SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

That's bull$%!#. If they want this thing to work they should allow anyone to submit. A local artist could get way more support (Ben Brein) and would actually understand what was so special about fighting sioux and what the standard is for UND.

Completely agree.  Saw this on other thread.  They should have the logo designed by someone local and/or within UND.

https://www.change.org/p/the-university-of-northd-dakota-fighting-hawks-logo?recruiter=22043669&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_page&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-custom_msg

I was at the game last night. The Sioux chants were as loud as ever. Everyone has really embraced this fabulous new nickname. I was glad the annoucers said North Dakota and not FH. The only Hawks I heard all night was a couple of SCSU fans screaming "let's go Hawks". The many North Dakota fans around him just looked at him. Boy, do we love our new nickname!

"The university will soon issue a Request for Proposal (RFP) inviting professional marketing firms to submit proposals for development of a graphic identity, including a logo and style guidelines, to accompany the new nickname.

UND is not soliciting or accepting graphic identity suggestions from other parties. The selected vendor will work with UND stakeholders to develop potential identities."

There is no way that the agency that gets this proposal submits anything close to what was going around on the Internet as a hawk logo. I do hope they get the message that a Fighting Hawk doesn't have to be a bird ie: it could tie in with the school and regions aviation history. 

It went so well last time bringing in the professionals why wouldn't we double down. 

I thought that we could pick a name and move on but if this continues it may very well linger until we have to do this all again. Getting a great logo would be the only saving grace and getting some random company to create our logo doesn't bode well for it. 

Hey, at least it wasn't saying UND Bison.  

NDSU Bison

Dickinson State Blue Hawks

Miami University Red Hawks 

12 in one hand, a dozen in the other. We have about as generic a name as we can possibly get. So what does it matter what school we are mistaken for? 

• Upvote 1

I'm just impressed that the UND SID twitter account actually tweeted something about UND and not some MLB crap. I don't think that my lack of confidence in any person sitting in an office at UND could get much lower right now. 

That's Jayson personal  twitter account and he's a big MLB fan. The @UNDMHockey twitter account is the one that go for UND hockey info.

Edited by Goon

I hope so but this "professional marketing firm" thing just scares me

Pick a product you like, any product.  Look at it.  Look at its packaging, its design, its logo.  Look at its advertising.  99.9999% of all of that was created by professionals.  And whatever input the owner had, I'm pretty sure that was vetted by the pros as well.

Design is part art, part science, part process, part emotion, part listening, part understanding, part luck, part skill, part passion, and part ego.

It seems a little premature to write off UND on this one.  We can only hope the toxic atmosphere of the nickname debate doesn't scare away the best designers.

• Upvote 3

Pick a product you like, any product.  Look at it.  Look at its packaging, its design, its logo.  Look at its advertising.  99.9999% of all of that was created by professionals.  And whatever input the owner had, I'm pretty sure that was vetted by the pros as well.

Design is part art, part science, part process, part emotion, part listening, part understanding, part luck, part skill, part passion, and part ego.

It seems a little premature to write off UND on this one.  We can only hope the toxic atmosphere of the nickname debate doesn't scare away the best designers.

I thought about that.  And you're right and maybe that will work.  I see the majority of sports logos and I am not encouraged.    You hire a firm that does this, and you get one like everyone else's.  Not that many are all that great, IMO.

Maybe it will work.  I hope so.  I'd be more comfortable knowing that someone who has some passion for the topic is involved, vs. someone working for a paycheck. 

I thought about that.  And you're right and maybe that will work.  I see the majority of sports logos and I am not encouraged.    You hire a firm that does this, and you get one like everyone else's.  Not that many are all that great, IMO.

Maybe it will work.  I hope so.  I'd be more comfortable knowing that someone who has some passion for the topic is involved, vs. someone working for a paycheck. 

Especially if they are trying to create something that will not have any hint of offensiveness or controversy.

• Upvote 1

I've applied for a copyright on my logo design so now I feel better about posting them. I've digitalized them in illustrator and did a couple quick photoshop renderings with hypothetical merchandise. Again, let me know what you think and feel free to be very critical because I'm dead serious about pursuing this. Another thing to remember is that even though UND said they will not accept outside submissions it is America after all and if there is enough support for a good idea I feel they would be open to a logo designed by a local artist who happens to be an alum and former athlete at UND. It would also save a ton of money so there's that.

fighting hawks logo concept 10.jpg

fighting hawks logo concept.jpg

fighting hawks logo concept 2.jpg

fighting hawks concept logo 4.jpg

fighting hawks logo concept 5.jpg

IMG_2343.JPG

• Upvote 3

Very nice!  Not sure how realistic this is, but I really hope this is the new logo.  I can't imagine a professional firm coming up with anything even close to this...they'll come up with something very generic and vanilla.  This is a great logo with some slight ties to the past.  Nice job!

• Upvote 2

Very nice!  Not sure how realistic this is, but I really hope this is the new logo.  I can't imagine a professional firm coming up with anything even close to this...they'll come up with something very generic and vanilla.  This is a great logo with some slight ties to the past.  Nice job!

That's the thing, if we want the logo out of our hands we can sit on them. Or, we can spread better options around and show alternatives. I think we all know that a logo by an alum would help the new nickname catch on faster and sell better. I want Ben Brein to do the logo but I'm not dumb enough to assume they would even contact him so i figured I would take some initiative and hopefully create something decent.