SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

5 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I watched Warroad 10 times this winter and Pilgrim was the better player all around in 7 of those games. Shaugabay is an absolute wizard with the puck and has some of the best vision on the ice I can recall but Pilgrim is more of a pure scorer, better skater, and more active on the board battles. Not saying Shaugabay isn't a great player too because I'd love to have both of them. Marvin-Cordes is one I'm watching close as well.

So Shaugabay is to Tony Hrkac as Pilgrim is to Bob Joyce? :D

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/warroad-forward-carson-pilgrim-commits-to-und

Carson Pilgrim piled up numbers this season for Warroad High School.

He scored 52 goals and tallied 92 points — more than any junior in Minnesota high school hockey.

He saved his best for last, too.

Pilgrim scored two goals and tallied three points in the Section 8A title game against East Grand Forks Senior High, then tallied hat tricks in both the state quarterfinal and state championship games.

His performances on the big stage accelerated his recruitment from NCAA Division-I teams. That recruitment ended Sunday when Pilgrim gave a verbal commitment to play at UND.

UND has a long history of recruiting players from Warroad, but it has been a decade since the Fighting Hawks have had one.

The last Warroad player at UND was Brock Nelson, who is now a star with the New York Islanders. Nelson played at UND from 2010-12.

19 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Lets Go! Carson Pilgrim has committed to UND according to his instagram!

Big time commit. Felt like this program really needed to get a high-end Minnesota recruit. 

Edit: Just to get ahead of it, non-legacy recruit.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

In the trade they call this a clue

...but in his interview last month he said his favorite college team was the Bulldogs, so I think it is a good thing Berry clinched this deal, as lately guys like Roth and Shaugabay have turned Warroad into somewhat of a neutral ground.   Needed to get a foothold back in there. 

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

...but in his interview last month he said his favorite college team was the Bulldogs, so I think it is a good thing Berry clinched this deal, as lately guys like Roth and Shaugabay have turned Warroad into somewhat of a neutral ground.   Needed to get a foothold back in there. 

What do you mean a foothold? Oshie and Nelson are the only ones that have came to UND from Warroad (Lee Marvin was another one). There has been A LOT of talent that has gone elsewhere from there. It's always been a neutral ground.

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

I originally watched the video where he said his favorite team was Duluth a couple months ago and definitely thought he was heading there when I watched it at first, but after rewatching it, he did hesitate when he answered that question so I think Duluth probably wasn’t a definitive favorite at the time. Lots of kids do like a bunch of teams. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

What do you mean a foothold? Oshie and Nelson are the only ones that have came to UND from Warroad (Lee Marvin was another one). There has been A LOT of talent that has gone elsewhere from there. It's always been a neutral ground.

Might be a generational gap here and people that follow further back know it used to be a foothold. Marvins (Lee, Cal, David), Christians (Dave, Eddie), Al Hansleben.

Makes sense that there's been a shift with Hardwick at the helm and him being a Bulldog.

27 minutes ago, SpudsSioux said:

Might be a generational gap here and people that follow further back know it used to be a foothold. Marvins (Lee, Cal, David), Christians (Dave, Eddie), Al Hansleben.

Makes sense that there's been a shift with Hardwick at the helm and him being a Bulldog.

Generational gap? Please! you named 6 players out of over 300 players that have played hockey elsewhere. I wouldn't exactly say UND has a strong "foothold" on the Warroad players like you think.

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

We have had a lot of other players over the years, but foothold was a poor choice of words.  I should have said get our foot back in the door.   

1 hour ago, tnt said:

We have had a lot of other players over the years, but foothold was a poor choice of words.  I should have said get our foot back in the door.   

I’d say we probably have gotten the best warroad has produced over the years.

On 4/16/2023 at 4:28 PM, scpa0305 said:

A lot of his goals was because of shaugabays passing. But again, decent get. He’ll probably play a his senior year then a year of juniors. I’m curious if he’ll go NTDP next year, typically Warroad kids don’t.

Anywhere else and the kid goes NTDP, but like you said....something about Warroad makes em stay.

Will get some decent competition, but obviously not like a schedule the U18 plays.  

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Anywhere else and the kid goes NTDP, but like you said....something about Warroad makes em stay.

Will get some decent competition, but obviously not like a schedule the U18 plays.  

According to the Herald, he’s going to try to play some USHL games before and after the high school season next year. I thought Chicago had his rights but apparently no USHL team has his rights at the moment. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/warroad-forward-carson-pilgrim-commits-to-und

New article with more quotes:

Carson Pilgrim grew up in Warroad. His family sometimes traveled to Grand Forks to attend UND hockey games.

Pilgrim particularly enjoyed watching those from his hometown who went on to be college hockey stars.

"I was a really big fan when I was younger, watching T.J. Oshie and Brock Nelson," Pilgrim said. "We'd go to games every now and then. I remember watching them and dreaming of playing there. It finally happened. It's something special."

Pilgrim will be the first Warroad player since Nelson and Oshie — both of whom are now in the midst of lengthy NHL careers — to play at UND.

"It's a really nice facility," Pilgrim said. "They have really nice coaches. I got along with them well. They treated me and my family well, which is a huge part in it. I love their culture, especially coming from Warroad. It just felt like it was the best fit for me."

Pilgrim made recruiting visits to UND and Minnesota Duluth, where his prep linemate, Jayson Shaugabay, is headed.

"I thought about it over the weekend," Pilgrim said. "I talked it over with my family and made the decision (Sunday)."

At the moment, Pilgrim is planning to take the same development path as a couple of his old Warroad teammates, Shaugabay and Clarkson-bound Daimon Gardner, by playing his senior season at Warroad, while joining a junior hockey team before and after the prep season.

No United States Hockey League team currently holds Pilgrim's rights. He will likely be a high pick in the USHL Phase II Draft on May 3.

His arrival date at UND is up in the air and depends on his development.

7 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Or, you know, Berry too? LOL

The kid became a fan in the Hak era, not the Berry era.  Did Berry even try recruiting him or did Carson just state he was playing for UND and Berry said "oh, what?  a kid WANTS to play for us?  We don't have to get only upperclassmen from Lindenwood and Alaska to make a team?"