SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

29 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Tough situation for the current student athletes and staff, but no question that long term this is the best move for the university.

I feel the same way. From a personal side, I feel horrible for the student-athletes and coaches. However, from a financial perspective and competitive perspective, this makes so much sense.

Before anyone begins pointing fingers and acting like they have better solutions, consider the statewide deficit as beyond UND's control and, thus, financial solutions limited. 

• Upvote 1

The latest numbers I have:

Operating Expense:
WIH -- $1,492,827 <-- remember that number has NONE of the cost of REA in it (MIH carries all that) 
MSD -- $358,041
WSD -- $591,646

Operating Revenue: 
WIH -- $29,239
MSD -- $31,458
WSD -- $39,194

Net:
WIH -- $1,463,588
MSD -- $326,583
WSD -- $552,452

It's a sad day.  Hopefull this is the last time we have to hear about sports being cut.  In the long run if we are going to be a successful D1 program I'm sure it is for the best, just wish they would have made all the cut this time last year.  Rip the band aid off and be done.  They have been dragging there feet for too long on this.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

The latest numbers I have:

Operating Expense:
WIH -- $1,492,827
MSD -- $358,041
WSD -- $591,646

Operating Revenue: 
WIH -- $29,239
MSD -- $31,458
WSD -- $39,194

Net:
WIH -- $1,463,588
MSD -- $326,583
WSD -- $552,452

So my math has a $2.3 million in savings if correct.

Heaven forbid we continue to pour money into a program that doesn't generate anything. All these people that are complaining about it, where were they when the team wasn't selling tickets? Why are the players surprised that they weren't informed ahead of time? The administration didn't give the baseball team that benefit. Maybe with all the money the twins are going to be making, they can try and fund it themselves. If not, shut up. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, mksioux said:

When all the tweets and facebook posts start coming in from players, alumni, politicians, famous people, etc., we need to keep in mind that everyone who disagrees with this decision is likely to make their opinion public.  However, the people that agree with it, or at least understand it why it happened, have little or no motivation to publicly express their opinion (or be called callous, or even sexist).  So what we see on social media today is not at all indicative of public opinion.  

Kind of like losing the logo???

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxBoys said:

Heaven forbid we continue to pour money into a program that doesn't generate anything. All these people that are complaining about it, where were they when the team wasn't selling tickets? Why are the players surprised that they weren't informed ahead of time? The administration didn't give the baseball team that benefit. Maybe with all the money the twins are going to be making, they can try and fund it themselves. If not, shut up. 

Great post!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mksioux said:

When all the tweets and facebook posts start coming in from players, alumni, politicians, famous people, etc., we need to keep in mind that everyone who disagrees with this decision is likely to make their opinion public.  However, the people that agree with it, or at least understand it why it happened, have little or no motivation to publicly express their opinion (or be called callous, or even sexist).  So what we see on social media today is not at all indicative of public opinion.  

Talk is cheap; it takes money to buy whiskey. 

6 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I'd rather see UND cut the waste of a football team,

rent the Alerus out to RDO for potato storage and use the income to put up a parking structure for fans at REA.

Not to mention the extra sheet of practice ice we can get into the Betty.

This might be the worst post I have ever seen...

• Upvote 4