SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

54 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I just want to break from hockey and touch on swimming and diving for a moment. I question how much they'll really save on this. Yes you don't have to be the coaches or the travel cost, but they'll still have to maintain the pool for students. It just seems to me that they're transferring the costs to the facilities and academic books. Plus they have historically been a pretty good team. It would have made more sense to cut softball or tennis.

when hyslop is torn down in a couple years they would have no where to swim anyways...once phase 2 is complete that buidling and its expesnive maintainece is gone forever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hrkac said:

1. again, he's not a university employee so his opinions are his.  you want him to tow the company line by UND

2. You handle the situations exactly the opposite from what happened.  Get way out in front of it, inform those affected well in advance of any possible leak.  This is a PR nightmare that is on a national level.  UND looks like a joke from this, baseball, and the nickname.  The reputation of the university is damaged and handling things like they did today shows what a joke they are.  

also, how do the small schools like UMD, Bemidji, etc.. have women's hockey and UND doesn't?  If you want to be big time, you find a way to keep things like womens hockey. 

If you haven't figured out that college sports is big business now, you haven't been paying attention. If you want to compete at a high level you can't have dead weight holding you back.  UND chose to carry dead weight for a long time until their hand was forced because of the necessity for budget cuts.  Do you continue spending when you can't meet the mortgage payment, or do you figure out what isn't essential or what is dragging you down.  You must have something invested in this, but no matter how much it hurts it had to be done.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hrkac said:

1. again, he's not a university employee so his opinions are his.  you want him to tow the company line by UND

2. You handle the situations exactly the opposite from what happened.  Get way out in front of it, inform those affected well in advance of any possible leak.  This is a PR nightmare that is on a national level.  UND looks like a joke from this, baseball, and the nickname.  The reputation of the university is damaged and handling things like they did today shows what a joke they are.  

also, how do the small schools like UMD, Bemidji, etc.. have women's hockey and UND doesn't?  If you want to be big time, you find a way to keep things like womens hockey. 

You didn't miss my point, you chose to not acknowledge it. Brad is a reporter and failed to report the entire story. Instead he chose to ignore facts and play on people's emotion. His reporting on this has been a complete half story and I know he is better than that. I think a spot at CNN just opened up for him. 

Lastly, anyone who thinks objectively knows that Womens hockey and big time do not belong in the same sentence.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxweet said:

I am guessing that part of the money saved will go to the Summit for penalties for cutting swimming and diving.

The only penalty UND will have be if to leave the WCHA. That was reported today. 

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

when hyslop is torn down in a couple years they would have no where to swim anyways...once phase 2 is complete that buidling and its expesnive maintainece is gone forever.

Unless they changed the plans, Phase II won't replace the Hyslop. Could do some interesting things with it depending on a few different things. 

I don't know for sure but was told that students no longer have access to the Hyslop pool anymore? If true, not sure how that plays into anything. 

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

You didn't miss my point, you chose to not acknowledge it. Brad is a reporter and failed to report the entire story. Instead he chose to ignore facts and play on people's emotion. His reporting on this has been a complete half story and I know he is better than that. I think a spot at CNN just opened up for him. 

Lastly, anyone who thinks objectively knows that Womens hockey and big time do not belong in the same sentence.

another example of how far back journalistic integrity has fallen. It is darn near impossible to get a full story on a topic anymore without going to various resources, it shouldn't have to be that way. Publishing the numbers would have ruined his argument so why even bring it up, he was simply talking from emotion and while that is his right, as a journalist more should be expected.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Csonked Out said:

another example of how far back journalistic integrity has fallen. It is darn near impossible to get a full story on a topic anymore without going to various resources, it shouldn't have to be that way. Publishing the numbers would have ruined his argument so why even bring it up, he was simply talking from emotion and while that is his right, as a journalist more should be expected.

I agree with you 100%. 

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The only penalty UND will have be if to leave the WCHA. That was reported today. 

Unless they changed the plans, Phase II won't replace the Hyslop. Could do some interesting things with it depending on a few different things. 

I don't know for sure but was told that students no longer have access to the Hyslop pool anymore? If true, not sure how that plays into anything. 

would love it if bball came back to the hyslop...tearn down the swimming side (not needed and looks ugly)...now without womens hockey the rea is all men's hockey...if bball ever gets their own place the betty would be all vball...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Should have went even deeper into the numbers but at least they put the total savings of the three programs, it's a start. 

Cue the "You can't handle the truth" clip............

32 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Let's not forget these green-bleeders who are likely hurting tonight.

SBVJOAMJNCQUMLH.20160916001947.thumb.jpg.82bdf2ade8534068c9bfcdc5e6d42f2f.jpg

UADMHMSAFTEZWRU.20160916001930.thumb.jpg.2cf2d52e31c8db53c75e6e16a68384d7.jpg

(I had no idea how big swimming and diving teams were.)

That's why combined they were $1,000,000 in the red last year.

Mark Kennedy made a tough decision.  While I hate to see programs go, I understand why it had to happen.  $2.5 million is no chump change.

Should this have been done sooner, absolutely.  Its done now. 

The sun will rise tomorrow and we will move on. 

And there better not be a peep out of the faculty this time. They had their chance

From Tom Miller's article: 

UND needed to narrow the focus. To me, the dilemma for years has been that UND could either be average at a bunch of sports or be good at fewer sports.

Wasn't there a UND president not that long ago that said something like pick a few things and do them exceptionally well at the highest level you can. (Hint: CE Kupchella) 

56 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Let's not forget these green-bleeders who are likely hurting tonight.

SBVJOAMJNCQUMLH.20160916001947.thumb.jpg.82bdf2ade8534068c9bfcdc5e6d42f2f.jpg

UADMHMSAFTEZWRU.20160916001930.thumb.jpg.2cf2d52e31c8db53c75e6e16a68384d7.jpg

(I had no idea how big swimming and diving teams were.)

That's a lot of students. The elimination of swimming and diving will be a much bigger and more important loss to the university than the elimination of women's hockey. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My main question for the evening.

Will this be challenged?

If some so called feminist group fronts the money, it can be challenged.  Don't think they would win but starting a legal battle is half ways there is some cases meaning universities like to settle.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

That's a lot of students. The elimination of swimming and diving will be a much bigger and more important loss to the university than the elimination of women's hockey. 

The as-yet untold story.  These are students who live in Grand Forks, many of whom pay tuition and fees, all of whom enroll in courses, participate in student orgs, go home and tell fun stories, buy supplies, pay rent, eat food, buy gas, see movies, buy clothing (including officially licensed Fighting Hawks merchandise)...

In a declining-enrollment era, UND is chasing away student-athletes, who are frequently the most desired students who go about things the right way.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

From Tom Miller's article: 

Wasn't there a UND president not that long ago that said something like pick a few things and do them exceptionally well at the highest level you can. (Hint: CE Kupchella) 

You are correct, and it's one of my favorite letters from a UND president.

http://www.inforum.com/content/und-sees-no-reason-move-division-i

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4242553-und-cuts-womens-hockey-mens-and-womens-swimming

According to this, it pushes it to nearly 3 million in savings

But the poor girls are devastated, and the hundreds of fans that attend the games are really upset. People on FB don't realize the savings, and only see a new sport that needs to grow, and produces a lot of great Olympians. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Stinger_UND said:

You are correct, and it's one of my favorite letters from a UND president.

http://www.inforum.com/content/und-sees-no-reason-move-division-i

We are currently working to establish a Division I Women's Hockey program. This is an expensive venture and we may not reach break-even status for some time

Some time? How about never.