SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

These two are going to be fun to watch once they get to campus:

I got to watch Swanson practice a few weeks ago and he was special.  Not the biggest guy, but his play away from the puck and IQ and vision are special.  He will only get better too.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

All I know is that both Strathmann and his advisor/agent have no issues with playing another year in the USHL. 

Well that works then…but who will play D for this team? :) I’d honestly have him come in though. Give him sheltered ice if you’re worried about his D play.

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Well that works then…but who will play D for this team? :) I’d honestly have him come in though. Give him sheltered ice if you’re worried about his D play.

Right, I actually had the same reaction. I mean they could still decide to bring him in, but at least they’ve had the discussions about it and all parties are on the same page. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Right, I actually had the same reaction. I mean they could still decide to bring him in, but at least they’ve had the discussions about it and all parties are on the same page. 

If he doesn't come in, that means 3 portal D guys still need to be brought in...and the pool of decent remaining D in the portal isn't super high.

31 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Yeah, it seems like I would worry a bit more about Livanavage in that regard as he is really slight.  You did make me face palm with the thought of an OHL defection, as in what else in the past few weeks and a blizzard on the way.

22 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

All I know is that both Strathmann and his advisor/agent have no issues with playing another year in the USHL. 

Looking for a silver lining: If Strathmann does play another year in the USHL, it would help to balance out the classes a bit. It would feel painful to have to find (yet) another portal defenseman though.

The one thing the coaching staff cannot do in the near future is lose any incoming recruits by trying to push them back a year.

22 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

From that podcast it sure seems like there may be a little steam with Bennett Zmolek

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Looking for a silver lining: If Strathmann does play another year in the USHL, it would help to balance out the classes a bit. It would feel painful to have to find (yet) another portal defenseman though.

The one thing the coaching staff cannot do in the near future is lose any incoming recruits by trying to push them back a year.

I think that’s exactly what they’re trying to do. Which is why I think they are looking for D in the portal with multiple years of eligibility. Don’t want to have a D core of just freshmen and 5th years. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think that’s exactly what they’re trying to do. Which is why I think they are looking for D in the portal with multiple years of eligibility. Don’t want to have a D core of just freshmen and 5th years. 

The more and more I’m thinking about that Strathmann situation the more I’d be confused as to why Strathmann would be fine going back to juniors knowing he will be drafted in the top 4 rounds and given he’s played over 100 ushl games, put up solid O numbers, and has been a plus player both years. Looks ready to be ready from my angle.

15 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

The more and more I’m thinking about that Strathmann situation the more I’d be confused as to why Strathmann would be fine going back to juniors knowing he will be drafted in the top 4 rounds and given he’s played over 100 ushl games, put up solid O numbers, and has been a plus player both years. Looks ready to be ready from my angle.

Maybe he and his people don't think he's ready for college hockey yet?

On 3/5/2023 at 2:51 PM, siouxforce19 said:

There’s usually a couple teams Ontario leagues that are decent. The year I went to the national junior A tournament in Canada, the Ontario teams got beat pretty handily by the AJ (Brooks) and BC teams (Prince George). Portage Terriers were there out of the MJ and they were more competitive. 

Portage won the Centennial Cup in 2015, Yorkton in 2014.  Portage hosts it this year and plays regardless if they win the MJ or not.  BCHL currently isn't participating in Centennial cup because of issues with Hockey Canada and the CHL.  Royal Bank Cup back then.

On 4/4/2023 at 3:26 PM, scpa0305 said:

Who are the hypothetical 8 defensemen for next year.