SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I do understand your position here, probably more than most. I work with journalists every day. As I type this there are a dozen journalists working at their desks within earshot of mine. However I work on the business side of things and I fully support the decisions made today.

In reference to Brad, this is a prime example of someone who should have two twitter accounts. One for his personal opinions and one for work. I would follow his work account because I think he is a great journalist. If this were the case I would not have spoken out. He started this with his crusade for the Womens national team and now it continues with the money pit that is UND Womens hockey. Not once did I see him objectively report things such as financials. If we can get this info, he can too. IMO he made a mistake here by being completely on one side. He is fair game in my eyes.

Dang it, I'm out of thumbs ups. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I'm giving him a pass on this one.  It's his livelihood that is also taking a hit today.  His friends just lost their jobs and some people he has really come to know will be leaving in the near future.  It's unfair, it's not fun for anyone.  I don't understand those who are giddy about this decision. Is it good for UND?  It seems like it, but these are still people that are being affected.  Brad is a reporter yes, but he's not tweeting from the Herald account.  He's expressing his feelings on his personal account and I'm sure he's not having the best day, just like the Hockey and S/D athletes and coaches aren't.

Agreed. It is funny that when Schlossman keeps his mouth shut about issues like this, people on here love him. But as soon as he starts taking positions that are unpopular to a majority of posters on this forum, people suddenly don't like him anymore. If he wants to express his opinions and feelings on his personal Twitter account, he has the right to do that. We don't own him and neither does anyone else.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I do understand your position here, probably more than most. I work with journalists every day. As I type this there are a dozen journalists working at their desks within earshot of mine. However I work on the business side of things and I fully support the decisions made today.

In reference to Brad, this is a prime example of someone who should have two twitter accounts. One for his personal opinions and one for work. I would follow his work account because I think he is a great journalist. If this were the case I would not have spoken out. He started this with his crusade for the Womens national team and now it continues with the money pit that is UND Womens hockey. Not once did I see him objectively report things such as financials. If we can get this info, he can too. IMO he made a mistake here by being completely on one side. He is fair game in my eyes.

He does.

8 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Really?

This is the only one I am aware of. This is also the account he reports all his news on a well as his opinions on Womens hockey:

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF

I think https://twitter.com/gfherald is the Grand Forks Herald account. Perhaps Herald reporters don't have their own work accounts.

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

No I just replied to a dumb question with my own dumb question. I have explained in multiple posts on here why I am less than impressed with him lately.

1. who cares what account he uses, he's not a UND employee so you're saying the Herald cannot criticize UND?  2. his criticism is mainly how the situations were being handled by USA Hockey and UND.  Both handled them in a bush league manner which is indefensible.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, hrkac said:

1. who cares what account he uses, he's not a UND employee so you're saying the Herald cannot criticize UND?  2. his criticism is mainly how the situations were being handled by USA Hockey and UND.  Both handled them in a bush league manner which is indefensible.   

1) I do. He is a public figure and good journalists put their feelings and personal opinions aside and report facts as is. Show me where he broke down the actual figures. His main argument is about placing women on the olympic team. He is playing off of emotions as evidenced by his posting history ever since the budget issues surfaced. Not even once did he reference how much this program costs the university. You don't have to like it but I believe UND made the correct decision today and Brad is publicly pouting.

2) how exactly would you handle this situation? There is no good way to handle this. If the coaches knew in advance this would have leaked sooner and people would be complaining about that. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

1) I do. He is a public figure and good journalists put their feelings and personal opinions aside and report facts as is. Show me where he broke down the actual figures. His main argument is about placing women on the olympic team. He is playing off of emotions as evidenced by his posting history ever since the budget issues surfaced. Not even once did he reference how much this program costs the university. You don't have to like it but I believe UND made the correct decision today and Brad is publicly pouting.

2) how exactly would you handle this situation? There is no good way to handle this. If the coaches knew in advance this would have leaked sooner and people would be complaining about that. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

1. again, he's not a university employee so his opinions are his.  you want him to tow the company line by UND

2. You handle the situations exactly the opposite from what happened.  Get way out in front of it, inform those affected well in advance of any possible leak.  This is a PR nightmare that is on a national level.  UND looks like a joke from this, baseball, and the nickname.  The reputation of the university is damaged and handling things like they did today shows what a joke they are.  

also, how do the small schools like UMD, Bemidji, etc.. have women's hockey and UND doesn't?  If you want to be big time, you find a way to keep things like womens hockey. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, hrkac said:

1. again, he's not a university employee so his opinions are his.  you want him to tow the company line by UND

2. You handle the situations exactly the opposite from what happened.  Get way out in front of it, inform those affected well in advance of any possible leak.  This is a PR nightmare that is on a national level.  UND looks like a joke from this, baseball, and the nickname.  The reputation of the university is damaged and handling things like they did today shows what a joke they are.  

also, how do the small schools like UMD, Bemidji, etc.. have women's hockey and UND doesn't?  If you want to be big time, you find a way to keep things like womens hockey. 

https://www.bemidjistate.edu/faculty_staff/faculty_association/senate_agenda_attachments/docs/20130128/Attach for 13 01-28 - Athletics.pdf

Bemidji found a way to balance their projected Revenue and Expenses atleast for FY2013.

19 minutes ago, hrkac said:

You handle the situations exactly the opposite from what happened.  Get way out in front of it, inform those affected well in advance of any possible leak.  This is a PR nightmare that is on a national level.  UND looks like a joke from this, baseball, and the nickname.  The reputation of the university is damaged and handling things like they did today shows what a joke they are.

Totally agree. Very well stated in the bolded part. Yet there are plenty that would argue those chanting "Sioux Forever" at a hockey game or UND fans not wearing the new FH logo gear is really what is "damaging" to the university. The way things unfolded today was embarrassing. SMH.

• Upvote 1

I just want to break from hockey and touch on swimming and diving for a moment. I question how much they'll really save on this. Yes you don't have to be the coaches or the travel cost, but they'll still have to maintain the pool for students. It just seems to me that they're transferring the costs to the facilities and academic books. Plus they have historically been a pretty good team. It would have made more sense to cut softball or tennis.

16 minutes ago, hrkac said:

They did inform those affected and it leaked.  I find it hard to believe any student athlete affected, or their families would have kept it quiet if they were told two weeks ago.  

• Upvote 1

From reading in the past, it seems as if there were some here crying afoul about UND's Title IX situation. Over-compliant, or hyper-compliant were the terms.

This absolutely proves that, doesn't it?There was some deception going on within the athletic dept from Title IX backers......or some people didn't understand the rules.

Sure do hope the higher-ups who were pushing the hyper-compliance concept are going to be shown the door. They're partially to blame for the dog and pony show in the athletic department over the past year and some months. They've added to the confusion & created a fear of doing wrong by Title IX. Which was a lie.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND GUY said:

From reading in the past, it seems as if there were some here crying afoul about UND's Title IX situation. Over-compliant, or hyper-compliant were the terms.

This absolutely proves that, doesn't it?There was some deception going on within the athletic dept from Title IX backers......or some people didn't understand the rules.

Sure do hope the higher-ups who were pushing the hyper-compliance concept are going to be shown the door. They're partially to blame for the dog and pony show in the athletic department over the past year and some months. They've added to the confusion & created a fear of doing wrong by Title IX. Which was a lie.

Or...

baseball and men's golf were sacrificed last year to clear the Title IX path to drop women's hockey now. 

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Schlossman has shown numerous times that he is a great reporter when he wants to be.  He can dig, find facts, break them down, and put together a very informative and enlightening article.  Even when he's presenting an opinion piece, he has the capability to back up his opinion with a comprehensive set of facts.  That is why his shoddy coverage of the US women's national team story has been so disappointing.  He can have an opinion, but he omitted key basic facts and failed to give his readers a complete picture of the situation.  You are absolutely correct, he played off people's emotions.  He's a better journalist than that.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2