SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I wish the kid the best. He needed to work on his O game, that wasn't going to happen at the college level...at least not at the speed he wanted to develop. We'll find someone else to do what he would have done for UND

If he'd qualified academically, you don't think Mantha would develop under Berry and Hak? I am just wondering, since Hak and company are highly regarded by the NHL coaches. 

If he'd qualified academically, you don't think Mantha would develop under Berry and Hak? I am just wondering, since Hak and company are highly regarded by the NHL coaches. 

What I meant was this kid obviously wants to develop very fast (probably too fast if you ask me) and he probably wouldn't have played much at UND until his junior year.  He'll get PP time in the O, you think he would have ever sniffed our PP?  Not a chance. :)

I understand that, but he should have been more upfront with that. In my opinion, he looked like he was stringing everyone along or trying to save face.

That being said, UND is better served with recruits/players that are committed to the program. Last year after Tambo left, the team didn't miss a beat, nor seemed to miss him.  

Did he know that he wasn't going to qualify academically?  Had he qualified and then backed out, I can see the criticism being warranted.  But if he was hoping to qualify academically and keeping Niagara as a back-up in case he didn't, tough to fault him for that.  Sounds like the coaching staff had known for a while that he wasn't coming even though it wasn't official until recently so not sold on the face that he was stringing everyone along.

I understand that, but he should have been more upfront with that. In my opinion, he looked like he was stringing everyone along or trying to save face.

That being said, UND is better served with recruits/players that are committed to the program. Last year after Tambo left, the team didn't miss a beat, nor seemed to miss him.  

If it's a qualifying thing, and sounds like it was, my guess is the coaching staff is up to speed on that status throughout the process.  We may not have been informed (I can't imagine why?) but I'll bet it wasn't a surprise inside the program.

• 4 weeks later...

More on Mark Senden

Over The Boards@OTBPuckWatch 7m

98 F Mark Senden (Wayzata) commits to North Dakota. Another Trojan goes D1. Heavy shot and power game, made USA 5 Nations team in summer.

Over The Boards@OTBPuckWatch 6m

Senden had 19 pts in 25 games last season for Wayzata, posted a 2-3-5 line overseas with USA's 5 Nations team.

I am sure we will hear how the Gophers didn't want him.

From what I have read, he doesn't look to be a high-end guy, so who knows what they need to fill out their roster.  Maybe they already have guys that they think will fulfill certain roles. 

From what I have read, he doesn't look to be a high-end guy, so who knows what they need to fill out their roster.  Maybe they already have guys that they think will fulfill certain roles. 

Ha! Yeah, I had never heard of the kid until yesterday.

From what I have read, he doesn't look to be a high-end guy, so who knows what they need to fill out their roster. Maybe they already have guys that they think will fulfill certain roles.

If he played for the US U17 team, he's one of the better players in his age group, so he's no slouch either.

If he played for the US U17 team, he's one of the better players in his age group, so he's no slouch either.

True, just reading that some have him pegged as a third or fourth line guy.Then again, some are no better at evaluation than the average fan, and don't allow for the possibility that they develop better over the next few years than others.

I am sure we will hear how the Gophers didn't want him.

My guess is they probably had some light interest.  MN has a tendency to recruit fewer of the grinder type of players this kid sounds like.  Really just comes down to a style of coaching.

Sounds like he should be a good fit for us.