SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Nope, we didn't get that far into it. Once Blais came up, the subject turned to him being at the tourney and how we hadn't seen him yet, etc. Only talked to the Morellis for about 10 minutes, maybe 15. Did sound like Mason is probably playing another year of USHL before going to UNO, however.

If Blais only ends up coaching another year as some have suggested, is there a possibility if Morelli performs well he would say if Blais isn't going to be there he may reopen his recruitment? Seems like a free out if it came to that. Don't know if he has actually signed his LOI or not though.

Tucker Poolman goes +1 with 3 shots in the loss. Jack Rowe is even with 2 shots in the win.

Haydent Shaw gets a goal and 2 assists but is even with 4 shots. Cam Johnson stops 22 of 24 with the win. Johnson is 9-1-1 with a 1.77 GAA and 94.3 save percentage since moving to Waterloo.

Trevor Olson stays even with 1 shot and 12 penalty minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct.

John Simonson gets 2 goals on 3 shots going +3 and 2 PIMs in the loss. Nick Schmaltz gets 2 goals and an assist going +2 with 4 shots.

Austin Poganski gets an assist going +1 on 1 shot and 14 PIMs for checking from behind. Chris Wilkie stays even with 4 shots.

Christian Evers gets an assist going +3 in the loss.

Ryan Mantha gets an assist on 1 shot staying even.

Zach Yon gets an assist on the only goal for Bismarck. He goes -2 with one shot.

Tucker Poolman goes +1 with 3 shots in the loss. Jack Rowe is even with 2 shots in the win.

Haydent Shaw gets a goal and 2 assists but is even with 4 shots. Cam Johnson stops 22 of 24 with the win. Johnson is 9-1-1 with a 1.77 GAA and 94.3 save percentage since moving to Waterloo.

Trevor Olson stays even with 1 shot and 12 penalty minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct.

John Simonson gets 2 goals on 3 shots going +3 and 2 PIMs in the loss. Nick Schmaltz gets 2 goals and an assist going +2 with 4 shots.

Austin Poganski gets an assist going +1 on 1 shot and 14 PIMs for checking from behind. Chris Wilkie stays even with 4 shots.

Christian Evers gets an assist going +3 in the loss.

Ryan Mantha gets an assist on 1 shot staying even.

Zach Yon gets an assist on the only goal for Bismarck. He goes -2 with one shot.

Pretty nice night for some of them. I am extremely impressed with Simonson's season....his numbers are phenomenal.

Tucker Poolman gets an assist and goes +1 in the shootout loss to the USA U18's. Shane Gersich gets a goal and goes +1 with 2 shots.

Jack Rowe gets 2 goals going +1 on 6 shots in the win over Lincoln. John Simonson gets a goal and an assist in the loss going -1 with 6 shots and 2 PIMs.

Cam Johnson saves 32 of 35 in the win for Waterloo. Hayden Shaw gets an assist going +1 with 1 shot.

Ryan Mantha is even with 1 shot and 4 PIMs.

Austin Poganski goes -1 with 1 shot in the loss. Chris Wilkie is also -1 with 3 shots.

Christian Evers is even for the U17 team. Green Bay wins with Nick Schmaltz getting a goal and an assist on 2 shots.

Luke Voltin gets an assist going -1 with 1 shot in the loss.

Zach Yon goes -1 with 4 shots in the loss for Bismarck.

I'm shocked that Schmaltz wasn't selected to the U18's.....I know much of the team is filled with NTDP players but typically they pull in 2-3 other top players from the USHL. I wonder what the story is there.

Green Bay still has a shot at making the playoffs. They could still add him if Green Bay's season ends before the tournament.

Rumor that Cakebread will return to the ice for Fargo this weekend. Not sure what to expect, even if he does, after that long of a layoff. Plus, this being the Force's last weekend this season, I guess we'll have to wait until next fall to get a better look at him.

Friday, Omaha brings Tucker Poolman to town to play against his little brother. Saturday Des Moines doesn't bring any Sioux commits.

Trevor Olson goes -1 in the loss.

Christian Evers has 3 assists going +3 with 2 SOG in the win.

Ryan Mantha goes -1 with 1 SOG in the loss for Indiana.

Nick Schmaltz gets a goal on 4 shots staying even.

Tucker Poolman gets a goal on 7 shots in the win.

Doesn;t look like Cakebread got back to playing with Fargo.

Austin Poganski gets an assist with 4 shots staying even.

Chris Wilkie goes -1 with 1 shots.

Cam Johnson is benched and Hayden Shaw goes +1 with 1 shot and 4 PIMs.

Jack Rowe gets a goal going +2 with 2 shots.

John Simonson gets a goal and an assist on 4 shots staying even.

Zach Yon stays even on 3 shots and 2 PIMs.

Luke Voltin goes -2 with 3 shots.

One guy who hasn't gotten a ton of buzz here has been scoring pretty regularly. Jack Rowe has scored in 4 straight games, and has 7 goals in his last 7 games. With Muskegon, he has 10 goals and 3 assists in 19 games.

One guy who hasn't gotten a ton of buzz here has been scoring pretty regularly. Jack Rowe has scored in 4 straight games, and has 7 goals in his last 7 games. With Muskegon, he has 10 goals and 3 assists in 19 games.

Don't know if your including this but had a goal tonight as well versus Green Bay. With him last season was bad. He was up and down through the beginning of the season leading to him getting traded twice in a short period of time. I think that he needs to play another consistent year before he can get here. If he can settle in he can be really good but needs to prove it first.

Don't know if your including this but had a goal tonight as well versus Green Bay. With him last season was bad. He was up and down through the beginning of the season leading to him getting traded twice in a short period of time. I think that he needs to play another consistent year before he can get here. If he can settle in he can be really good but needs to prove it first.

Agreed, he needs one good USHL season.

Christian Evers stays off the scoring sheet going +1.

Trevor Olson gets a goal and an assist with a +1 rating on 2 shots.

Nick Schmaltz gets an assist going -2 on 1 shot as Green Bay clinched a playoff spot.

As stated above Jack Rowe gets another goal on 2 shots staying even.

Ryan Mantha stays even with 1 shot and 2 PIMs in the win.

John Simonson stays off the score sheet going -1 on 7 shots but scored his shootout shot.

Chris Wilkie gets 2 assists going +1 with 8 shots but misses his shootout goal. Austin Poganski gets a goal going -1 with 5 shots.

Christian Cakebread gets back in tonight going +1 with 2 shots.

Cam Johnson saves 21 of 23 for the win. He also stopped all 9 penalty shots he faced.

Hayden Shaw goes +2 with 2 shots.

Tucker Poolman doesnt play tonight, rest or injury?

Luke Voltin goes -1 in the loss.

Zack Yon breaks through getting 2 goals on 6 shots going +1 with 2 PIMs.

I wouldn't read too much into this, but I did notice on CH's list Voltin is not listed on the North Dakota page, but is listed as a Siox commit on the USHL page. Not sure what to think, he went from team USA to USHL to Minot and really isn't doing much there. Personally has to be very disappointing for the young man, but I seriously doubt he comes to UND. But I have been wrong many times.

I've read that next season could be one of the best recruiting classes we've had. and could be the top in the country? Which guys do we expect to see on campus next fall, and who do we expect to be the big contributor right away? Any high end goal scorers?

I wouldn't read too much into this, but I did notice on CH's list Voltin is not listed on the North Dakota page, but is listed as a Siox commit on the USHL page. Not sure what to think, he went from team USA to USHL to Minot and really isn't doing much there. Personally has to be very disappointing for the young man, but I seriously doubt he comes to UND. But I have been wrong many times.

I would be absolutely blown away if voltin makes it here.

I think unds recruiting class will take a little hit with Gropp not coming here....on paper at least. I do think schmaltz, Simonson, Olson and poolman will contribute from day one though.

Rumor that Cakebread will return to the ice for Fargo this weekend. Not sure what to expect, even if he does, after that long of a layoff. Plus, this being the Force's last weekend this season, I guess we'll have to wait until next fall to get a better look at him.

Friday, Omaha brings Tucker Poolman to town to play against his little brother. Saturday Des Moines doesn't bring any Sioux commits.

Love that kid's name.

I've read that next season could be one of the best recruiting classes we've had. and could be the top in the country? Which guys do we expect to see on campus next fall, and who do we expect to be the big contributor right away? Any high end goal scorers?

Forwards- Trevor Olson, John Simonson, and Nick Schmaltz are expected to be here and Shane Gersich could be but I believe he probably ends up coming in 2015 as long as there aren't any significant early departures from our forwards. Schmaltz has the most high end potential while Olson and Simonson are a little older and can play a more physical style but all have produced pretty decent numbers in the USHL and I would expect all to have a pretty good chance to get in the lineup right away.

Defense- I would expect Tucker Poolman to be the only guy to come in next season unless Schmaltz decides to leave early but I don't think that will happen. Poolman has put up very good numbers in the USHL and should compete for immediate playing time. Some people have compared him a little bit to LaDue. Wouldn't be surprised if he rotates with one of the other d on Fridays/Saturdays like Ausmus and Thompson did for most of the year.

Goalie- Cam Johnson will come in and I would guess be the #2 goalie and maybe see some action every now and then but I think Zane has proved the net is his for near future.

There are a few guys that I think could end up in this situation. Both Voltin and Pelnik are two that I could see never making it to UND but right now they are young enough where the decision probably doesn't need to be made right away and I'd think the coaching staff will be watching them closely to see how their game develops the next year or so. Rowe was probably in the same situation but he seems to have played much better in the 2nd half of the season and making some progress but next year is probably big in determining whether he actually ends up here or not.

The Sioux probably have some of the best recruits in the nation lined up. Also I don't think we have seen nearly the best from Johnson and Murphy yet. This class lost Gropp and Lemieux and still might be the best in the nation.

Schmaltz is the blue chipper and potentially of the Stafford / Zajac / Greene caliber.

Poolman is already drafted and looks like one of the best 2 way D-men in the USHL.

Shaw, Olson, and Simonson are older players that have become better than projected. Think LaDue or Bozek from Denver. Simonson is compared to Gregoire and I would compare Olson to Rylan Kaip.

Cam Johnson is every bit as good as Clarke Saunders.

Yon, Gersich, Poganski, Gartner, and Wilkie could all be top line forwards, though we probably will not see them until 2015. Wilkie, Gersich, and Poganski are all scorers and the first 2 could potentially be here in 2014. I don't know about Yon and Gartner though Gartner seems more like a Checking line forward.

Assuming J. Schmaltz stays it will be a hell of a fight just to get in the lineup as a defenseman next season.

The Sioux probably have some of the best recruits in the nation lined up. Also I don't think we have seen nearly the best from Johnson and Murphy yet. This class lost Gropp and Lemieux and still might be the best in the nation.

Schmaltz is the blue chipper and potentially of the Stafford / Zajac / Greene caliber.

Poolman is already drafted and looks like one of the best 2 way D-men in the USHL.

Shaw, Olson, and Simonson are older players that have become better than projected. Think LaDue or Bozek from Denver. Simonson is compared to Gregoire and I would compare Olson to Rylan Kaip.

Yon, Gersich, Poganski, Gartner, and Wilkie could all be top line forwards, though we probably will not see them until 2015. Wilkie, Gersich, and Poganski are all scorers and the first 2 could potentially be here in 2014. I don't know about Yon and Gartner though Gartner seems more like a Checking line forward.

Assuming J. Schmaltz stays it will be a hell of a fight just to get in the lineup as a defensemannext season.

I reall like what you have to say about Olson, if he can truly compare to a Kaip that would be great. I feel like Kaip's physical gritty play is sorely missed. I always loved watching him and Radke mix it up. Looking forward to more and more talents on this team.

Assuming J. Schmaltz stays it will be a hell of a fight just to get in the lineup as a defenseman next season.

Um... Shaw is a high school junior?

I like the comparison with Olson Kaip but I do think that Olson will come in with a little more offensive production than Kaip had here. Tucker is also a little bigger. I personally think that UND has really been missing the big power forward we are used too. I think another former player that Olson has a chance to become is a slightly less productive Brad Malone.

Nick Schmaltz has the chance to be special. He probably has the chance to lead the team next year in assists, which seems to be his biggest strength with his vision. I think he will have some nights that he is off though he will need to dedicate himself every night to play a solid two-way game.

Tucker Poolman has a chance to be very, very good as well. The d-core next year is going to be very talented so if someone doesn't show up I'm sure that there is gladly going to be someone behind him ready to go.

John Simonson has a very good chance to be a diamond in the rough kind of player. He has what it takes to play on a physical line but add some offensive punch for the line. He probably also could play a somewhat similar role to what Pattyn did at times this year on Rocco's line. I think Simonson is a player you can put with top end talent that will keep physical players away from the "better" players.

Hayden Shaw is a 96 so he is still pretty young but having a very good year in the USHL for his age. Size wise he is pretty close to Joe Gleason but I think Shaw has alot more upside than Gleason had. The way he is going I think that he could be on par with a Troy Stetcher.

Cam Johnson has been playing phenomenally for Waterloo 15 GP 1.86 GAA and 93.9%. It will be a battle for the second goaltender spot as Hrynkiw is not bad at all. The Waterloo Johnson though is going to be tough to beat for that second spot though.

Gersich is another player who has a lot of potential maybe even coming in this next year. From what it looks like he is very consistent player who players a good two-way game rarely straying under even for the USA U18 team.

Wilkie needs to be more consistent as does Rowe. Wilkie has a lot more upside but is another player that needs to dedicate himself to playing two-ways every night. Rowe has potential to be a St. Clair type of player, solid two-way but can add a little scoring touch as well.

Zack Yon has size and the shot to be a good player at this level. Would love to see him play in the USHL to see what he can do there. Tends to be very shot happy though even in the NAHL.

Rhett Gardner is the typical blue collared player that UND loves to recruit. I would like to think that there is some grit in his game seemingly willing to throw his body around.

Poganski is a player that has a very good offensive upside but seems to be a player that is developing a game where he plays more along the boards and with his frame can be very good at it.

Cakebread is a young player that needs to get a little bigger frame on him. This is a guy that willingly switch to play defense out of team need in Arizona so he sounds like a selfless player with good skating and offensive capabilities. With playing some defense as well it make me believe he can be a good two-way player as well.

Pelnik, Chartrand, Evers and Mantha are more of the big bodied defensive d-men of the old UND. Don't know how much time Pelnik actually had but seemed to be around even for the most part this year in Langley. Mantha is again not going to score much but plays a more defensive game. Pelnik has alot to prove though before he can get here. Chartrand is a a little smaller but again much more defensive though of the three probably has the biggest offensive upside. Evers is a younger player but from the sounds of it has all the potential you could ask from a player his age.

Like the general thought Luke Voltin probably won't make it here unless something drastic happens. From the sounds of it attitude has been an issue with him as well as work ethic. This is a young man that needs to changes his ways if he wants to get with a college program.