SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Where are you seeing that Pelnik was even most of the season in Langley? Does the BCHL post plus/minus? If they do, I can't find it anywhere.

Unless they don't really do it after the game's in the box scores thats where I usually look but they might not do it than.

Simonson does not have the build of a checking line forward, but neither does Rocco and he hits everything...

I think Luke Johnson leads the NCAAs in S.O.Gl. Shots on Glass.

That's why I have been saying. Everyone seems to think Simonson will be this gritty, more physical forward. When I watched him, he seemed more skilled to me. He is also not that big. Although he had 100+ pims...most of them were game misconducts

That's why I have been saying. Everyone seems to think Simonson will be this gritty, more physical forward. When I watched him, he seemed more skilled to me. He is also not that big. Although he had 100+ pims...most of them were game misconducts

Was his brother(s)? like that kind of player? That could be where the assumption comes from.

He may be gritty, but with numbers like he put up, I'm guessing he's more of a mixture.

Looking forward to seeing what he brings to the team next year.

Me too, I have been super surprised at his production in a very good league. I know he is older but still. Averaging a pt per game is the type of player we want.

Was his brother(s)? like that kind of player? That could be where the assumption comes from.

He may be gritty, but with numbers like he put up, I'm guessing he's more of a mixture.

Looking forward to seeing what he brings to the team next year.

Dane was a tad gritty but not as skilled as the rest. Morgan was not at all gritty, he was a mobile dman. Alex was very gritty but had size. Jonny is the smallest out of all of them. The rest were around six foot and lean, Alex was the exception. He bulked up quite a bit.

Ryan Mantha stays even for Indiana in the win. Nick Schmaltz is -1 with 1 shot and 2 PIMs in the loss.

Cam Johnson is benched for the game. Hayden Shaw does get on the point sheet but is +2 with 3 shots in the win.

Zach Yon gets a goal and is +2 with 6 shots in the win.

Luke Voltin goes -1 with 1 shot and 5 PIMs in the loss.

Watched the Bismarck bobcats game last night.

Im excited to get Yon in the Sioux program...he seems like he has some great tools.

You can sense he seems bit bored with the game at the NAHL level....he was very good with the puck and attacking the net for the most part. But for the rest of the game he seemed to glide around and basically hang out on the blue line until they could get the puck to him in the neutral zone.

Some defensive presence but not much displayed.

It looked almost as if just didn't give a crap unless he had the puck

Once he had the puck....WOW what a shot.

It will be very interesting to see how he does next year at the USHL level.

Bobcats win their first round series so at least one more chance to watch him locally.

Is Shaw accelerating high school because I think this is his junior year?

That's a very good question. There are definitely conflicting reports (on the same college hockey recruiting website, no less) about his situation. This current year would have been his junior year of high school (at Woodbury), and he's on this list despite being so young and having another year of junior eligibility.

I'll do some more checking and update the article when I get a definitive answer.

Dave

Shaw coming in would be such a huge mistake, it would be the classic example of a kid (or his family) trying to accelerate his development too fast. He is a solid young player in the USHL but not dominate. He would come in and ride the pine the entire year...that is a lose lose for everyone. He should stay in the USHL and continue his development....he is only 17.

Actually now that I think about it, is schmaltz leaving then?

Shaw coming in would be such a huge mistake, it would be the classic example of a kid (or his family) trying to accelerate his development too fast. He is a solid young player in the USHL but not dominate. He would come in and ride the pine the entire year...that is a lose lose for everyone. He should stay in the USHL and continue his development....he is only 17.

Actually now that I think about it, is schmaltz leaving then?

Dave just took it from a list that somebody had posted for all NCHC recruits and nobody knows if it is actually correct but I'm pretty sure it was just a mistake. He didn't commit until the middle of the season so I really doubt he was already accelerating his schooling then and it would be pretty hard to make up a year of schooling in a few months. Even if Schmaltz was leaving I think Mantha would be the one to probably take that spot.

Dave just took it from a list that somebody had posted for all NCHC recruits and nobody knows if it is actually correct but I'm pretty sure it was just a mistake. He didn't commit until the middle of the season so I really doubt he was already accelerating his schooling then and it would be pretty hard to make up a year of schooling in a few months. Even if Schmaltz was leaving I think Mantha would be the one to probably take that spot.

I agree.

I too agree that Mantha would probably get a look before Shaw. Shaw though has the chance in the next few years to be very dominate in the USHL. I would also think that if Gersich is accelerating he might have a chance to come in this year but that would probably be a only if necessary choice for the staff.

I think it was to be expected that Trevor Olson cooled down some he was on a pretty nice run for a while. It's going to be nice to get a true power forward in here

Games Today.

Nick Schmaltz has a goal and 2 assists staying even with 2 SOG in the win. Ryan Mantha stays off the score sheet and is -1 with 2 SOG and 2 PIM in the loss.

Trevor Olson stays even with 2 PIM in the win. Tucker Poolman is also even with 6 shots on goal in the loss.

Cam Johnson is on the bench again with Hayden Shaw gets an assist going -1 with 1 shot in the win.

Luke Voltin gets a goal going +1 with 3 shots on goal.

So right now my best guess as to who's coming in that are locks:

Trevor Olson (Duluth, Mn) forward playing at Sioux City

Cam Johnson (Troy, Mi) goalie playing at Waterloo

Tucker Poolman (East Grand Forks, Mn) defenseman playing at Omaha

John Simonson (Grand Forks, Nd) forward playing at Limcoln

Nick Schmaltz (Verona, Wi) forward playing at Green Bay

If we lose any early or transfer:

Shane Gersich if he accelerated (Chaska, Mn) forward playing with the USA jrs team

Ryan Mantha (Clarkson, Mi) defenseman playing at Indiana

I also doubt they are done and have a player or two in mind if they need another forward.

Shane Gersich if he accelerated (Chaska, Mn) forward playing with the USA jrs team

I also doubt they are done and have a player or two in mind if they need another forward.

Does everyone on the U-18 teams accelerate their schooling? Almost all of them are going to college next year however they all appear to be in that "junior year of high school" age. I see some with January/Feb birth years but Gersich is June I believe; Larkin, Milano and Tuch appear to be too. I wonder if Gersich was old for his grade.

Given the hard losses (seniors: Simpson, Mitch MacMillan, Rodwell, Saunders) plus Tambellinin that's 1G, 1D, and 3F. I'd say your assessment is spot on as it would put the roster to 15F, 8D, and 3G.

The wildcard would be a premature departure (say Sanderson); but that's why you have a pipeline and are constantly evaluating the recruits to know who could step in.

Mitchelll Mattson (Grand Rapids) announced via Twitter that he has committed to UND

https://twitter.com/...215169173962752

Nice get and had a feeling we might be able to land him as I believe his sister committed to play volleyball at UND earlier this year. He was a Soph. at Grand Rapids this year and had 37 points this year, bigger forward at 6'3 right now.

Nice get and had a feeling we might be able to land him as I believe his sister committed to play volleyball at UND earlier this year. He was a Soph. at Grand Rapids this year and had 37 points this year, bigger forward at 6'3 right now.

When I was in Duluth for the Sioux-Dogs series, I went to the 7AA semi game between Rapids and East and saw Berry and Dane at the game and was wondering who they were looking at. I guess I know the answer now. That was the only time I saw Mattson and wasn't overly impressed. He definitely has great size and potential but has a ways to go in my opinion before being ready for college hockey which I guess you could say that about most kids finishing their sophomore year of high school.

When I was in Duluth for the Sioux-Dogs series, I went to the 7AA semi game between Rapids and East and saw Berry and Dane at the game and was wondering who they were looking at. I guess I know the answer now. That was the only time I saw Mattson and wasn't overly impressed. He definitely has great size and potential but has a ways to go in my opinion before being ready for college hockey which I guess you could say that about most kids finishing their sophomore year of high school.

Probably why you and the rest of us are not D1 coaches. They see what we don't. LOL
  • Upvote 1