SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

Not sure if anyone posted this already, but...wow! What a class act!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hours-troy-stecher/

When his goalie saves him from the fight, classic!

Obviously his teammates must really appreciate him if they're willing to stand up for him like that.

So great to see Stech doing so well and continuing to promote and represent UND so well!

6 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

He sure is eyeing up that gold medal.....   I think

Stech.jpg

He's a classy guy but I'm not so sure he's staring at the medals Miss Hotty is holding. 

Edit:  sorry 90siouxfan, didn't see your comment above...we are on the same page though.

Schmaltz, Stecher, Ladue.  Those three were no-brainers, we were lucky to keep Ladue as long as we did.  Johnson...not sure how NHL contract/roster rules played into his decision.  We could sure use him.   Thompson... Sent to the ECHL?  Back to AHL? He would have made a big difference for us this year.  

6 minutes ago, hky said:

Schmaltz, Stecher, Ladue.  Those three were no-brainers, we were lucky to keep Ladue as long as we did.  Johnson...not sure how NHL contract/roster rules played into his decision.  We could sure use him.   Thompson... Sent to the ECHL?  Back to AHL? He would have made a big difference for us this year.  

Yeah, Johnson and Thompson definitely would have added some depth to our team.  I heard both graduated so the plan was to leave all along.  It look's as though Johnson will be in the E here soon.  

6 minutes ago, hky said:

I was surprised LJ and Thompson left. I don't think either one of them would have hurt their development by staying. Would have been nice to have two more seniors on this team.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

I was curious to see how Luke Johnsons pro career is going.

Looks to be struggling in the AHL. 17 games played, 0 goals, 3 assists, -5

Maybe still recovering from his injury.

Luke's skating will continue to hold him back.  It's what kept him from being a 20 goal man in college, and it will likely force him out of the A in a year.  I agree with everyone that another year st UND wouldn't have hurt him and certainly would've helped this team.

On 11/28/2016 at 5:11 PM, keikla said:

The difference with LJ was that he graduated.  So unless he's pulling an Eidsness and going after a masters, there's no point in him staying.  His skating reminds me a lot of Bochenski, with less scoring upside.  He very well may have a long and successful AHL/europe career, but I just don't see him making it to the NHL.

Unless Luke had a ton of college credit before he came here, which I highly doubt, he did not graduate. He was only a junior last year, and I know that because he and I (along with B O'D and St. Clair) had a communications class together during LJ's freshman season. As Yzerman said, he could've definitely used the additional year on personal basis, and although he was more on the quiet side, he would've been a good veteran/enforcer to have around. 

22 hours ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Unless Luke had a ton of college credit before he came here, which I highly doubt, he did not graduate. He was only a junior last year, and I know that because he and I (along with B O'D and St. Clair) had a communications class together during LJ's freshman season. As Yzerman said, he could've definitely used the additional year on personal basis, and although he was more on the quiet side, he would've been a good veteran/enforcer to have around. 

He could've taken a lot of summer courses. 

23 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Watching Stecher play last night was a treat.  No way that a defenseman his size should be that successful in the NHL winning battles, etc.  I don't have any NHL jerseys, but Stecher may be the first one I get.

Read some fan blogs and they absolutely love the guy, the same way he was loved in Grand Forks.  Never thought I'd be cheering for the Canucks of all teams.  

Why? The NHL is going away from the big enforcer type D-man. The new NHL wants puck moving/shooting and strong skating D-men. The days of the big physical d-man are over.

23 hours ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

He graduated.

What does a player do if he has graduated and has only used 3 years of playing eligibility?   I assume the he just postpones actual graduation and takes enough classes to be a student?  It doesn't surprise me that some are graduated in three years,  a couple of years of taking classes online while playing juniors should put them ahead of schedule.  Some people are doing a bachelors in three  years without starting early..    some take 5 just to get through...:silly::unsure:

On 12/1/2016 at 10:54 AM, siouxkid12 said:

He could've taken a lot of summer courses. 

Need to consider the fact that he was also being approached/pressured by the Blackhawks to leave early, meaning he was at their prospect and development camps training during the summer when he wasn't here in Grand Forks. Even then, unless we're talking a Tate Maris, Matt Hrynkiw or Nick Mattson type, our guys aren't going to overload themselves during the summer. Three classes max over the three summer sessions seems reasonable but above and beyond that...whooooa buddy.