SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs ST. CLOUD Saturday game

Emerald joker

I think you need to give SCSU more credit than you are right now. They are a good team. They were last year and are this year. However, we are/should be one of the Alabamas of college hockey. We are not playing as our team should and is expected to play. We lost to a good team. But a sweep, regardless of the team, at the home is completely unacceptable.

Getting swept at home by Michigan Tech in 2006 was way worse than this. But you are right, this is completely unacceptable for a program of our caliber.

My biggest concern is that the same patterns emerge each year and we have not evolved as a program which falls on the coaching staff. In the Frozen Fours of the past, BC taught the college hockey world that UND is dreadfully awful against a neutral zone trap. Now UMD and St. CLOUD have taken note and use it very successfully against us.

• Upvote 1

My biggest concern is that the same patterns emerge each year and we have not evolved as a program which falls on the coaching staff. In the Frozen Fours of the past, BC taught the college hockey world that UND is dreadfully awful against a neutral zone trap. Now UMD and St. CLOUD have taken note and use it very successfully against us.

I am afraid that your points will fall on deaf ears on this forum. FWIW, I agree with you.

Just got home...tired. 2 points now with more to come tomorrow.

1) When #2 is your most consistent and dependable player every night...others need to pull up their breezers.

2) If you are 5 ft. nothing and are "dynamic"and "electric" with a dream of playing in the NHL you have to bury the puck often at this level...especially with the opportunity of 3 breakways in one game.

Some thoughts:

~UND didn't exactly get swept by the little sisters of the poor. SCSU is a pretty good hockey club. So I'm not jumping off any ledges yet.

~I'm upset that they didn't test Faragher at all during this series. Probably one of his easier weekends in a SCSU jersey.

~Stecher was UND's best player this weekend. I don't think I can remember a time when a Freshman defenseman was UND's best player for an entire weekend.

~The one area that was pretty consistent was goaltending. Zane was steady all weekend.

~Hak said post game that the effort was there. A bit concerning because SCSU dominated play for some prolonged stretches.

Its November. I didn't have this team winning the NCHC. And I'm sure glad that trophies aren't handed out in November. I think UND has played the top two teams in the league with mixed results. They've put themselves in a hole early, but at the same time there are plenty of league games left to get into the mix.

I remember a few years ago UND got swept at home by Michigan Tech in the middle of December. I was ticked, I threw stuff around the house, and vowed that that team wasn't going anywhere.....well, that team proved me wrong. I think this team will prove some doubters wrong eventually too.

• Upvote 1

~Stecher was UND's best player this weekend. I don't think I can remember a time when a Freshman defenseman was UND's best player for an entire weekend.

Roche had that poise with the puck as a freshman. I don't remember a frosh UND dman since then though that matched Stecher in that regard.

Some thoughts:

~UND didn't exactly get swept by the little sisters of the poor. SCSU is a pretty good hockey club. So I'm not jumping off any ledges yet.

~I'm upset that they didn't test Faragher at all during this series. Probably one of his easier weekends in a SCSU jersey.

~The one area that was pretty consistent was goaltending. Zane was steady all weekend.

~Hak said post game that the effort was there. A bit concerning because SCSU dominated play for some prolonged stretches.

Its November. I didn't have this team winning the NCHC. And I'm sure glad that trophies aren't handed out in November. I think UND has played the top two teams in the league with mixed results. They've put themselves in

a hole early, but at the same time there are plenty of league games left to get into the mix.

I remember a few years ago UND got swept at home by Michigan Tech in the middle of December. I was ticked, I threw stuff around the house, and vowed that that team wasn't going anywhere.....well, that team proved me wrong. I think this team will prove some doubters wrong eventually too.

Dude that's a good post, I put it up on my blog for others to see.

Some thoughts:

Its November. I didn't have this team winning the NCHC. And I'm sure glad that trophies aren't handed out in November. I think UND has played the top two teams in the league with mixed results. They've put themselves in a hole early, but at the same time there are plenty of league games left to get into the mix.

Zane had a goal each night that he shouldn't have let in (the first one tonight and the second on Friday).

I don't see how nobody can make passes consistently. (tape to tape passes, not in the skates)

Entries into the offensive zone, either chip the puck off the boards and use the speed this team has the beat the defenseman or throw the puck in the corner and go get it. Ringing the puck around the boards makes it easier for the other team to break the puck out.

Power Play is atrocious, can't set it up, entry into the zone is stopped on the blue line or someone rings the puck around the boards. The power play need crisp passes, the guys need to move to get open when they don't have the puck, and puck movement. It's not hard to beat UND's power play when the guys out there stand there or stand in a spot and stick handle. How about the coach in charge of the power play try 4 forward and 1 defenseman.

Why were there times in the offensive that all 3 forward are below the red line trying to get the puck out of a corner?

Last night's game revolved around 2 plays IMO:

1) Rocco's inability to score SH 2 minutes in on a breakaway.

2) Zane's misplaying a cover up of a rebound that gives SCSU an easy 1st goal.

If both of those go UND's favor, heck if only one does...I think we don't get swept at home...for 1st time in roughly 4 years.

We cannot transition up the ice out of our D zone at all. Horrible passing or chip it out off the boards or glass.

Rocco has to get going for this team to have a shot. Luke needs to center that line next week.

Mark Mac's line just has to show up next week and that will be an improvement.

Assuming Colton can't go...Chyzyk Tambo Murphy then Patty Gaarder Rodwell.

Panz needs to play. He and Rodwell need to provide some grit at this point.

I still like the make up on this team but we are an easy team to play against right now. UND can't give goals away in net though and can't take consecutive shifts off.

I'll echo Wilbur...Stecher is the most complete Fr. Dman I've seen in the last 15+ years at UND.

3 straight NCHC losses...bleeding needs to stop in Omaha.

Although a good bounce or finishing a few good chances may have resulted in a win either night for the Sioux, SC controlled most of both games, in all three zones. The only thing the Sioux had an edge in was faceoffs, and that didn't result in the puck possession time one would expect. The bigger SC D and forwards consistently won board battles with both the Sioux D and forwards; the only forward I saw that won several board battles was Tambellini, and he may have been out there against the smaller of the SC D when he won them. This Sioux team probably has to change the way they play, since they are rather small this year.

It was striking to see most of the ND Dmen next to the SC forwards. They looked tiny by comparison. Guess we'll find out if this team learns to play a BC type game, as their size will dictate.

There is no question, the boys got punched in the mouth this weekend... hopefully they learn from this and recover. If they don't, it will be a long season.

On a side note, did anyone notice Parks swing his stick and make contact with a st cloud players head? This was right after he was put on his butt and embarrassed trying to cross the center line with the puck. It sure looked to me like he tried to do it on purpose and if that is the case he should sit a game or two. Absolutely no room for that in hockey.

Mark Mac's line just has to show up next week and that will be an improvement.

The Junior class showed signs the first couple weeks, but have done very little since. We need more than just minutes from these guys, and I am lumping Rocco in this group as well.

Seeing Parks get hammered at the blue line with about 6 minutes left in the game pretty much summed up the entire weekend.