SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs USD

Nodak78

30 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Maybe take away a few carries but let him return punts?

Exactly, we have Reyes back their fielding punts who we cannot afford have get injured, it's like he was just sent in to make fair catches.  Santiago has the capability of taking one to the house, which we were in dire need of a big play today.   This game was just a complete failure on all levels today, I bet the water boy was even off today.

The one constant throughout the first 3 games has been the backbreaking , undisciplined penaltys. That shows a lack of focus. It's hard to explain.  A big part of a coache's job is to have their team ready to play, both game plan wise and mentally prepared.  The were not ready  at all.  Some of that is on the coaches.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Hmmmmmmm........ok. He only threw for 290 and a TD and ran for 62 with 2 TDs.  BTW.......the "2nd string" comment is pure gold!

I'm just saying we banged him up throughout the game. If he has to run like that against playoff teams he is going to get hurt. I agree he can pass the ball too so they should go that route if they want to keep him healthy.

Running quarterbacks don't last long at the higher levels of football.

I remember one year in the '90s when UND went down to Brookings and was embarrassed by SDSU, something like 35-0. The next week, they beat the Bison in Grand Forks, and I remember my dad saying that the loss to the Jacks was the best thing that could have happened to them.  This is the hope I'm clinging to right now. 

• Upvote 4

It's tough to put into words how disappointing of a result this is. I really don't know how they come back from this one, given the Big Sky's current reputation and how they've fared non-conference this year as well as in the playoffs the last couple. Winning in the Big Sky won't do anything for the reputation of UND. They needed to prove it today and they failed miserably. That being said, as much as this one hurts, UND just needs to take it game by game. They're still in a better spot, given their #10 ranking, even if they drop to #20 going into conference play. Start winning and climb back up. 

This one will take a long time to come back from.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I remember one year in the '90s when UND went down to Brookings and was embarrassed by SDSU, something like 35-0. The next week, they beat the Bison in Grand Forks, and I remember my dad saying that the loss to the Jacks was the best thing that could have happened to them.  This is the hope I'm clinging to right now. 

Thanks for reminding me.....I was on that team that took that beating, it was from USD, not SDSU.  We had Morningside the next week, then took care of the Bison the following week in GF.  We truly were asleep and unprepared for that game, just like today!!  So history shows a bounce back is possible but this 2017 team has a lot more to overcome than my '95 team.  We were healthy and had more talent than most opponents in '95.

UND can and probably will bounce back from this game and very well could still win or at least challenge for the Big Sky title. On the other hand, today showed that UND is (at the risk of inviting the trolls) not ready for the MVFC, unless UND wants to be battling the likes of Missouri State and Southern Illinois for the top of the bottom half of the standings.

Did not get a chance to watch the game (and really don't have a desire to watch a replay), but reading through this thread, Studsrud keeps reminding me of Philip Rivers. Decent, not great, QB that just doesn't quite get it done.

if Rudolph was not calling the type of offense that Bubba wanted UND to run, he would not have lasted 4+ years as the OC. And the players have to execute the game plan, not just in the locker room, but on the field. Time to stop piling all the blame on Rudolph.

Utah 37 San Jose St 13, late in the 3rd

The USD board says that their Coyote squad is vastly improved over last year, both offense and defense.  It took a couple Streveler turnovers last year for UND to win, and they say Streveler is vastly improved and no longer prone to making dumb plays.  Have to agree and think USD will be a force in the FCS playoffs. Think the XDSU's need to watch out, instead of mocking UND's team.  The Montana State Board thinks they will roll just as USD did, but they are not nearly as good.

23 minutes ago, zonadub said:

UND can and probably will bounce back from this game and very well could still win or at least challenge for the Big Sky title. On the other hand, today showed that UND is (at the risk of inviting the trolls) not ready for the MVFC, unless UND wants to be battling the likes of Missouri State and Southern Illinois for the top of the bottom half of the standings.

Did not get a chance to watch the game (and really don't have a desire to watch a replay), but reading through this thread, Studsrud keeps reminding me of Philip Rivers. Decent, not great, QB that just doesn't quite get it done.

if Rudolph was not calling the type of offense that Bubba wanted UND to run, he would not have lasted 4+ years as the OC. And the players have to execute the game plan, not just in the locker room, but on the field. Time to stop piling all the blame on Rudolph.

Well, we don't join the MVFC for another three years, so we have time to right the ship.

I think after this season a coaching change may be in order on the offensive side of the ball. Our defense is the talk of the FCS, teams know how tough they are but our offense sputters too much. We aren't doninent week in and week out. Our plays are too obvious, and when our team becomes one dementional, it can get ugly. 

• Upvote 1

Funny how Bison fans are ripping us for losing to USD, with comments like we aren't ready for the Valley, and we are a horrible team. Oh how they forget this from 2 seasons ago.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2015/10/17/unbelievable-coyotes-stun-no-3-ndsu/74050358/

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I think after this season a coaching change may be in order on the offensive side of the ball. Our defense is the talk of the FCS, teams know how tough they are but our offense sputters too much. We aren't doninent week in and week out. Our plays are too obvious, and when our team becomes one dementional, it can get ugly. 

#firemuss

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Funny how Bison fans are ripping us for losing to USD, with comments like we aren't ready for the Valley, and we are a horrible team. Oh how they forget this from 2 seasons ago.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2015/10/17/unbelievable-coyotes-stun-no-3-ndsu/74050358/

That 24-21 loss resembles nothing like the 45-7 thrashing we took yesterday.  If that's how we are gonna play against a middle of the pack MVFC team, then we clearly are not ready for the grind of a MVFC season. I know aberrations happen.  But we were so obviously mismatched at most positions, including coaching.  If this team played USD 10 times, USD wins 9/10... we might win one...because aberrations happen.  We can compete with average FCS teams for the most part.  But we have some work to do as a program before we get to the MVFC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

That 24-21 loss resembles nothing like the 45-7 thrashing we took yesterday.  If that's how we are gonna play against a middle of the pack MVFC team, then we clearly are not ready for the grind of a MVFC season. I know anberations happen.  But we were so obviously mismatched at most positions, including coaching.  If this team played USD 10 times, USD wins 9/10... we might win one...because aberrations happen.  We can compete with average FCS teams for the most part.  But we have some work to do as a program before we get to the MVFC.

The MVFC is like any other conference, it's not like we played an SEC or Big 10 team. They act like their conference is the NFC North. NDSU lost to them in 2015 and still won a NC. Losing to USD isn't the nail in the coffin of your season and since they aren't in our conference we run the table, win the conference and kick ass in the playoffs. Day by day.

7 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Thanks for reminding me.....I was on that team that took that beating, it was from USD, not SDSU.  We had Morningside the next week, then took care of the Bison the following week in GF.  We truly were asleep and unprepared for that game, just like today!!  So history shows a bounce back is possible but this 2017 team has a lot more to overcome than my '95 team.  We were healthy and had more talent than most opponents in '95.

Yes, that must be the year I am thinking of. I was only 13 in '95, so my memory is a little fuzzy on exact details. 

14 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

The MVFC is like any other conference, it's not like we played an SEC or Big 10 team. They act like their conference is the NFC North. NDSU lost to them in 2015 and still won a NC. Losing to USD isn't the nail in the coffin of your season and since they aren't in our conference we run the table, win the conference and kick ass in the playoffs. Day by day.

You're right Darrell.  Having 7 teams ranked in the top 25 is just like any other FCS conference.

Oh, and I never said our season is done.  We play in the Big Sky so our chances are good that we can still make some noise and get to the playoffs.

48 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I know anberations happen.  But we were so obviously mismatched at most positions, including coaching.  If this team played USD 10 times, USD wins 9/10... we might win one...because aberrations happen.  We can compete with average FCS teams for the most part.  But we have some work to do as a program before we get to the MVFC.

No. Play like we did yesterday and we don't beat Missouri St, or Sac St for that matter. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

darell, is your first reaction to a UND win or loss always to go run and find what Bison fans have to say about it?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

No. Play like we did yesterday and we don't beat Missouri St, or Sac St for that matter. 

We would not win a game against any team playing like we did yesterday.  Something is definitely wrong with preparation, motivation and we need some guys back.

To USD's credit, they looked like they were coming out to play a huge game with playoff implications vs a long-time rival and UND looked like they were coming out for the first practice of fall camp where it starts to feel like a grind.

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Agree to a point.  However, how much of that was self inflicted vs. what USD did to us.  Mo state, Sac St don't come out and hit people in the mouth like that.  USD stuck it to us and we didn't know how to respond.  It will be interesting to see what they do once they get in conference.

9 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Maybe take away a few carries but let him return punts?

I don't believe we forced a punt in the first half. It was out of hand already 

need plays with John in the slot.  Why can't we throw the 3 yard hook route to him and let him work on a db in space like every team does to us

• Upvote 1