SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp Updates 2017

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, PATRIOT said:

I THINK this means he could be available in Dec if allowed by UND....

The NCAA verbiage you quoted seems slightly contradictory. Is it one full competitive season of eligibility lost or one full calendar year, it says both but it can't be both in this case. Very confusing.

He lost a full year of eligibility and won't play this season.

Made a dumb mistake, though from what I understand of what happened, I think the penalty is overly harsh, but my opinion doesn't matter nor is it an exuse and he has to live with the consequences.

4th string, non-scholarship running back, wouldn't be a blip on the radar let alone make the newspaper other places. I'll give him credit for sticking it out instead of quitting or transferring, it is going to be a tough year for him.

The staff wasn't hiding anything, they are limited on what they can say to begin with.

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Not sure I'm following you, but it's my understanding that UND coaches made the decision a long time ago (well before camp started) to suspend AG for the season and AG was well aware of it. I found out last week that he wasnt going to play this season.  I chose not to say anything about it until it was officially reported. That happened today. There are student privacy rules at play here that limits what UND can say. If anything it is UND that has taken the hard high road here and AG respects the decision and has worked his ass off on the practice field despite it all. 

Ok thanks for the clarification. I didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression that UND sat on this.

8 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Not sure I'm following you, but it's my understanding that UND coaches made the decision a long time ago (well before camp started) to suspend AG for the season and AG was well aware of it. I found out last week that he wasnt going to play this season.  I chose not to say anything about it until it was officially reported. That happened today. There are student privacy rules at play here that limits what UND can say. If anything it is UND that has taken the hard high road here and AG respects the decision and has worked his ass off on the practice field despite it all. 

You are correct - a dumb one-time decision last fall will cost Gordon a year of eligibility.  The coaches have been aware of it for months.   

11 hours ago, Bison06 said:

The NCAA verbiage you quoted seems slightly contradictory. Is it one full competitive season of eligibility lost or one full calendar year, it says both but it can't be both in this case. Very confusing.

By design maybe??

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Doesn't the NCAA test a number of players randomly from each squad after an FCS playoff game? 

Do the teams also do testing outside of what the NCAA does for playoff competition?   Seem like a lot of this stuff is uncovered at playoff time in general at the FCS level.

10 minutes ago, Herd said:

Do the teams also do testing outside of what the NCAA does for playoff competition?   Seem like a lot of this stuff is uncovered at playoff time in general at the FCS level.

Why would you test your team?

You have team rules.
You expect your guys to abide by them, don't you? 

I find situations like this not only an NCAA rules violation but a breech of trust. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why would you test your team?

You have team rules.
You expect your guys to abide by them, don't you? 

I find situations like this not only an NCAA rules violation but a breech of trust. 

Not to point out the obvious, but human beings aren't always so trustworthy.

They shoplift from local sporting goods stores, they sell illegal drugs, they say they'll play and then don't show up . . .

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

They shoplift from local sporting goods stores, they sell illegal drugs, they say they'll play and then don't show up . . .

Where the heck would you get those obscure examples from ;)

8 hours ago, 77iceman said:

And, the coach says, they'll play better than last year, and they doooo.

Watch out Hawk's Nest - your gonna have a full house.

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Any update on Larson? After listening to the UND360 podcast, it seemed those guys still thought as of now, he was getting his shirt pulled. Craig seemed to be aware of his knee as well. 

I heard out for a week, but don't think there  is any doubt the shirt is getting pulled.  He is ready to play 

16 minutes ago, ND1 said:

I heard out for a week, but don't think there  is any doubt the shirt is getting pulled.  He is ready to play 

That's good news, just being a parrot of the podcast, but Larson needs to be one of the guys on the inside this year. Sounds like the coaches really want Disterhaupt on the outside. Utah can't come soon enough. Coming into Fall camp I was skeptical of two positions, LB & Safety. Feel better about LB with the emergence of Hass to go along w/ Rodgers, Disterhaupt, Lawrence as well as Larson. All eyes are on the Safety position.  

22 minutes ago, AJS said:

That's good news, just being a parrot of the podcast, but Larson needs to be one of the guys on the inside this year. Sounds like the coaches really want Disterhaupt on the outside. Utah can't come soon enough. Coming into Fall camp I was skeptical of two positions, LB & Safety. Feel better about LB with the emergence of Hass to go along w/ Rodgers, Disterhaupt, Lawrence as well as Larson. All eyes are on the Safety position.  

I would add the o-line to that list. The offense will go as they go.

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Friday practice update:

The boys reported for duty this morning in half pads and a select few must have showed up with less than half the effort, as Bubba used another chew-out session to get his team's collective mind ready for what's ahead. "How you practice is how you play," he said.

• Dranka and Larson were among those still out nursing various health conditions. You can add Engwall to that list too. There are others but they've been mentioned on here before. This is by no means atypical for fall camp for any team. From the Bozos to the south to the Coyotes even farther south, teams are nursing their own fair share of bumps and bruises. I read something the other day that Bob Nielson at USD said that he had something like 25 players out at one time with various health concerns -- four seemed to be long term.
  • On the flipside, the Fighting Hawks welcomed back to practice guys such as a Mikey Greibel, Seibel, Pinke, Mason Bennett and even McKinney played limited reps with his hard cast on his right arm (don't read too much into that... i would assume he still won't factor in this season.)
  • A couple of guys did sit out early in practice with lower body issues -- They were J.J. and Izzy.
  • During skelly drills, Ketteringham had the best play with a long bomb to WR Jack Pifer in tight coverage. Pifer when up high and caught the pass in the end zone.
  • S Chuck Flowers came to play today -- and by that I mean play rough-- he had a couple of PBUs along the sidelines with receivers. Chuck might have been a little more aggressive than coaches would want him to be in practice. No harm no foul, though.
  • During team drills, WR Noah Wanzek went up high to pull down a 40 yard pass from Studsrud.  Studsrud scrambled to his right and heaved what might have been not the most advisable pass into double coverage. Still, Wanzek went up between Geier and Blubaugh and snatched the ball at an altitude his defenders could not muster.
  • Heidelbaugh then hit WR Stetson Carr on a quick in route and Carr used good blocking to take it in for what would have been about a 40-plus yard TD.
  • The defense stepped up with a nice PBU by Canady on Carr that would have gone for a TD.
  • Boltmann finished things off for the day with a nice toss down field to WR Travis Toivonnen who did a superb job of going up high over defender Kyle Heipas along the sidelines and still coming down within bounds and scampering in for the TD.

Thanks Teeder.