SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs USD

Nodak78

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don't buy that at all. This is year 4 for Bubba and only year 2 for USD's Nielsen ... 

Today was a failure that went beyond the health of the linebackers. UND only scored seven points! The leadership of UND football (both coaches and players) failed today. That is unacceptable and is the kind of the thing that requires someone to lose their job. 

USD had Joe Glenn before Nielsen. Glenn stabilized the program and Nielsen has simply built upon that.

UND had Mussman before Bubba. Mussman completely destroyed this program. I am not sure who would win between the 1985 team and the 2013 team.

It takes longer than 4 years to build quality depth in a numbers-oriented sport like FB. Especially when some guys crap out on the team and program (yes Grady, I am talking about you!).

4 minutes ago, oldage said:

It takes more than 4 years to rebuild a program.  It  is not a matter of just a new recruiting class... you have to rebuild a reputation also.  Recruits have to have reason to sign up. 

Sort of an oxymoron.  You need a winning tradition to attract recruits, but you cannot get a winning tradition established until you can consistently recruit quality players.

Its an incremental thing, not just a turnover thing or an instant replacement thing. 

Building a reputation could take 20+ years. Could never happen. 

Team made the playoffs last year. Hopefully they will again this year, but year four and a blowout loss to an "equal team" doesn't help build any type of reputation. 

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Building a reputation could take 20+ years. Could never happen. 

Team made the playoffs last year. Hopefully they will again this year, but year four and a blowout loss to an "equal team" doesn't help build any type of reputation. 

It took Roger Thomas seven years to win a conference title and win a playoff game. Bubba is in year four, has won a conference title and made the playoffs. Now after one bad road loss, people are already hinting at regime change. Too early to have that conversation IMHO.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It took Roger Thomas seven years to win a conference title and win a playoff game. Bubba is in year four and people are already hinting at regime change. Too early to have that conversation IMHO.

It was one game.  Yes it was ugly, but it was one game.  Urban Meyer and Ohio state were embarrassed on their home field by Oklahoma a week ago.  Ohio State has as many recruits as they need and Uran Meyer has won multiple national cahmpimships at multiple schools.  Bubba and co will get the ship righted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It took Roger Thomas seven years to win a conference title and win a playoff game. Bubba is in year four, has won a conference title and made the playoffs. Now after one bad road loss, people are already hinting at regime change. Too early to have that conversation IMHO.

That's why I'll take Dale Lennon every day of Roger Thomas.

"But Lennon didn't have to rebuild like Bubba." We could play this game all year long.

It took UND 100 years to win one Division 2 Championship. 

Bottom line is...UND coulda, shoulda, woulda have "rebuilt" way quicker in Division 2 than they did.

I'm not calling anyone to lose their job. It was one game and these things happen, but Bubba better win a playoff game before 7 years.

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don't buy that at all. This is year 4 for Bubba and only year 2 for USD's Nielsen ... 

Today was a failure that went beyond the health of the linebackers. UND only scored seven points! The leadership of UND football (both coaches and players) failed today. That is unacceptable and is the kind of the thing that requires someone to lose their job. 

Overreact much?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Cratter said:

That's why I'll take Dale Lennon every day of Roger Thomas.

"But Lennon didn't have to rebuild like Bubba." We could play this game all year long.

It took UND 100 years to win one Division 2 Championship. 

Bottom line is...UND could have "rebuilt" way quicker in Division 2 than they did.

Lennon took what Thomas built and took us all the way to the top. Thomas had to clean up the mess Pat Behrns left behind. Thus the difference.

I will argue that the athletic department did not give Lennon the resources needed to be great year in and year out. If they had, we might have become what GVSU became during the 2000's (not to open up old wounds, but it's true). Now we have an administration that is committed to putting the necessary resources into the program (IPF, FCOA, etc.) to make it a perennial FCS power. It is just too bad that the athletic department was in chaos when Lennon left for SIU and we promoted Mussman from within. We are still paying for that right now.

In basketball, you can have one player change the program overnight. Football is more of a numbers game and requires a lot more time to build a program into what you want it to be. NDSU did a good job building their program during their transition (their 3-8 year in 2009 notwithstanding) so that when they were playoff eligible, the program was ready to take off. UND meanwhile spent most of the transition losing to USF and getting blown out by established FCS programs.

These aren't excuses, they are facts. And facts tend to be stubborn things. It is way too early to talk regime change.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

These aren't excuses, they are facts. And facts tend to be stubborn things. It is way too early to talk regime change.

Bubba is in year four. 

Roger won a playoff game in year 7 you said.

How many years do you give Bubba to win a playoff game?

Just now, Cratter said:

Bubba is year four. 

Roger won a playoff game in year 7 you said.

How many years do you give Bubba to win a playoff game?

Fair question. I think the next 2 to 3 years will tell us if Bubba is the answer or not. How the team responds to today will tell us a lot about Bubba and this staff, as getting a team to rebound after a bad game is an essential part of their jobs. George Steinbrenner changed managers almost as often as he changed underwear. And the Yankees wallowed in mediocrity for years, in part, because of that. We should not talk regime change this year or next.

Has STREVELER changed the USD program or this team?  Would argue that he has made a huge difference for USD team just like Braden Hanson made for Mussman, but STREVELER makes a the whole offense more potent as someone needs to be watching him at all times.  Braden Hanson had fantastic passing games against Montana and others, but his presence wasn't lasting.

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

Has STREVELER changed the USD program or this team?  Would argue that he has made a huge difference for USD team just like Braden Hanson made for Mussman, but STREVELER makes a the whole offense more potent as someone needs to be watching him at all times.  Braden Hanson had fantastic passing games against Montana and others, but his presence wasn't lasting.

He be the the starting QB for the Gophers now if he stayed.

Bubba's cupboard wasn't bare when he got here.  He had 2 of the best receivers in FCS, Golloway and  Jackson, I think Hardin had graduated by then.  He also had a decent throwing qb in Mohlberg (sp).  Golloway and Jackson left when it was made clear that UND was going to emphasize the running game.  Look at Golloway now, the Lions seem to like him.

As far as how as how long it takes to turn a program around 4-5 years is in the ballpark and Bubba has done a good job.  The South Dakota coach , after 2 years, apparently has turned the 'toes around.  I have a theory that says, "show me coach that turns a program around in 1-2 years and I'll show you a coach that's cheating."  The easiest way to do that is academically.  Recruit good talent that most other schools won't because they have a hard time finding their way to their classrooms.