fightingsioux4life

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

2,152 posts in this topic

Just now, SWSiouxMN said:

... and this is yearly correct?

That was for FY2015. (It was slightly lower for WIH, MSD, WSD in FY2014 at $2,029,065.) 

So yes, that is an annual number. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The latest numbers I have:

Operating Expense:
WIH -- $1,492,827
MSD -- $358,041
WSD -- $591,646

Operating Revenue: 
WIH -- $29,239
MSD -- $31,458
WSD -- $39,194

Net:
WIH -- $1,463,588
MSD -- $326,583
WSD -- $552,452

FCOA not included there. Over $100k there. Nor is REA rental cost that was 100% attributed to men's hockey. $500k 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

The university has a problem funding everything right now. If we didn't cut that or any sports that we are required to keep right now for both Summit and Big Sky, cuts are made academically. 

You make it sound like certain cuts in academia would be a bad thing for UND.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

209.   209 fans in attendance at one of the Ohio State playoff games.   I wonder how many social justice warriors we'll hear from.  

Two hundred nine. 

Nope. Doesn't look any better written out. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

I believe his contract runs thru June. Is he supposed to just stop working because he hasn't received an extension?

I'm guessing that Idalski wasn't totally oblivious to what was going on around him if some people on this board were thinking it was a strong possibility it could be cut.  I think if my contract was up and there was silence on the renewal, I would be addressing it with my superior. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I'd rather see UND cut the waste of a football team,

rent the Alerus out to RDO for potato storage and use the income to put up a parking structure for fans at REA.

Not to mention the extra sheet of practice ice we can get into the Betty.

I would like them to cut Women's hockey.  Oh, they did.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UND GUY said:

FCOA not included there. Over $100k there. Nor is REA rental cost that was 100% attributed to men's hockey. $500k 

I noted that just now in my original post. (Same source as my other numbers.) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

209.   209 fans in attendance at one of the Ohio State playoff games.   I wonder how many social justice warriors we'll hear from.  

The numbers tell the story of this cut. It is entirely jusitified and necessary. 

Still, there will be anti-empricial data folks trying to paint a different picture in arguing that the financial/attendance common sense should've been ignored (well, it's already happening).

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we are seeing all kinds of information on WIH, anyone see anything on swim/dive?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CMSB95 said:

So we are seeing all kinds of information on WIH, anyone see anything on swim/dive?

It's in the same Herald article

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I'd rather see UND cut the waste of a football team,

rent the Alerus out to RDO for potato storage and use the income to put up a parking structure for fans at REA.

Not to mention the extra sheet of practice ice we can get into the Betty.

The time to cut FB would have been at the start of our Division I transition period. That is how Omaha did it. But now that we have a practice facility built big enough for FB and have invested real money into it, it is too late to cut FB.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If (big if) this is true in ten minutes, I note that they've chopped significantly more that $1.3 million. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funding other sports at a championship level. Raises for coaching staffs, especially assistants?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If (big if) this is true in ten minutes, I note that they've chopped significantly more that $1.3 million. 

That is a good thing.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Funny that small colleges can fund a women's hockey program, but MIGHTY UND cannot.  As an alumn, I am embarrassed right now.

Funny that large colleges like Michigan and Notre Dame choose not to fund women's hockey but UND is supposed to with next to zero fan support.  

209 fans to a playoff game.  209. You should be embarrassed about that. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Kennedy is studied up on the numbers and is prepared for this press conference.  The numbers, if forcefully argued, can effectively defend the decision.  He needs to not only explain how this decision alleviates the budget concern, but also why it the best (if not "only) decision to make.  He needs to address other options that were considered and why they would not have worked, or why they would have been detrimental to more athletes, etc.  He can't take an approach of not commenting on other sports that were considered.  He needs to go full frontal on accounting issues in this presser.  If he's not prepared on the numbers and does not perform well in this presser, things could get a little ugly for a while.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If (big if) this is true in ten minutes, I note that they've chopped significantly more that $1.3 million. 

He did say he only wanted to do this once, yes it was a mess, but this would take care of it. Time to competitively pay our coaches for remaining sports.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mksioux said:

I hope Kennedy is studied up on the numbers and is prepared for this press conference.  The numbers, if forcefully argued, can effectively defend the decision.  He needs to not only explain how this decision alleviates the budget concern, but also why it the best (if not "only) decision to make.  He needs to address other options that were considered and why they would not have worked, or why they would have been detrimental to more athletes, etc.  He can't take an approach of not commenting on other sports that were considered.  He needs to go full frontal on accounting issues in this presser.  If he's not prepared on the numbers and does not perform well in this presser, things could get a little ugly for a while.  

That won't be Kennedy. That'll be the consultant that they hired. Gay-ron-teed. 

Kennedy will make the initial statement; Faison will make some words about "informed teams"; consultants will explain the numbers. Takers on that prediction? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

That won't be Kennedy. That'll be the consultant that they hired. Gay-ron-teed. 

Kennedy will make the initial statement; Faison will make some words about "informed teams"; consultants will explain the numbers. Takers on that prediction? 

You could be right, but I would prefer it if Kennedy showed some level of command with the numbers and demonstrates that he was involved and invested in this decision.  But if there is a consultant who provides some of the accounting details and Title IX concerns, that would be good as well.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the consultants will talk.  It will be Faison and Kennedy. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now