SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

This probably should go here. Anyone know who this is?

Hockey Commitments (@hockeycommits)

4/23/14, 10:25 AM

Matthew Kiersted (Elk River HS) has committed to the University of North Dakota for 2016-2017

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2014/4/19/5631812/matt-kiersted-commits-to-north-dakota

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we could lose another one before he even gets to campus but if that is the way he really feels than I'm not sure he really belongs here.

Mike Morreale ā€@mikemorrealeNHL 17m

Def Ryan Mantha of Indiana Ice (@USHL) said whichever team drafts him will determine his fate: Either the UofNorth Dakota or Sault St. Marie

Over The Boards ā€@OTBPuckWatch 11m

North Dakota recruit Ryan Mantha says he'll take the CHL route if the NHL team that drafts him dictates as such. H/T @mikemorrealeNHL

Looks like we could lose another one before he even gets to campus but if that is the way he really feels than I'm not sure he really belongs here.

Mike Morreale ā€@mikemorrealeNHL 17m

Def Ryan Mantha of Indiana Ice (@USHL) said whichever team drafts him will determine his fate: Either the UofNorth Dakota or Sault St. Marie

Over The Boards ā€@OTBPuckWatch 11m

North Dakota recruit Ryan Mantha says he'll take the CHL route if the NHL team that drafts him dictates as such. H/T @mikemorrealeNHL

Great mindset. However, when trying to think about it from an unbiased point of view, the CHL would probably help a guy like him. He needs major work on his offensive game, his size is not the problem. similar to that mccaron (wmu) guy from last year. I hate that he came out and said it though. I'm guessing the fact he has to wait another year has something to do with this.

Great mindset. However, when trying to think about it from an unbiased point of view, the CHL would probably help a guy like him. He needs major work on his offensive game, his size is not the problem. similar to that mccaron (wmu) guy from last year. I hate that he came out and said it though. I'm guessing the fact he has to wait another year has something to do with this.

Yes. But, what do you do? We'll be fine and yes, he will end up at SSM. Close to home (relatively) no homework...

Gotta think having Berry on the staff will help sway an NHL team to lean towards UND.

• Upvote 1

Gotta think having Berry on the staff will help sway an NHL team to lean towards UND.

Potentially, problem is the nhl had a financial interest in the CHL and they have much more leverage in their draftees if they go the CHL route. From the NCAA perspective, it's an uphill battle.

What does Brad Berry bring to the table that Joe Cirella in SSM doesn't?

He did play quite a bit with his uncle, Moe Mantha, in Winnipeg, but don't think that would have any bearing on his decision. Just trying to think if there were some other defensemen whose names were thrown around that we didn't have room for next year. I would have no problem with exploring other options if he is on the bubble.

That's another thing many college hockey fans (including myself for quite a long time) don't fully understand. Many times the coaches/gms for these CHL team have very deep resumes. Most played in the nhl for quite a long time. Berry is solid but the CHL has quite a few berrys. Dale hunter is the coach in London, I think I just saw that Scott walker was the coach of Guelph (could be wrong about that however).

That's another thing many college hockey fans (including myself for quite a long time) don't fully understand. Many times the coaches/gms for these CHL team have very deep resumes. Most played in the nhl for quite a long time. Berry is solid but the CHL has quite a few berrys. Dale hunter is the coach in London, I think I just saw that Scott walker was the coach of Guelph (could be wrong about that however).

Yeah, I would like to play for one of the dirtiest players to ever play in the NHL. I am not sure if you realize how respected Hakstol is by the NHL coaches and the great hockey minds north of the border and in hockey in general. He's on XM Radio all of the time. Dave and his staff have a lot of credibility. So, when top recruits commit here, I think we can say that's part of their decision process. I don't think we can discount that. If I am not mistaken, Hak was on HNIC radio last week.

Yeah, I would like to play for one of the dirtiest players to ever play in the NHL. I am not sure if you realize how respected Hakstol is by the NHL coaches and the great hockey minds north of the border and in hockey in general. He's on XM Radio all of the time. Dave and his staff have a lot of credibility. So, when top recruits commit here, I think we can say that's part of their decision process. I don't think we can discount that. If I am not mistaken, Hak was on HNIC radio last week.

I completely agree with you. I was simply noting the CHL coaches have very deep resumes themselves.

Cirella in SSM must be well respected by nhl GM too, correct? I would think he knows a thing or two about playing in the show. Im guessing guys like that may be able to pass along some meaningful knowledge....don't ya think?

I completely agree with you. I was simply noting the CHL coaches have very deep resumes themselves.

Cirella in SSM must be well respected by nhl GM too, correct? I would think he knows a thing or two about playing in the show. Im guessing guys like that may be able to pass along some meaningful knowledge....don't ya think?

I would be more worried if the Windsor Spitfires or London Knight's had his rights.

I know we've beaten the CHL vs college debate to death (and will continue to do so), but I read a blog the other day in which a former CHL coach explained the numerous benefits of kids going the college route. It was a very interesting piece. I'll see if I can go back and find the link.

I know we've beaten the CHL vs college debate to death (and will continue to do so), but I read a blog the other day in which a former CHL coach explained the numerous benefits of kids going the college route. It was a very interesting piece. I'll see if I can go back and find the link.

I believe this is the article you're talking about?

College Hockey, Inc. tweeted this a yesterday:

Confessions Of A Junior Hockey Coach ā€“ The NCAA Advantage http://wp.me/p34PXy-6W3

I will never understand why kids just don't stay uncommitted until they make up their mind. I will also never understand how willingly these kids are going back on a commitment.

Yesterday morning, I got asked to be on a crappy co-ed softball team. Having no other option before me, I agreed. Then, yesterday afternoon, I got asked to be on the best co-ed softball team in the league. And, as much as it pains me, I'm playing on the crappy team, because I think giving your word means something. That being said, if I still live here next year, I'm totally abandoning ship.

I realize that my future career doesn't depend on my softball team, but the number of commitment changes (not just at UND) drives me nuts. And yes, this includes Jason Gregoire and other players who were originally committed somewhere else. The lone exception would be a coaching change (*cough* CC *cough*). It just gives me a whole new level of respect for Seth Jones and how he handled himself throughout that entire process.

• Upvote 3

I will never understand why kids just don't stay uncommitted until they make up their mind. I will also never understand how willingly these kids are going back on a commitment.

Yesterday morning, I got asked to be on a crappy co-ed softball team. Having no other option before me, I agreed. Then, yesterday afternoon, I got asked to be on the best co-ed softball team in the league. And, as much as it pains me, I'm playing on the crappy team, because I think giving your word means something. That being said, if I still live here next year, I'm totally abandoning ship.

I realize that my future career doesn't depend on my softball team, but the number of commitment changes (not just at UND) drives me nuts. And yes, this includes Jason Gregoire and other players that were originally committed somewhere else. The lone exception would be a coaching change (*cough* CC *cough*). It just gives me a whole new level of respect for Seth Jones and how he handled himself throughout that entire process.

I completely agree with you on the Seth Jones comment. I also appreciated how he handled the situation. The difference is probably that Seth Jones was a lotto pick where every team in US and Canada will hold their breath for him. I don't think UND would hold their breath for Mantha. Had he not committed last year....they simply would have found some other kid. Mantha doesn't have that kind of pull.