SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Didn't there use to be a rule that if you came in beyond a certain age that you only had three years of eligibility?

.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

14.2.3.5 Participation after 21st Birthday - Any participation as an individual or a team representative in organized sports competition by a student during each 12-month period after the student's 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time enrollment in a collegiate institution shall count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services shall be excepted.

To summarize the Five-Year rule, enrolling at college or university full time begins your five-year eligibility clock. For a player aiming at the NCAA, full-time enrolment could make them less attractive to schools/coaches recruiting future talent - by thus having less years to work with the player. For the most part, players that want to continue schooling while playing out their junior will attend as part-time students. This allows them to keep the edge on their studies while also being able to balance the rigors of playing junior hockey all the while keeping their NCAA eligibility intact.

The second rule above may or may not be an issue for some players. In some cases, a player will turn 21 during their last year of junior. If so, a player cannot continue playing once their 21st birthday occurs if they are inline for the NCAA the following season. If they do continue to play, the player will lose a year of eligibility - again something that most coaches aren't that keen on when recruiting a prospective athlete.

.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

14.2.3.5 Participation after 21st Birthday - Any participation as an individual or a team representative in organized sports competition by a student during each 12-month period after the student's 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time enrollment in a collegiate institution shall count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services shall be excepted.

To summarize the Five-Year rule, enrolling at college or university full time begins your five-year eligibility clock. For a player aiming at the NCAA, full-time enrolment could make them less attractive to schools/coaches recruiting future talent - by thus having less years to work with the player. For the most part, players that want to continue schooling while playing out their junior will attend as part-time students. This allows them to keep the edge on their studies while also being able to balance the rigors of playing junior hockey all the while keeping their NCAA eligibility intact.

The second rule above may or may not be an issue for some players. In some cases, a player will turn 21 during their last year of junior. If so, a player cannot continue playing once their 21st birthday occurs if they are inline for the NCAA the following season. If they do continue to play, the player will lose a year of eligibility - again something that most coaches aren't that keen on when recruiting a prospective athlete.

I think SCSU has one of these. Patrick Russell turned 21 in January.

EDIT: Never mind. This just means Russell in ineligible for a redshirt exemption because his 4 in 5 is now just a 4 in 4. That is, he has four years to complete four seasons of eligibility. So, no redshirt.

I wonder why Mantha just doesn't come out and say he's heading to the O rather than college. Everyone knows that's what is going to happen. Why this wait?

I'd laugh if he gets drafted by one of the few teams who really encourage players to take the time to develop in college. At this point, I think most of the fan base would rather just be done with him. I want a team of players who are absolutely committed to this program.

• Upvote 2

Thank you. Have a question? Ask the question here and you always get a great answer. Someone always seems to know.

Elite Prospects has Poganski listed as coming to UND for 2014-15 and Gersich for 2015-16. May or may not be an indication.

Thanks, pog should be a 3-4 rounder pick if to guess. Is he a power forward type?? Also was Mantha suppose to come in this or next year?? Thanks to anyone

That would be a shocker. He was one I though needed another year of juniors. Nice size though.

I would have thought so too. But with a relatively more experienced team he won't need to be a high level guy right away so he can develop some.

None of midco's broadcasts were. But there was plenty of away games and national games available with Fta. And maybe 3-4 other college hockey games each weekend.

That's interesting to know, my dad has one of those things still sitting in his yard. I remember helping him over the thing by hand to a different satellite.

That's interesting to know, my dad has one of those things still sitting in his yard. I remember helping him over the thing by hand to a different satellite.

Is it a big ugly dish(c band) or a smaller one less that 3 foot diameter(ku band)? I just have a small dish but with a big dish you can get a ton of the Alaska games on a western satellite.

There's still a few of us fta'ers on here that could probably help walk you through it to get some college hockey on it. Plus a ton of college basketball/football. He'd probably need a new receiver though to pick up the hd stuff.

I would have thought so too. But with a relatively more experienced team he won't need to be a high level guy right away so he can develop some.

There were definitely streaks of time where he was a solid player last year but there were also streaks where he had some pretty poor numbers. The jump from the USHL to the nchc will be tough. But sitting on a third line may benefit him. I just hope he doesn't get scratched all season long when he could be developing his top six potential in tri city. I am not opposed to bringing him in and I have no idea who else they would bring in.

Thanks, pog should be a 3-4 rounder pick if to guess. Is he a power forward type?? Also was Mantha suppose to come in this or next year?? Thanks to anyone

When I watched him in the state tournament last year he had a power forward element but also had a good amount of skill. I know he isn't on the same level as Parks right now but that is kind of the type of player he has potential to be but maybe with a little more skill, I believe Mantha was supposed to come in next season but that is just by looking at how tough it would be for him to find ice time this season.