SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Fighting Hawks will be fine if the logo is the one that has been going viral lately that has the Hawk with the colored feathers but there is about no chance that would be approved. I am all for the Roughriders. I don't care about a high school (that I went to) having the same name. The high school in Ames, Iowa is the Cyclones just like Iowa State. 

Fighting Hawks will be fine if the logo is the one that has been going viral lately that has the Hawk with the colored feathers but there is about no chance that would be approved. I am all for the Roughriders. I don't care about a high school (that I went to) having the same name. The high school in Ames, Iowa is the Cyclones just like Iowa State. 

For clarification, the high school in Ames is the Little Cyclones to differentiate from the Iowa State Cyclones.

People must have missed this part of the GF Herald article.

Yeah, I missed that. I am honestly to the point where I am sick and stinking tired of all the nonsense swirling around this campus. The nickname issue, the FCOA issue, it's enough to drive me to drinking (and I don't drink at all). Potato Bowl can't come soon enough, when we can focus on something positive for a change.

For clarification, the high school in Ames is the Little Cyclones to differentiate from the Iowa State Cyclones.

Same thing essentially. We will have a different logo to differentiate. All I am saying is we should not be worried about a high school. Different levels. 

• Upvote 2

I have to laugh at gopher fans hoping we get stuck with a bad nickname.  Guess what, three of the names on that list are better than being a rodent that people paid money for tails to destroy the menacing species.  Just remember, gopher 'holes has more than one meaning too, and the main meaning of gophers isn't exactly a source of pride.

• Downvote 1

Prediction: 

Outside Grand Forks: Roughrider in a landslide

Inside Grand Forks: Roughrider and Fighting Hawks a little closer but Roughrider wins 

I just hope they don't screw up the voting process. I have been active for more than 20 years and get called every 3 months for money and didn't get an email about the upcoming vote. When I went into their system they had my email address correct. 

Ummm my wife & I 

I assume it is a joint vote......... unless you each qualify for a vote under the guidelines. Here is the deal in our house.......we get one vote. My wife and 2 daughters aren't fans of RR. My wife is a WI grad. My 2 daughters aren't even old enough to drive. I write the check for our UND tickets and Champion's Club. I graduated from UND. There are a few times in a household where the minority vote carries the issue in question. "We" will be voting for RR. 

• Upvote 1

Just reading the last few pages of this thread is an absolute confirmation that the process failed and now we are forced to settle for a name that will be far less than The University of North Dakota deserves.

Obviously Nodaks and Sundogs are embarrassingly terrible.

Roughriders will probably be the "winner" when it is all said and done and it is stale at best.

North Stars is far and away the best name left but it is the name of a neighboring state....Stars would have been better. May vote for this with hopes that over time the fans will unofficially shorten it. Similar to how both Fighting Sioux and Sioux have been used over the years.

Fighting Hawks has some logo potential but would have again been better selection if it was a color such as white or green, just Hawks, or a different descriptive term like Prairie or Night or went with Peregrines or Prairie Falcons...currently my second choice.

Many better selections were eliminated during the process which is unfortunate.

I actually like The University of North Dakota Kelly which kind of organically came up in a thread the other day. Allows quite a bit of latitude for a logo much like the Wild.

Edited by petey23
  • Upvote 1

Agreed, had ND been removed as an option to start with there would be better choices remaining.

How would removing North Dakota earlier in the process lead to better choices remaining? The consultants would have still had their "input" and I don't think "no nickname" changed how the committee felt about other nicknames.

I actually like The University of North Dakota Kelly which kind of organically came up in a thread the other day. Allows quite a bit of latitude for a logo much like the Wild.

You want a long-term remembrance of this UND president (Kelley)?

Just when you think this issue is going to be resolved in October, another bureaucrat breathes more life into it:

https://sayanythingblog.com/entry/und-2/

And the key statement that tells you what Ms. Neset wants: 

In other words, Ms. Neset is going to order Kelley to put 'North Dakota' back on the list.

I have a question for Ms. Neset: How many more "quick looks" do you need to give this issue? There have been literally years of "quick looks" given to this issue.

A better idea is to have a "quick look" at Ms. Neset's qualifications (or lack thereof) to hold the job she holds on the SBoHE. :angry: And I mean every single word of that. 

give it a break, we all know how you feel about this issue as you've posted some 500 times. Nothing you do or say is going to change the ev
entualentual outcome. Be happy that the north Dakota option was removed. That's what you were hoping for all along.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

give it a break, we all know how you feel about this issue as you've posted some 500 times. Nothing you do or say is going to change the ev
entualentual outcome. Be happy that the north Dakota option was removed. That's what you were hoping for all along.

Okay, I'll give it a break if you also pledge to "give it a break". Oh, you don't want to stop posting on this topic? Then, no deal.

The USHL Cedar Rapids team (and the affiliate youth league where Doug Smail is a coach) are called the Roughriders.

They have a pretty nice logo IMHO, even has UND colors, so I think I will vote for the 'Riders and suggest we steal their logo (and their best players).

RR.thumb.png.4a3f73fae2be3b530638129bacc