: )

After reading about his lack of intelligence, it's all coming together. This kid simply doesn't fit the college mold. It's pretty tough not to get into UND (no disrespect, great school).

This is really a stupid comment. (no disrespect) :silly:

This is really a stupid comment. (no disrespect) :silly:

Nice thanks. What I meant was high school is not all that challenging and average high school grades can get a student into UND. That is a fact. An NCAA program shouldn't be wasting their time with way below average students….as school is the other side of the equation here. UND isn't UNC.

The older I get the fewer assumptions I make about what other people are and aren't/should and shouldn't be capable of. Typically hidden from us are the details of a person's life that better inform us about their present situation.

Doesn't mean I don't forget this at times. But I do it less often than when I was younger and smarter than everyone.

• Upvote 4

The older I get the fewer assumptions I make about what other people are and aren't/should and shouldn't be capable of. Typically hidden from us are the details of a person's life that better inform us about their present situation.

Doesn't mean I don't forget this at times. But I do it less often than when I was younger and smarter than everyone.

Very well put Dagies. Isn't that what I said? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

UND commits at USA U16 Festival.

44. Mitchell Mattson (#8 Royal) 6-3/185 Grand Rapids High School(North Dakota) - Big forward who used his strength to win one-on-one battles for the puck. He was good on face-offs here and could become more of a threat as he realizes he can use his body more to have an impact on the scoresheet.

1. Matthew Kiersted (#4 Grey) 5-11/165 Elk River High School (North Dakota) - He stood out immediately, but I liked his game more and more as the week went along. He has good poise, vision and always has his head up. He was physical when he needed to be and pushed opposing forwards wide in his own zone.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2014/7/15/5896219/usa-hockey-select-16-festival-player-rankings-top-98s

UND commits at USA U16 Festival.

44. Mitchell Mattson(#8 Royal) 6-3/185 Grand Rapids High School(North Dakota) - Big forward who used his strength to win one-on-one battles for the puck. He was good on face-offs here and could become more of a threat as he realizes he can use his body more to have an impact on the scoresheet.

1. Matthew Kiersted(#4 Grey) 5-11/165 Elk River High School (North Dakota) - He stood out immediately, but I liked his game more and more as the week went along. He has good poise, vision and always has his head up. He was physical when he needed to be and pushed opposing forwards wide in his own zone.

http://www.sbncolleg...ankings-top-98s

So, M. Kiersted was the #1 ranked D-man at the Select 16 tournament? That is pretty exciting!

• 2 weeks later...

Think we all knew it was going to happen but Ryan Mantha signed with Niagara is official

Ryan Mantha@RMantha410 hrs

Extremely excited to be part of the Niagara Ice dogs @OHLIceDogs

Good for him... There are many others that will play for UND that are fully committed to the program.

Good for him... There are many others that will play for UND that are fully committed to the program.

Wasn't the main issue that he wasn't going to qualify based on his academics?  Even if he was committed to playing at UND (unknown) it wouldn't have mattered?

Think we all knew it was going to happen but Ryan Mantha signed with Niagara is official

Ryan Mantha‏@RMantha410 hrs

Extremely excited to be part of the Niagara Ice dogs @OHLIceDogs

I wish the kid the best. He needed to work on his O game, that wasn't going to happen at the college level...at least not at the speed he wanted to develop. We'll find someone else to do what he would have done for UND

Wasn't the main issue that he wasn't going to qualify based on his academics?  Even if he was committed to playing at UND (unknown) it wouldn't have mattered?

I understand that, but he should have been more upfront with that. In my opinion, he looked like he was stringing everyone along or trying to save face.

That being said, UND is better served with recruits/players that are committed to the program. Last year after Tambo left, the team didn't miss a beat, nor seemed to miss him.