SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs USD

Nodak78

1 minute ago, Siouxfan69 said:

Bubba's cupboard wasn't bare when he got here.  He had 2 of the best receivers in FCS, Golloway and  Jackson, I think Hardin had graduated by then.  He also had a decent throwing qb in Mohlberg (sp).  Golloway and Jackson left when it was made clear that UND was going to emphasize the running game.  Look at Golloway now, the Lions seem to like him.

As far as how as how long it takes to turn a program around 4-5 years is in the ballpark and Bubba has done a good job.  The South Dakota coach , after 2 years, apparently has turned the 'toes around.  I have a theory that says, "show me coach that turns a program around in 1-2 years and I'll show you a coach that's cheating."  The easiest way to do that is academically.  Recruit good talent that most other schools won't because they have a hard time finding their way to their classrooms.  

Nick Saban.  Urban Meyer.  Brian Kelly.  These guys all had their teams in title games within 3 years of getting their current jobs.  Granted, 3 football schools.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxfan69 said:

Bubba's cupboard wasn't bare when he got here.  He had 2 of the best receivers in FCS, Golloway and  Jackson, I think Hardin had graduated by then.  He also had a decent throwing qb in Mohlberg (sp).  Golloway and Jackson left when it was made clear that UND was going to emphasize the running game.  Look at Golloway now, the Lions seem to like him.

As far as how as how long it takes to turn a program around 4-5 years is in the ballpark and Bubba has done a good job.  The South Dakota coach , after 2 years, apparently has turned the 'toes around.  I have a theory that says, "show me coach that turns a program around in 1-2 years and I'll show you a coach that's cheating."  The easiest way to do that is academically.  Recruit good talent that most other schools won't because they have a hard time finding their way to their classrooms.  

Golladay left before Bubba was hired. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Siouxfan69 said:

First off, it's Golladay. Second off, he was gone the second Muss got fired. Third, and most importantly of all, Muss left holes all over his roster. He left 3 decent LBs, 1 safety, 0 corners, and 0 DL. On offense he left a couple decent hogs 1 rb and a good qb who got injured. It takes a hell of a lot more than that to win. Bubba started basically from scratch.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Siouxfan69 said:

You said Bubba's cupboard wasn't bare, gave examples of why, and then noted that those players left the team once Bubba was hired. So yes, the cupboard was bare. You also are not discussing how much house cleaning he had to do when he took over. There were players with bad attitudes who weren't going to work out in Bubba's system and either quit or were kicked off the team. I didn't expect this team to do what they did last year, so I think Bubba is ahead of schedule despite what happened today.

3 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Nick Saban.  Urban Meyer.  Brian Kelly.  These guys all had their teams in title games within 3 years of getting their current jobs.  Granted, 3 football schools.

Are you suggesting that Alabama, Ohio State and Notre Dame were in as bad of shape as UND was when Bubba took over? Because if you are, I would like some of the stuff you are smoking. It must be good.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Are you suggesting that Alabama, Ohio State and Notre Dame were in as bad of shape as UND was when Bubba took over? Because if you are, I would like some of the stuff you are smoking. It must be good.

Alabama and Notre Dame....were not good football teams upon the arrival of those two.  As bad of shape as UND, no.  But they didn't merely crack the top 24 teams within a few years...they reached(or nearly reached) the pinnacle of collegiate football.

Fortunately I couldn't watch the game......just read through a few pages......ugh!.  Sounds like many people , players to blame .    Completely embarrassed today!!! Congrats to USD.  

ILB is just WAY to banged up. Starting 195 lb walk on freshman!?  Love the guy (Rastas) but he should not be starting at this point in his career.  If Donnell and Connor were the starters today UND would have faired much better.  ILB have lost Poole, Connor( massive), Donnell( massive), Cam, Noah (big) ......way to much. When half of your two deep is walk ons.....you know that position is hurting .    Not to mention jake hasnt played that position before this year.  The whole LB in general is just way to light. All balance around 200 lbs.   They need beef to sustain this style of offensive play with constant 300-315 lb men leaning and pushing on them. 

At this point I think UND needs to go undefeated, earn automatic bid, in big sky to have a chance at playoffs. The big sky OOC has been brutal this year   9-2 and at very least 8-3( one conf loss)

I turn many colors thinking about Rudolph......I have spoken my frustration with him for three years.  As loyal as bubba is , he needs to make a decision. When drake scores the same as UND!!!!!....there's issues.  No $&@&!  excuses !! EMBERRASING!! 

The D didn't play well either but going against a style of offense, you need your offense to burn off mins to keep the D fresh.  USD exposed unds lightweight LB crew today....fortunately UND gets the big sky teams that really don't offer the same style of offensive attacks.  

Unfortunately UND isn't a contender at the moment.....to many question marks and injuries. Long season yet ....they have time to turn it around and it starts with Mont st.  

Bubba better be losing his voice screaming at coaches and players alike on the ride home.  USD punced the !@#$ out you for a KO.  Made UND look like a high school team.  Never seen a bubba team so undisciplined.....

NO MORE INJURIES!!!! 

• Upvote 2

Just now, JohnboyND7 said:

Alabama and Notre Dame....were not good football teams upon the arrival of those two.  As bad of shape as UND, no.  But they didn't merely crack the top 24 teams within a few years...they reached(or nearly reached) the pinnacle of collegiate football.

We are comparing Bubba to 2 of the greatest college football coaches in history in Meyer and Saban.  Remember this was one game, if an egg is laid next week, then I will be really concerned.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JohnboyND7 said:

And as geaux_sioux pointed out, they have huge football budgets. And they are big name FB schools with lots of name recognition and historical resumes that help attract the best kids. Bubba essentially took over the college equivalent of an NFL expansion team. Started from square one. Not easy to do.

This loss certainly doesn't help the fan momentum coupled with the whole game day experience upgrades, and it feels like the air has just been let out of the room. If you want butts in seats you need to have a good product on the field. Today we took a huge step back. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Any coach that comes in usually has some rebuilding to do...thats why they are the new coach.

(Unless the former coach retired. Or got caught in scandals.)

But not every coach who is hired is inheriting a college expansion team. That is what Bubba took over less than four years ago. The rest of this season will tell us a lot about this team and the coaching staff.

3 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Fortunately I couldn't watch the game......just read through a few pages......ugh!.  Sounds like many people , players to blame .    Completely embarrassed today!!! Congrats to USD.  

ILB is just WAY to banged up. Starting 195 lb walk on freshman!?  Love the guy (Rastas) but he should not be starting at this point in his career.  If Donnell and Connor were the starters today UND would have faired much better.  ILB have lost Poole, Connor( massive), Donnell( massive), Cam, Noah (big) ......way to much. When half of your two deep is walk ons.....you know that position is hurting .    Not to mention jake hasnt played that position before this year.  The whole LB in general is just way to light. All balance around 200 lbs.   They need beef to sustain this style of offensive play with constant 300-315 lb men leaning and pushing on them. 

At this point I think UND needs to go undefeated, earn automatic bid, in big sky to have a chance at playoffs. The big sky OOC has been brutal this year   9-2 and at very least 8-3( one conf loss)

I turn many colors thinking about Rudolph......I have spoken my frustration with him for three years.  As loyal as bubba is , he needs to make a decision. When drake scores the same as UND!!!!!....there's issues.  No $&@&!  excuses !! EMBERRASING!! 

The D didn't play well either but going against a style of offense, you need your offense to burn off mins to keep the D fresh.  USD exposed unds lightweight LB crew today....fortunately UND gets the big sky teams that really don't offer the same offensive attacks.  

Unfortunately UND isn't a contender at the moment.....to many question marks and injuries. Long season yet ....they have time to turn it around and it starts with Mont st.  

Bubba better be losing his voice screaming at coaches and players alike on the ride home.  USD punced the !@#$ out you for a KO.  Made UND look like a high school team.  Never seen a bubba team so undisciplined.....

NO MORE INJURIES!!!! 

Best post about game, season and state of program I have seen on here.  Bubba ball requires the O to be able to grind time off the clock and needs to be able to stop the run.  We did neither today.  Until we can get the problems at Oline and ILB solved I for one am glad we play in BIG SKY.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But not every coach who is hired is inheriting a college expansion team. That is what Bubba took over less than four years ago. The rest of this season will tell us a lot about this team and the coaching staff.

Nielson took over a USD team that finished. 3-5 in their conference.

Bubba took over a UND team that was 2-6 in their conference.

It's not this major difference that you make it out to be.

Just now, Cratter said:

Neilson took over a USD team that finished. 3-5 in their conference.

Bubba took over a UND team that was 2-6 in their conference.

It's not this major difference that you make it out to be.

I will argue that USD was in much better shape as a program than UND was. With all due respect, it IS the "major difference" I am making it out to be.

16 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Notre Dame had no business playing for a national title, the only reason they did is because the guy got catfished and the media felt sorry that his fake girlfriend died on the same day his grandma died.

11 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Notre Dame still isn't good. The year they played for the championship Alabama showed them they had no business being there.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Notre Dame had no business playing for a national title, the only reason they did is because the guy got catfished and the media felt sorry that his fake girlfriend died on the same day his grandma died.

When someone shows me a team with a better resume than them that year, I'll listen.  

You aren't leaving a 12-0 P5 team out of the national championship game unless you end up with 3 of them(see Auburn).